+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

Re: More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I reckon bluearmy86, his last comment was a giveaway "Or maybe, he's planning on making signings in January. This owner has helped us get to the top flight twice already. I wouldn't completely write him off. I just can't see us making a push this season. Stranger things have happened though."
    Good point that. That one went under the radar.

It could be me. I'm just playing the most robust of double bluffs....

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm almost certain that Tan is a factor, along with strength of squad, money available etc.
    Would a trigger happy owner running things on a shoe string with no vision scare anybody, regardless of their line of work?

When put up against clubs in the Championship of our size with a decent owner and money available then I don't think we would come into any progressive manager's thought process really.
    I think when you look at all of our recent Managers, (Warnock aside), they came as a gamble for City, and for the Managers because they wouldn't get a better job elsewhere so they were equally happy to have a shot in the dark at it

Good point that. That one went under the radar.

It could be me. I'm just playing the most robust of double bluffs....
    Thanks for your efforts but time to go, just sell it to someone who will take us forwards, please.

I think when you look at all of our recent Managers, (Warnock aside), they came as a gamble for City, and for the Managers because they wouldn't get a better job elsewhere so they were equally happy to have a shot in the dark at it
    Without doubt.

Who would employ those people other than city, at our level at least?
    The answer lies in where they were before and where they are now. Nowhere mainly or at a lower level.

But the same people who oversaw this conveyor belt of garbage managers apparently came up with a master plan to land Warnock? I feel bad for the people who think Warnock and his appointment was in any way planned in any more detail than any of the other gambles.

We just struck it lucky with a manager who was a master manipulator and was as good, if not better, at managing up as he was managing the playing side of it.

I reckon bluearmy86, his last comment was a giveaway "Or maybe, he's planning on making signings in January. This owner has helped us get to the top flight twice already. I wouldn't completely write him off. I just can't see us making a push this season. Stranger things have happened though."
    I just hope I'm not on his blocked list

Out of all our managers under Tan almost all (Warnock's unsuccessful spell with Boro and Ole's lottery win United gig aside) have gone on to either go back to being unemployed or managed at significantly lower levels.

The last manager we employed and moved from another club was Russel Slade.

Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County.
    Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed.
    Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed.
    Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest
    Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed
    Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager
    McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed
    Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed.
    Hudson - Employed from within

It is quite grim when looking at where most of them are now.
    After Slade to say that the appointments have been done on the cheap, compensation wise, would be an understatement and most haven't exactly gone on to light up the football world.

Out of all our managers under Tan almost all (Warnock's unsuccessful spell with Boro and Ole's lottery win United gig aside) have gone on to either go back to being unemployed or managed at significantly lower levels.

Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed.

After Slade to say that the appointments have been done on the cheap, compensation wise, would be an understatement and most haven't exactly gone on to light up the football world.
    But we quickly tie them down with a contract so as not to lose them as soon as they have a run of form.
    Or in Hudson's case, quickly tie him down with a contract despite not having a run of form (good form)

But we quickly tie them down with a contract so as not to lose them as soon as they have a run of form.
    Or in Hudson's case, quickly tie him down with a contract despite not having a run of form (good form)
    Yeah. It is anybody's guess as to why we do that?
    An outsider looking in might suggest we have little idea what we're doing here.

I'm more worried that we seem to be fishing in the out of a job manager market and those managers in the main achieve little here and move on to jobs at lower levels after here.

The 'Transfer Committee' and 'Great Owner' for you ladies and gentlemen.

Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County. You've ignored the racist, sexism and antisemitic comments he was found to have made which clearly damaged his career prospects and rightly so. You've also ignored his failed spell at Wigan, with a win rate of 20%.
    Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed. Think he also managed a pretty big club, not sure who though.
    Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed. Employed to keep us up after Ole whilst cutting costs; sure the football was crap but he did the job he was employed to do.
    Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest. It's entirely feasible Trollope was groomed to replace Slade in a similar way that Liverpool used to promote from within. Not all coaches make great managers, swing and a miss corrected quickly.
    Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed Managed Middlesboro after us, currently retired. Had the most success of the managers on this list by a mile.
    Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager Was unemployed for 6 weeks after being fired by Millwall. Currently tearing up few trees at Gillingham.
    McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed. An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock, possibly. First part season, a success. The start of the second, poor, possibly having lost the dressing room in the process - Moore in particular seemed to be pouting having not got a move to Wolves.
    Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed. Formerly u23 manager, tasked with helping produce youngsters for the first time who seemingly had little faith in the youngsters given the numbers released or not used.
    Hudson - Employed from within Interim manager until end of the season.

