+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Qatar. If all is to be believed on the news

Qatar. If all is to be believed on the news

About the death of lots of migrant workers, forced to work in very high temperatures, not paid on time and some not paid at all coupled with the countries archaic human rights and the blatant and obvious bribes paid to FIFA, then even this close to the tournament, i’d love Wales to pull out, and make a stance, or come to that, any participating country to pull out.
    They say to never mix politics and sport, but football was quick enough to get involved with BLM, but not so much in this case.

Re: Qatar. If all is to be believed on the news

All this noise now in the build up to the tournament. Qatar this Qatar is that.
    The reality is that once it has finished everyone will move on and forgot those very issues they feel compelled to voice now.

Look at the group we are in. Iran? Enough said. USA? One of the most racist countries in the world. England? History of oppression and now look at Kent and the treatment of migrant workers.
    I could go right through the participating countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Look at the group we are in. Iran? Enough said. USA? One of the most racist countries in the world. England? History of oppression and now look at Kent and the treatment of migrant workers.
    I could go right through the participating countries.
    That’s an interesting take on it. So if my old man is a racist, my work colleague is a wife beater, my neighbour is homophobic, etc etc, i just accept and ignore.?
    We can’t change what’s happened in the past, but we can try and improve the future.
    Not having a go at you, just interested in folks opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    my old man is a racist, my work colleague is a wife beater, my neighbour is homophobic.
    Dear God, I sympathise

It's all too little too late. The Qatari's won't care about an arm band or politicians pulling out. They won't change because people tell them they are backward or threaten this or that, it's no way to encourage anyone of anything.

If people really want the situation to change there needed to proper dialogue and inclusion. Them having the world cup could have been used for this far greater than it has been.

People making noises at this late stage are pissing in the wind. If the FAs wanted to be hard-line on it then don't bother with qualifying. Refuse to go years ago.

I do wonder if any groups are planning any type of protest, every game live, perfect opportunity for getting a point across to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I do wonder if any groups are planning any type of protest, every game live, perfect opportunity for getting a point across to the world.
    I bet those oil protestors wouldn't last long in Qatar.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Never to be seen again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I bet those oil protestors wouldn't last long in Qatar.
    They'd be somewhere in the foundations of a new stadium if they did anything

About the death of lots of migrant workers, forced to work in very high temperatures, not paid on time and some not paid at all coupled with the countries archaic human rights and the blatant and obvious bribes paid to FIFA, then even this close to the tournament, i’d love Wales to pull out, and make a stance, or come to that, any participating country to pull out.
    They say to never mix politics and sport, but football was quick enough to get involved with BLM, but not so much in this case.
    I've consistently questioned the morality of this tournament how it was awarded , the players who are now so politically motivated the fans going or watching who continually point to so many injustices , the disgusting wages footballers earn anyway , the sponsors who control the image rights of the players ..

Wales ain't going to win it , or even get out of the group , they qualified big plus , FFS pull out and become global hero's .

Any country that has to pay fans to go and giving them £60 bucks per day spending to say nice things needs banning .

As its going ahead this is a call out to all of the gay community take the offer and go , glue yourselves to the goalposts , and make some noise

The hypocrisy of some watching this stinks

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I've consistently questioned the morality of this tournament how it was awarded , the players who are now so politically motivated the fans going or watching who continually point to so many injustices , the disgusting wages footballers earn anyway , the sponsors who control the image rights of the players ..

Wales ain't going to win it , or even get out of the group , they qualified big plus , FFS pull out and become global hero's .

Any country that has to pay fans to go and giving them £60 bucks per day spending to say nice things needs banning .

As its going ahead this is a call out to all of the gay community take the offer and go , glue yourselves to the goalposts , and make some noise

The hypocrisy of some watching this stinks
    You couldn't care less about migtant workers, working conditions, Women, LGBT rights, Corrupt murderous regimes etc. Your way of thinking a political beliefs would fit right in with the Qatari dictatorship.

It's abhorrent that Qatar is hosting it, for lots of reasons, but how many of us would actually sacrifice what could be our one and only chance to play on football's biggest stage because of FIFA's corruption?
    There are plenty of ways for players and coaches to embarrass FIFA and Qatar throughout the tournament though. I wonder how many will.

That’s an interesting take on it. So if my old man is a racist, my work colleague is a wife beater, my neighbour is homophobic, etc etc, i just accept and ignore.?
    We can’t change what’s happened in the past, but we can try and improve the future.
    Not having a go at you, just interested in folks opinions.
    I like that. It resonates.

I'm always concerned that I'll come across as some holier than thou individual when I say I want nothing to do with the WC and genuinely have zero interest in it. I fully understand people's excitement about it as Wales have qualified but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for international football anymore.

It is kind of crazy the whole thing when you break it down. Wales playing football in Qatar against Iran. It doesn't get much crazier than that.

As far as Qatar is concerned, I can't possibly support going to a country where many very close friends and colleagues would be arrested and imprisoned simply for loving one another.

Just to add, there's always the sniping about protesters but I don't think people realise just what sacrifice it takes (criminal records) and just how brave and tough some activists are. There's almost a sense of glee that protesters would be treated harshly in Qatar. Well, there are hundreds of activists currently imprisoned in this country without trial for over six months now and don't forget our own government have made it very difficult to protest with the introduction of some very draconian and harsh laws that would fit well in Qatari law and order tactics. We can all have a giggle about people actually doing something instead of typing on here like I am now, but how many are willing to put their lives and careers on the line for human rights and environmental issues?

Anyway, I digress. During this WC I'll watch any football other than the WC itself. I'll go to as many local matches as possible. I have zero interest in it. I wish everyone who's going well and be safe. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. I'm just stating my own position and really wish countries had just said, nope, this is wrong. We're not going, but I'm a dreamer though.