+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: With the £200m Tan has pumped into the club from his own pocket, should we be a side that is now hol

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 60.00%
  • No

8 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple poll - Tan's money

Simple poll - Tan's money

With the £200m Tan has pumped into the club from his own pocket, should we be a side that is now holding its own in the Premier League?

Re: Simple poll - Tan's money

We have obviously made mistakes with transfers but how much of that 200m spent was issues from previous regimes. Sam Pretty much sold anything he could while Ridsdale sold every income stream he could for as long as he could. My memory before Tan took over was court case after court case to wind us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    With the £200m Tan has pumped into the club from his own pocket, should we be a side that is now holding its own in the Premier League?
    Quite simply if clubs like Sunderland, Leeds , Norwich , Sheff Weds etc have no divine right to top flight football then nor do we

Tan has spent a lot of money propping up this football club because we don't bring enough money in through the gates to sustain our wage bills . Other chairman here have had to do the same or loan money to do so .

That being said he should have and should be using his money far more efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Quite simply if clubs like Sunderland, Leeds , Norwich , Sheff Weds etc have no divine right to top flight football then nor do we

Tan has spent a lot of money propping up this football club because we don't bring enough money in through the gates to sustain our wage bills . Other chairman here have had to do the same or loan money to do so .

That being said he should have and should be using his money far more efficiently
    I said nothing about a divine right. You're right about him using his money far more efficiently.

When you wax lyrical (as you always do) about supposedly bigger clubs than us, Fulham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Swansea, Burnley and others have done far better in the top division without spending the money we have in terms of getting there. Obviously things change when you're in the PL.

I said nothing about a divine right. You're right about him using his money far more efficiently.

When you wax lyrical (as you always do) about supposedly bigger clubs than us, Fulham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Swansea, Burnley and others have done far better in the top division without spending the money we have in terms of getting there. Obviously things change when you're in the PL.
    Well your question clearly leads to the conclusion that you think that his money should have us established as a Premier league club ?

What else is the point of your post ?
    Sheff Wed , Sunderland without a doubt bigger clubs than us , there is no supposedly about it

What is correct is that clubs smaller than us like Brentford , Bournemouth etc seem to be better run off and on the pitch than us

In that respect we are a walking basket case

I don't see the point of shouting at Tan across the oceans , he's made many mistakes and will probably make many more

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well your question clearly leads to the conclusion that you think that his money should have us established as a Premier league club ?

What else is the point of your post ?
    Sheff Wed , Sunderland without a doubt bigger clubs than us , there is no supposedly about it

What is correct is that clubs smaller than us like Brentford , Bournemouth etc seem to be better run off and on the pitch than us

In that respect we are a walking basket case

I don't see the point of shouting at Tan across the oceans , he's made many mistakes and will probably make many more
    There seems to have been a lot of opinion lately that Tan has wasted a lot of money and we should be doing better. This is nothing to do with any opinion I have, but starting a conversation opener.

Of course if the club had stayed in the Premier League for longer than a season at a time then the debt would have been a lot less too.

Vincent Tan says he's been involved with City since 2009. I thought it was 2010, but, taking the man on his word, this really is a simple matter. If you'd have said to your average City fan back then "we're going to have a billionaire become our owner, he'll spend £100 million plus (possibly £200 million) on the club and thirteen years later, he'll still be here with us one point above the Championship drop zone" would anyone have believed you?

Don't forget hat besides Tan's money, we had two seasons in the Prem - approx another £200 mil down the drain.
    So with in the region of £400 mil being spent over the years, then we really should be an established top -light side.
    But, as has been said, we a basket-case when it comes to rubbing the club.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Don't forget hat besides Tan's money, we had two seasons in the Prem - approx another £200 mil down the drain.
    So with in the region of £400 mil being spent over the years, then we really should be an established top -light side.
    Very right indeed.

People see promotion as Tan's greatest achievement, and arguably so, but we have failed miserably twice. Come back down and despite the PL millions he has still had to bail us out.

God knows where we would be without those buffer promotion years and parachute pavements.
    They papered over the cracks in many ways.

It is still happening now though. People holding up the fact that he wants promotion as some evidence that he has a plan. If that is a plan then it is the same one most of the other teams have, at least in a small way.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It is also a lot more than £400m as that is what Tan has put in.

The club generates cash itself through ticket sales, sponsorship, TV money and the like. The £200m Tan has had to put in is the shortfall apparently. Accounts dispute that figure but that's what he says he has put in.

International

No because he doesn't understand football, and doesn't realise that the Manager is the most important person at the club, followed by a director of football type person, to run the football side.