Seems a fairly broad mix there - some young, upcoming, some experienced and Slade hired to stabilise after Ole. Mistakes have clearly been made but that can be said of many clubs.

There have been improvements under Hudson, certainly attacking wise, but there are still issues within the squad. We've too many underperforming players who many championed after a pre-season of beating up lower league clubs. Too many players who are going missing - players Morison bigged up with them having 900 Championship games under their belts.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County. You've ignored the racist, sexism and antisemitic comments he was found to have made which clearly damaged his career prospects and rightly so. You've also ignored his failed spell at Wigan, with a win rate of 20%.
    Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed. Think he also managed a pretty big club, not sure who though.
    Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed. Employed to keep us up after Ole whilst cutting costs; sure the football was crap but he did the job he was employed to do.
    Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest. It's entirely feasible Trollope was groomed to replace Slade in a similar way that Liverpool used to promote from within. Not all coaches make great managers, swing and a miss corrected quickly.
    Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed Managed Middlesboro after us, currently retired. Had the most success of the managers on this list by a mile.
    Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager Was unemployed for 6 weeks after being fired by Millwall. Currently tearing up few trees at Gillingham.
    McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed. An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock, possibly. First part season, a success. The start of the second, poor, possibly having lost the dressing room in the process - Moore in particular seemed to be pouting having not got a move to Wolves.
    Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed. Formerly u23 manager, tasked with helping produce youngsters for the first time who seemingly had little faith in the youngsters given the numbers released or not used.
    Hudson - Employed from within Interim manager until end of the season.

Seems a fairly broad mix there - some young, upcoming, some experienced and Slade hired to stabilise after Ole. Mistakes have clearly been made but that can be said of many clubs.

There have been improvements under Hudson, certainly attacking wise, but there are still issues within the squad. We've too many underperforming players who many championed after a pre-season of beating up lower league clubs. Too many players who are going missing - players Morison bigged up with them having 900 Championship games under their belts.
    Did you miss the first paragraph purposely?

Also some comments such as 'An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock'. A manager employed to produce success? Who would have thought it.

Trollope employed to be promoted from within in the same style as Liverpool is one of the funniest things I've read on here.

You could argue there is a fairly broad mix if you want to split hairs.
    You could also say since Slade barring Warnock they've had a lot in common in that they are cheap, ultimately crap and not wanted elsewhere at this level.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Don’t know why he just doesn’t give the Club away. Some believe there are billionaires out the just aching to take over Cardiff City, sorry but they ain’t around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Don’t know why he just doesn’t give the Club away. Some believe there are billionaires out the just aching to take over Cardiff City, sorry but they ain’t around.
    I totally agree with that

But clearly he should have experienced football men ....or women .....in charge of his investment over here

Damned if he does and doesn't do what exactly?

If he runs the football club well and actually learnt from mistakes then I am sure most fans would be satisfied. Increasing debt while overseeing a complete basket case of a club is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I totally agree with that

But clearly he should have experienced football men ....or women .....in charge of his investment over here
    Yes he should have better people overseeing the running of the Club. Big mistake that he hasn’t.

Tan took over as owner in May 2010. That means he's spent 12 years and £200m turning a side that finished 4th in the Championship to a side that is currently 18th in the same division.

Well done, Vinnie. That's a big achievement.

Damned if he does and doesn't do what exactly?

If he runs the football club well and actually learnt from mistakes then I am sure most fans would be satisfied. Increasing debt while overseeing a complete basket case of a club is totally different.

Whatever he does is wrong in most fans eyes, especially those who have the biggest “pull”.

Whatever he does is wrong in most fans eyes, especially those who have the biggest “pull”.
    What has he done well in your eyes outside of putting money into the club? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you think there is any in depth method or thinking in our managerial appointments? Why does nobody else seem to want the managers we get?

The transfer committee have a hands on involvement in signing players (along with the manager they have picked) and Vincent Tan signs them off ultimately. Is it then fair for VT and the board to throw that manager under the bus and remove themselves from blame every time?

