Thread: Don't wanna be an American Idiot

Don't wanna be an American Idiot

Watching the coverage of the American mid terms

These trump republicans are completely unhinged

USA !

Hello fellow Patriots !

God is Good !

That's one of his wannabee senators

They still think the elections were stolen .....despite 60 court cases being unable to find any evidence whatsoever

Absolutely Potty

Re: Don't wanna be an American Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

USA !

Hello fellow Patriots !

God is Good !

They still think the elections were stolen .....despite 60 court cases being unable to find any evidence whatsoever

Absolutely Potty
    Most people are unhinged, you just don't notice it because of belief bias. It's always been us against them since the beginning of time

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

USA !

Hello fellow Patriots !

God is Good !

Absolutely Potty
    Don't forget guns and book burnings..

We should all be grateful we weren't born in the USA and, for all it's faults, we live in a relatively sane country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We should all be grateful we weren't born in the USA and, for all it's faults, we live in a relatively sane country.
    The last US election was a case of lunacy v senility. They know how to pick 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The last US election was a case of lunacy v senility. They know how to pick 'em!
    Civil war beckons methinks. If that's what they call democracy I don't want any of it.

Civil war beckons methinks. If that's what they call democracy I don't want any of it.
    I was watching some of the mid term coverage and was thinking similarly what an absolute basketcase of a country it is.

Then I remembered that the tories won a landslide victory at the last election because so many people wanted to make trading with the biggest trading bloc in the world more difficult

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I was watching some of the mid term coverage and was thinking similarly what an absolute basketcase of a country it is.

Then I remembered that the tories won a landslide victory at the last election because so many people wanted to make trading with the biggest trading bloc in the world more difficult
    You're right, it's frightening what slick campaigning can achieve. Some people lose their marbles.

You're right, it's frightening what slick campaigning can achieve. Some people lose their marbles.
    We are not behind the stateside feckwits

Hopefully our right wing loons get voted out soon.

Billionaire spending in mid term elections in the USA. How can anyone defend this?

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1...YhEyTnZlw&s=19

Not turning out to be the walkover for the Republicans that many expected at the moment - still nothing confirmed, but they only look like winning the House of Representatives, the Senate is looking like it's staying Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not turning out to be the walkover for the Republicans that many expected at the moment - still nothing confirmed, but they only look like winning the House of Representatives, the Senate is looking like it's staying Democrat.
    Good to see the conspiracy lunatics do worse than expected. I read that young people vote democrat in the USA with a 27% margin.

Younger people are beyond fed up of corrupt boomer politics that refuses to actually solve problems, every election the boomer tantrum gets weaker and weaker and I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Good to see the conspiracy lunatics do worse than expected. I read that young people vote democrat in the USA with a 27% margin.

Younger people are beyond fed up of corrupt boomer politics that refuses to actually solve problems, every election the boomer tantrum gets weaker and weaker and I can't wait.

The thing is, I can remember what the boomer generation was like when it was your age or younger and it certainly wouldn't have been characterised as right wing to the degree it is now. I won't be around to see it, but I'll practically guarantee that your generation and younger will go the same way as the boomers have - it's a fact of life that most people drift to the right politically as they get older. Your generation will be getting it in the neck from the youngsters in thirty years time just like mine does now from people like you.

The thing is, I can remember what the boomer generation was like when it was your age or younger and it certainly wouldn't have been characterised as right wing to the degree it is now. I won't be around to see it, but I'll practically guarantee that your generation and younger will go the same way as the boomers have - it's a fact of life that most people drift to the right politically as they get older. Your generation will be getting it in the neck from the youngsters in thirty years time just like mine does now from people like you.
    Possibly. Although the majority of boomers are set with houses they own and good pensions. I don’t think the same will be said for my generation when we’re in our 50’s and 60’s.

I agree in the past this is true but I don't think it is now. The generational contract that things will be better for the next generation has been broken, things aren't even the same they're worse and I don't think young people will forget this.

I will always vote for the benefit of younger people.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I agree in the past this is true but I don't think it is now. The generational contract that things will be better for the next generation has been broken, things aren't even the same they're worse and I don't think young people will forget this.