It's not what you spend it's how you spend it, he should have stuck to retail.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Vincent Tan says he's been involved with City since 2009. I thought it was 2010, but, taking the man on his word, this really is a simple matter. If you'd have said to your average City fan back then "we're going to have a billionaire become our owner, he'll spend £100 million plus (possibly £200 million) on the club and thirteen years later, he'll still be here with us one point above the Championship drop zone" would anyone have believed you?
    I don’t believe he’s lost 200 million, if he has he might aswell walk away now as he is clueless. He hasn’t though, he just likes to tell us that to make us appreciate it or something bizarre. Someone should remind him he does get cash in though from the poor unfortunates who go most weeks and just a little bit from sky…..or maybe Dalman hasn’t told him and just keeps the sky money himself?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was always possible, you had the example of Venky's at Blackburn, but no I thought he would have had more business nous and would have got a suitable football professional to advise and basically run the club, but he didn't and that's where it has all gone wrong.

If you put £200 miilion into your business which is 7000 miles away, you would think it prudent to put in a strong management structure with industry experience

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If you put £200 miilion into your business which is 7000 miles away, you would think it prudent to put in a strong management structure with industry experience
    And that to me is my problem with the owner in a nutshell.

If he did not continue to do things incorrectly then you could buy into it as a fan.
    He isn't. He seems to be guessing at running the club and seemingly ignoring all the signs that point to it being run badly.
    Just recently he has told us that he has had his pants pulled down over the Murphy transfer. This happened with his 'transfer committee' in place. Now I'm sorry but if your transfer committee do not have the knowledge to spot a very expensive mistake in the modern day the people you have in place are not up to it. Equally so, if he doesn't realise that transfers in football can be hit and miss then again, after over a decade here he is showing that he is wet behind the ears.

If you want a successful operation in anything then you put people who are experienced at and good at doing that thing in charge.
    We are not doing this basic thing at City and the owner continues to just play at running a club and a large portion of fans just lie down and accept it.
    Modern football summed up. Rich owner doing what he likes.

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    No which is what I said just above.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t believe he’s lost 200 million, if he has he might aswell walk away now as he is clueless. He hasn’t though, he just likes to tell us that to make us appreciate it or something bizarre. Someone should remind him he does get cash in though from the poor unfortunates who go most weeks and just a little bit from sky…..or maybe Dalman hasn’t told him and just keeps the sky money himself?
    I think this is nearer the mark. In my opinion Tan is a bullshitter and always tries to paint himself as a poor misfortunate. I believe if any of those so called offers had been anywhere near his own valuation he would have bitten their hands off.

At the moment he knows the club is in dire straits and there's no prospect of him getting his money back so he's just kicking the can down the road more in hope than expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think this is nearer the mark. In my opinion Tan is a bullshitter and always tries to paint himself as a poor misfortunate. I believe if any of those so called offers had been anywhere near his own valuation he would have bitten their hands off.

At the moment he knows the club is in dire straits and there's no prospect of him getting his money back so he's just kicking the can down the road more in hope than expectation.
    With the men he has on the board, the people they are employing as manager and the amount they're giving them to spend I'd put money on Burton getting to the Premier League before us.

Carry On Cardiff City.

We have also received payments of £290m for two stints in the PL (£120m under Malky & £170m under Warnock). That makes £490m which is a staggering amount of money for us to now be in the situation we are today.

StT.
    <><

So a couple of things:
    - Do the execs ever call on experts to help them with managerial appointments and/or strategic decisions?
    - Why aren’t the journalists giving them a harder time over the lack of a visible plan for the club? Tan says there is one (Dalman says there isn’t), so where is it?
    - Does the club benchmark itself against its rivals? Maybe they do, but they consider a “rival” to be in the 10th tier

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    With the men he has on the board, the people they are employing as manager and the amount they're giving them to spend I'd put money on Burton getting to the Premier League before us.

Carry On Cardiff City.
    Charles Hawtree (goalkeeper)

Kenneth Connor (RB)
    Bernard Bresslaw (CB)
    Peter Butterworth (CB)
    Jim Dale (LB)

Hattie Jacques (DM)
    Terry Scott (DM)
    Barbara Windsor (AM)

Jack Douglas (RW)
    Kenneth Williams (CF)
    Joan Simms (LW)

Sid James (manager)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Charles Hawtree (goalkeeper)

Kenneth Connor (RB)
    Bernard Bresslaw (CB)
    Peter Butterworth (CB)
    Jim Dale (LB)

Hattie Jacques (DM)
    Terry Scott (DM)
    Barbara Windsor (AM)

Jack Douglas (RW)
    Kenneth Williams (CF)
    Joan Simms (LW)

Sid James (manager)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    We have also received payments of £290m for two stints in the PL (£120m under Malky & £170m under Warnock). That makes £490m which is a staggering amount of money for us to now be in the situation we are today.

StT.
    <><
    If it’s £490m some bugger has been at it.

I can't think for the life of me work out what we've spent £200 million on.

We have had two seasons in the Premier League and two lots of parachute payments and still have that level of debt.