+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

Cardiff City have offered Mark Hudson the manager's position to the end of the season.

Former captain Hudson stepped up as interim boss following the departure of Steve Morison in September.

Hudson met club owner Vincent Tan ahead of Tuesday night's 3-2 Championship home defeat to Hull City, where he was offered the role and a contract until the end of the campaign.

"We have agreed to keep him for manager for this season," Tan said.

"He has a contract to manage to the end of the season, unless of course he does badly. But I have faith in Mark, I think he can do a good job."

Speaking after the defeat to Hull, Hudson confirmed he had "good conversations" with Tan, but needed to finalise a couple of points before officially being named manager.

"There's just a few more pieces that need to be put together," said Hudson.

"I'll speak to him [Tan] later and the board and have a few more discussions in the coming days.

"Ultimately that [defeat] wasn't the way we wanted to see tonight go but there's just those little bits to sort."

Tan had talks with Hudson, his new assistant Dean Whitehead, coach Tom Ramasut and goalkeeper coach Graham Stack.

The Cardiff owner said: "We have an understanding they will do their very best to do a good job for this club and who knows we may be able to make it to the play-offs, and who knows may be able to win the play-offs and be in the Premier League. I believe it's possible."

Tan said he would support Hudson in the January transfer window if the deals "make sense" and avoided what he called "stupid" mistakes of the past, citing the signings of Denmark striker Andreas Cornelius and midfielder Josh Murphy.

Cornelius was signed for £7.5m from FC Copenhagen in June 2013 but within six months was back in the Danish capital, having played little more than 100 minutes of football over 11 games and scored no goals for the Bluebirds.

Murphy joined Cardiff from Norwich City for £11m in June 2018 and played 30 games, scoring three times in his first season in Wales - then bettering that in 2019/2020 with eight goals over 33 games.

He remained a regular the following season but by 2021/2022 had fallen out of favour. When his contract expired in July 2022, Murphy joined League One side Oxford United as a free agent.

'Many approaches'

Tan, who said he watches every game via television wherever he is in the world, underlined his determination to continue at the helm, claiming he had already committed more than £200m into the outfit, an amount he called "embarrassing".

"A big part of my wealth has gone to Cardiff, all my family members want me to sell ASAP," Tan said.

"But I say when the time is right we will but the time is not right, yet."

The Cardiff owner revealed he had received offers to sell the Championship outfit, but had rejected them.

"We have had many approaches but we have turned them down for many reasons. Most of the time it is that I am not really very keen to sell. I think we should take it up to the Premier League," he added.

"And I hope we can do it and that will be the third time, then think about selling.

"Maybe I will decide to stay, maybe we will stay in the PL for 10 years. Who knows."

Interim boss Hudson said he believes Tan matches the ambition of the players and coaching staff at the club.

"He's got a plan for the future which is good, it shows support and that's what the club needs," Hudson added.

"We need everyone together heading in the right direction so the conversations were good."

And Tan has a blunt message for those Cardiff fans unhappy with his reign.

"I am not turning my back on the club. For those guys who want Tan out, if they are so smart maybe they should ask a rich Welshman, probably a billionaire, to buy this club," Tan said.

"Get this new owner to take them to the Premier League and ask them to keep them in the Premier League for the next 10 years. That is my goal and I hope I can do it.

"A big part of my wealth is invested here and I hope it is not all lost."

Re: More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

Tan is mental.

Some of those quotes are bordering on delusional

The immediate aim is to ensure this club stays up

Relegation would be a colossal disaster and it would take many years to recover

We are scraping 16000 now

This club will leak fans if we go down

Talk of the play offs is completely crazy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You still believe this even though it has never happened to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff City have offered Mark Hudson the manager's position to the end of the season.

Former captain Hudson stepped up as interim boss following the departure of Steve Morison in September.

Hudson met club owner Vincent Tan ahead of Tuesday night's 3-2 Championship home defeat to Hull City, where he was offered the role and a contract until the end of the campaign.

"We have agreed to keep him for manager for this season," Tan said.

"He has a contract to manage to the end of the season, unless of course he does badly. But I have faith in Mark, I think he can do a good job."

Speaking after the defeat to Hull, Hudson confirmed he had "good conversations" with Tan, but needed to finalise a couple of points before officially being named manager.

"There's just a few more pieces that need to be put together," said Hudson.

"I'll speak to him [Tan] later and the board and have a few more discussions in the coming days.

"Ultimately that [defeat] wasn't the way we wanted to see tonight go but there's just those little bits to sort."