I've no axe to grind regarding Tan's financial commitment to the club - for someone who knew next to nothing about football delivering 2 promotions to the top flight and putting in £200 million into the club - he deserves credit and perhaps little bit of respect. Where I do think he's gone wrong is leaving the management of the club to a couple of part-timers, and overseeing major decisions from 1000's of miles away. It doesn't make business sense, and when things aren't going well on the pitch it feels as though the club is just treading water, somewhat 'neglected'.
    You need involvement from owners/management even if it's just to make fans feel it's a club with a heart. At the moment it feels like a lock-up at the rear of an old industrial estate. For all his faults Hamman created that 'buzz' - and that's what the club needs right now IMHO..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've no axe to grind regarding Tan's financial commitment to the club - for someone who knew next to nothing about football delivering 2 promotions to the top flight and putting in £200 million into the club - he deserves credit and perhaps little bit of respect. Where I do think he's gone wrong is leaving the management of the club to a couple of part-timers, and overseeing major decisions from 1000's of miles away. It doesn't make business sense, and when things aren't going well on the pitch it feels as though the club is just treading water, somewhat 'neglected'.
    You need involvement from owners/management even if it's just to make fans feel it's a club with a heart. At the moment it feels like a lock-up at the rear of an old industrial estate. For all his faults Hamman created that 'buzz' - and that's what the club needs right now IMHO..
    I agree that he deserves some respect, he's kept the club running, as I think he and many others have said there's no big queue of Welsh businessmen looking to take it over. I do think the decisions he's made are because he thinks they're the right ones. His intentions are good but generally speaking the results aren't.

But that's the trouble, the club is being run blind and with decisions being made based on guesswork and hoping to have a bit of luck. It's no wonder that we're in the position that we are, and have no direction. I don't think that will change, because he thinks his decisions are right. Unless his mum tells him.

When "we" say Tan's put 200 million into the club, is this then the assumption he'll walk away for free, or he'll recover most if not the majority of that?

What has he done well in your eyes outside of putting money into the club? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you think there is any in depth method or thinking in our managerial appointments? Why does nobody else seem to want the managers we get?

The transfer committee have a hands on involvement in signing players (along with the manager they have picked) and Vincent Tan signs them off ultimately. Is it then fair for VT and the board to throw that manager under the bus and remove themselves from blame every time?
    Keeping the Club afloat, overseeing 2 promotions to the PL even though they didn’t work out.
    Mistakes, not employing the right people to run the Club properly, directors and managers.
    The way people act on here it’s as if buyers are queuing to takeover the Club. They aren’t.
    Better the devil you know as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I wonder how much of it, is just posturing?
    He's hardly likely to say, I want rid of this business quickly is he?
    I still think we'll have new owners before the season is out
    Not 100% on new owners before the end of the season, but I'm inclined to agree re: the posturing.

Tan isn't going to say outright he wants to sell; that only devalues his asset and he'll end up with less money than he's probably looking for. Admitting he wants to sell weakens his position financially.

If he talks up the club of being in the Premier League then (at a guess...) he's trying to talk up the standing and potential of the club and where it can go - and essentially increase the money someone will pay for it.

My guess is he would sell, he just hasn't been offered the money he wants for it yet.

He needed to make a call on Hudson, but getting him in to the end of the season only means any new buyers wouldn't have a long, bit cost contract they'd be liable for.

At a guess, I think once/if Sala is resolved, at least in some shape or form, we'll see a new owner. I can't see a new owner coming in while that's still hanging over the club; I don't think anyone with sense would touch the club (for now) with that case still hanging over it.

Just a thought though of course.

Keeping the Club afloat, overseeing 2 promotions to the PL even though they didn’t work out.
    Mistakes, not employing the right people to run the Club properly, directors and managers.
    The way people act on here it’s as if buyers are queuing to takeover the Club. They aren’t.
    Better the devil you know as they say.
    Agree to a point but you can't keep making the same mistakes time and time again and not have supporters get frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Tan took over as owner in May 2010. That means he's spent 12 years and £200m turning a side that finished 4th in the Championship to a side that is currently 18th in the same division.

Well done, Vinnie. That's a big achievement.
    I guess we have forgotten about the court cases every month or 2, owing money to numerous people, Oh for the days before VT took over, Scam and the Riddler running things oh how we enjoyed them days, HMRC threading us every month, selling ST in advance to pay some Bills

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I guess we have forgotten about the court cases every month or 2, owing money to numerous people, Oh for the days before VT took over, Scam and the Riddler running things oh how we enjoyed them days, HMRC threading us every month, selling ST in advance to pay some Bills
    That has nothing to do with whether you think that £200m represents money well spent.