+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wales official song

Re: Wales official song

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Some of the people commenting here may as well go and support England in the world cup. I think one commentor on another thread actually threatened to go support England..
    Absolutely.

I enjoyed it, great song and video. I still haven’t seen much promotion for coverage of the World Cup yet on the TV channels

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yma O Hyd is about Wales still being here, with its language and traditions, despite everything that has happened to Wales. Miners strikes, mining, Tryweryn, all things that have hurt Wales big time. There were videos of people being arrested for supporting the Welsh language (I think). Wales has stood up to things that has hurt the country. We're still here.
    Exactly. An emotional tub-thumper of a song and video that gets the tone and the message just right. It is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Exactly. An emotional tub-thumper of a song and video that gets the tone and the message just right. It is brilliant.
    And, for me, it's right that it's in Welsh as well.

And, for me, it's right that it's in Welsh as well.
    It would have been good to release an English language subtitled version of the song .......still sung in Welsh of course ....but with the meaning of the song underneath because that message is very strong ....and if you don't speak Welsh then it sort of puts a spanner in the spokes

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It would have been good to release an English language subtitled version of the song .......still sung in Welsh of course ....but with the meaning of the song underneath because that message is very strong ....and if you don't speak Welsh then it sort of puts a spanner in the spokes
    Of course.

now lets go to qatar and tell the little brown how to run his country

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    now lets go to qatar and tell the little brown how to run his country
    Why would we do that?

Why would we do that?
    thats good ,you are happy with qatar having the right to rule as it wants. thats the way it should be, They're still there

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    thats good ,you are happy with qatar having the right to rule as it wants. thats the way it should be, They're still there
    You only ever comment on here about politics , particularly race

Then whoosh .....you vanish

Its a bit odd

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You only ever comment on here about politics , particularly race

Then whoosh .....you vanish

Its a bit odd
    it's the official world cup song therefore football. sorry for vanishing but i still love you.

Dafydd Iwan is on BBC Breakfast after 8.30 this morning to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dafydd Iwan is on BBC Breakfast after 8.30 this morning to talk about it.
    Let's hope the interview turns into something similar to Martin Brennan and Alan Partridge.

Be great to see old Daf shout Meibion Glyndwr at the end.

https://youtu.be/T-E7n4ypve4

Ali used to play this regularly at Ninian Park and nobody seemed to mind then?

The song itself is about how Wales has retained its culture, its language, and its identity over centuries of turbulent history. I don't see how it's a radical, divisive, or inappropriate choice. The football team is representing Wales, not the UK.

Don't forget that most of the world still thinks Wales is part of England, if they even know it exists at all. Things like this are a great opportunity to explain and highlight the complexities of our history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Ali used to play this regularly at Ninian Park and nobody seemed to mind then?

The song itself is about how Wales has retained its culture, its language, and its identity over centuries of turbulent history. I don't see how it's a radical, divisive, or inappropriate choice. The football team is representing Wales, not the UK.

Don't forget that most of the world still thinks Wales is part of England, if they even know it exists at all. Things like this are a great opportunity to explain and highlight the complexities of our history and culture.
    My thoughts exactly. WE ARE STILL HERE.

International

Crackin, I loves it I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    What song would you like? Green green grass?
    A country song about a jailbird? Bit controversial if you ask me. I should imagine God Save The King would be more his speed.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Crackin, I loves it I do.
    Love that. Although could do with the players in the studio somehow like the manics one! Will there be a CD of this or is that now officially obsolete

On the point of Welsh nationalism being on the rise. That's not because of the Welsh football team. It also won't rise more because of the song being on a Welsh football team world cup video. I don't see an issue at all.
    How the current UK government has continued to operate will have promoted the nationalists agendas beyond what they could have hoped.