Tan had talks with Hudson, his new assistant Dean Whitehead, coach Tom Ramasut and goalkeeper coach Graham Stack.

The Cardiff owner said: "We have an understanding they will do their very best to do a good job for this club and who knows we may be able to make it to the play-offs, and who knows may be able to win the play-offs and be in the Premier League. I believe it's possible."

Tan said he would support Hudson in the January transfer window if the deals "make sense" and avoided what he called "stupid" mistakes of the past, citing the signings of Denmark striker Andreas Cornelius and midfielder Josh Murphy.

Cornelius was signed for £7.5m from FC Copenhagen in June 2013 but within six months was back in the Danish capital, having played little more than 100 minutes of football over 11 games and scored no goals for the Bluebirds.

Murphy joined Cardiff from Norwich City for £11m in June 2018 and played 30 games, scoring three times in his first season in Wales - then bettering that in 2019/2020 with eight goals over 33 games.

He remained a regular the following season but by 2021/2022 had fallen out of favour. When his contract expired in July 2022, Murphy joined League One side Oxford United as a free agent.

'Many approaches'

Tan, who said he watches every game via television wherever he is in the world, underlined his determination to continue at the helm, claiming he had already committed more than £200m into the outfit, an amount he called "embarrassing".

"A big part of my wealth has gone to Cardiff, all my family members want me to sell ASAP," Tan said.

"But I say when the time is right we will but the time is not right, yet."

The Cardiff owner revealed he had received offers to sell the Championship outfit, but had rejected them.

"We have had many approaches but we have turned them down for many reasons. Most of the time it is that I am not really very keen to sell. I think we should take it up to the Premier League," he added.

"And I hope we can do it and that will be the third time, then think about selling.

"Maybe I will decide to stay, maybe we will stay in the PL for 10 years. Who knows."

Interim boss Hudson said he believes Tan matches the ambition of the players and coaching staff at the club.

"He's got a plan for the future which is good, it shows support and that's what the club needs," Hudson added.

"We need everyone together heading in the right direction so the conversations were good."

And Tan has a blunt message for those Cardiff fans unhappy with his reign.

"I am not turning my back on the club. For those guys who want Tan out, if they are so smart maybe they should ask a rich Welshman, probably a billionaire, to buy this club," Tan said.

"Get this new owner to take them to the Premier League and ask them to keep them in the Premier League for the next 10 years. That is my goal and I hope I can do it.

"A big part of my wealth is invested here and I hope it is not all lost."
    Tan managed to get his crack pipe through customs, then.

Interesting that Murphy has now been chucked into the same bucket as Cornelius.
    Cornelius has gone on to relative success, whereas Murphy is now struggling to get a game at Oxford United.
    What do the Warnock Lovers think of this? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Interesting that Murphy has now been chucked into the same bucket as Cornelius.
    Cornelius has gone on to relative success, whereas Murphy is now struggling to get a game at Oxford United.
    What do the Warnock Lovers think of this? ��
    How the feck hasn't Tan worked out that we've made so little from the millions he's spent on utter gash?

QPR had 12k tonight and they are playing well. Of course our crowds will fall on relegationn.

Forget relegation. Watching the crap on show at our home games where bizarrely in our worst display for I dont know how long we manage to score more 1 for the 1st time then we are going to lose thousands I reckon on the gates next season.

Cost of living crisis as well no way even if we stay up you cant expect anything other than falling crowds with whats on offer at the CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    QPR had 12k tonight and they are playing well. Of course our crowds will fall on relegationn.
    Never in our history has our crowd dropped by anything remotely significantly after relegation from the 2nd tier. The damage to attendances has always happened in the 2nd tier. It seems to happen to lots of other clubs as well. If a relegated club starts well in the 3rd tier, it will almost always have better crowds than it did in the 2nd tier. That might sound daft but that's a regular occurrence.

12k for QPR is close to a full house.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Never in our history has our crowd dropped by anything remotely significantly after relegation from the 2nd tier. The damage to attendances has always happened in the 2nd tier. It seems to happen to lots of other clubs as well. If a relegated club starts well in the 3rd tier, it will almost always have better crowds than it did in the 2nd tier. That might sound daft but that's a regular occurrence.

12k for QPR is close to a full house.
    Didnt realise the capacity restriction at QPR.

QPR not exactly happy

Credit to Tan, he didn’t just go with the generic pre written statements you’d expect from distant owners. As deluded as I think he is, you can’t deny that that’s fighting talk.