I will always vote for the benefit of younger people.
    Fair points made, this is the first time in my life that I’ve not thought that things are going to be better for the next generation so you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Possibly. Although the majority of boomers are set with houses they own and good pensions. I don’t think the same will be said for my generation when we’re in our 50’s and 60’s.
    Probably so, but there will be a “normal” way of living which will not include owning your own home. I’m not convinced that it is solely owning their own homes that makes people more right wing as they get older.

Probably so, but there will be a “normal” way of living which will not include owning your own home. I’m not convinced that it is solely owning their own homes that makes people more right wing as they get older.
    It's not solely that no. But it's a symptom of the growing gap between the upper and working class populations and the growing wealth inequality between them.
    I'm not saying things were easy 50/60 years ago, but it was possible for a working man and his unemployed wife to buy a house and raise a family on the wage of a miner/factory worker/teacher/shopkeeper/etc. That was the case for my grandparents on both sides of the family. Even in the cheapest northern towns you wouldn't be able to do that these days.
    As said above, the future isn't bright for my generation. My life would have to drastically change for the Conservatives' policies to even come close to benefitting me and thus getting my vote.

It's not solely that no. But it's a symptom of the growing gap between the upper and working class populations and the growing wealth inequality between them.
    I'm not saying things were easy 50/60 years ago, but it was possible for a working man and his unemployed wife to buy a house and raise a family on the wage of a miner/factory worker/teacher/shopkeeper/etc. That was the case for my grandparents on both sides of the family. Even in the cheapest northern towns you wouldn't be able to do that these days.
    As said above, the future isn't bright for my generation. My life would have to drastically change for the Conservatives' policies to even come close to benefitting me and thus getting my vote.
    Basically, for the Tories to benefit you, you would have to become rich in the first place.

Yes, I think my parents paid less than £5k for the council house they were in back in the seventies.

Can’t help thinking this would have been a much more popular thread if Biden and the Democrats had taken a kicking.

It is always difficult to compare across generations and changing circumstances, but when it comes to affordable housing and access to state benefits the UK has become a much harsher and more difficult place. I went to university at the end of the 70s and my fees were paid (there was means testing but the bar was high), I claimed housing and other out-of-work benefits, and I could find somewhere affordable to live (private rented, council housing and finally owner occupied) without much trouble (in Bristol and in Sheffield). Housing quality wasn't great but it was the same for everyone. We bought a small mid-terrace in 1986 for £15,600 - which was just over our combined annual gross salary. That would be impossible now.

It did feel as if we went through life with the doors slamming shut behind us - exactly what you and Doucas are saying. Although at the same time we lived through Thatcher and the worst of post-war UK unemployment in the mid 1980s and in some ways you won't recognise it was worse.

But the accessible and affordable housing, the better benefits, the pensions and the rest did not just drop into our laps out of the benevolence of the government of the day. People organised to achieve those things, through trades unions and campaign groups - they were the achievement of our generation and the ones that came before from the 1920s to the 1980s. Everyone I knew at work was a trade union member - the closed shop was a fact for some of that time but there was also a greater understanding of the need for collectivism. Many of Thatcher's Children refused to join trades unions or fight for wages and conditions - and now they and the generation that came after can't afford to rent or buy, are paying off student loans, and are the first casualties of austerity.

There are many strands to the story.

Can’t help thinking this would have been a much more popular thread if Biden and the Democrats had taken a kicking.
    Bob,

You need to realise that there is at least a 48 air gap between any event and the gifted and talented telling you how stupid you have been. That's the minimum time it takes for very manipulative people to message manipulative people to message very stupid easily manipulated people.

Give it a few days and this board will be awash with tales of unverified postal ballots, Dominion Servers and piles of votes dumped in ditches.

Patience!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Bob,

You need to realise that there is at least a 48 air gap between any event and the gifted and talented telling you how stupid you have been. That's the minimum time it takes for very manipulative people to message manipulative people to message very stupid easily manipulated people.

Give it a few days and this board will be awash with tales of unverified postal ballots, Dominion Servers and piles of votes dumped in ditches.

Patience!