I'm sick of him bringing up signings we made during pre seasons preparing for the Premier League as reasons not to spend now.

It is a totally different situation but here's news to you VT, you signed them off. You didn't do it with no knowledge of what was coming in. You did it as an owner who thinks he is the owner, DOF and all seeing eye. Teams make some bad signings when in the Premier League. That's life.

Glad he confirms that he received offers and has rejected them. Will be a bitter pill for some so called ITK members on here to admit.

I missed the play offs bit. Did he see the game last night? 😂

Premier League for ten years. 😂
    Let's try getting there, not whinging over signings that don't work out for years after and then try staying more than one year. We have the worst record of any team that has reached the Premier League twice in being relegated both times.

Some of the comments are like a sulking child.
    Yet some people still think this is the man to take the club forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Credit to Tan, he didn’t just go with the generic pre written statements you’d expect from distant owners. As deluded as I think he is, you can’t deny that that’s fighting talk.
    Fighting talk?

It was like the ramblings of a mad man.

Saying he spent £200 million and all his family want me to sell, but he won't despite receiving offers.

He is talking play offs while all around are thinking relegation more likely.

Still moaning about Cornelius and Murphy. Does he realise our Premier League losses are drops in the ocean compared to many. We hardly spent much at all in Premier League terms.

If that is fighting talk then somebody needs to throw the towel in.

I've heard that one of the rejected offers came from Max Boyce.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Fighting talk?

It was like the ramblings of a mad man.

Saying he spent £200 million and all his family want me to sell, but he won't despite receiving offers.

He is talking play offs while all around are thinking relegation more likely.

Still moaning about Cornelius and Murphy. Does he realise our Premier League losses are drops in the ocean compared to many. We hardly spent much at all in Premier League terms.

If that is fighting talk then somebody needs to throw the towel in.
    I think he’s nuts. But he didn’t give the cookie cutter template answers of a man hoping to sell up or who had lost interest is what I mean.

Supposedly over the past couple years he’s been wanting to sell up and this year there’s allegedly been 3 interested parties in taking us on. I think there’s a lot less truth in that after his comments yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I think he’s nuts. But he didn’t give the cookie cutter template answers of a man hoping to sell up or who had lost interest is what I mean.

Supposedly over the past couple years he’s been wanting to sell up and this year there’s allegedly been 3 interested parties in taking us on. I think there’s a lot less truth in that after his comments yesterday.
    The way I look at it, if you were interviewing a potential owner for the position if we had an embarrassment of interest and he came out with that stuff in the interview would you put him in charge?

For me he wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Play offs and Premier League at the end of this season talk? Staying ten years in the Premier League? Still moaning about a combined £17.5 million spent in two Premier League visits (signings he oversaw as owner and ultimate decision maker)? Those signings still affecting his willingness to back a totally new manager now is bizarre.
    Are there any owners out there that use signings under former managers as reason for potentially not backing the current manager? It is odd.

The owner seems as far removed from the realities of football as he has ever been. The state the club is in is down to him and the people he has employed. He has spent £200m. He sees it as a boast. He has absolutely nothing to show for it outside of two fleeting and failed spells in the Premier League.

That interview to me is not the type of thing I want to hear from somebody who is to take this club forward.
    It screams 'The club are in a bad state, I have spent a shedload and am taking no personal responsibility for any of it'.
    The talk of possible promotion is most worrying.
    It is dml levels of delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The immediate aim is to ensure this club stays up

Relegation would be a colossal disaster and it would take many years to recover

We are scraping 16000 now

Talk of the play offs is completely crazy
    Wonder what he will make of league 1…….

If that interview does not set alarm bes ringing in even the most staunch of Tan fans than I'm not sure what will.

I am amazed at how out of touch the people running the club seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If that interview does not set alarm bes ringing in even the most staunch of Tan fans than I'm not sure what will.

I am amazed at how out of touch the people running the club seem to be.
    Obsessed multi.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Obsessed multi.
    Says the Tan apologist and blinkered supporter.

Why would I need a multi you lemon? I post here as myself and with my views.

If I was to guess actual multis round here it would be you, dml and maybe a token nutter thrown in.

Suppose that was a great interview.
    Play offs? 😂 Premier League? 😂
    With this squad.

Why not finish the stand up routine by saying we target the Champions League in 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Tan is mental.
    Almost as mental as bluelewj

Id love to know more about these "offers"

I would have thought serious buyers would have been public knowledge.

If its Sam Hammam and a ludicrous bid at least we can laught it off and say carry on Vin.