+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is this surreal for you??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this surreal for you??

Mexico 86 is the first world cup that I really remember properly.
    I remember 82 in spats but was just a bit young to really appreciate it. 86 is the first where I took a huge interest and followed most games and results.

In almost 40 years as a football fan, I (like most of you) have never seen Wales at a world cup.
    For me, that's like 9 or 10 world cups over that time period. For some on here, it will be a few more I'm sure.

Does this all feel a bit surreal to you?
    It feels both surreal and very bizarre to me if I'm honest.

Years ago myself and my mates would sort of joke about us never being at a world cup. I think, mentally, you kind of accepted that we just weren't good enough generally to qualify for the world cup.

All of a sudden, we're THERE...
    But not only are we there, after Euro 2016, we're going in with a belief that we can do some damage and rough up the unbearably arrogant Ingurlish...

Maybe it's the beers, maybe it's the time spent waiting for, and anticipating this moment, maybe it's the emotion. Maybe it's all three, but...

COME ON WAYULS, LET'S 'AVE IT!

Re: Is this surreal for you??

Yeah I’m with you, not sure how to react haha.

Yes it does. You would have to be in your 70's to remember Wales playing in a world cup. I can remember Mexico 1970 with Pele , Banks et al. In the 70's Scotland seemed to qualify a fair bit then Northern Ireland had their turn in the early 80's then Jack Charlton's Eire made it to a few tournaments after that but we always seemed to miss out. Been waiting all my life for this so however we do these are great times.

I'm too young for the Sweden 1958 WC.. i was happy we made the Euro's. i don't expect us to do well in the WC we are a small nation.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I'm too young for the Sweden 1958 WC.. i was happy we made the Euro's. i don't expect us to do well in the WC we are a small nation.
    I don't expect us to do particularly well either, but if we can upset our neighbours... That would put a smile on my face for starters 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Mexico 86 is the first world cup that I really remember properly.
    I remember 82 in spats but was just a bit young to really appreciate it. 86 is the first where I took a huge interest and followed most games and results.

In almost 40 years as a football fan, I (like most of you) have never seen Wales at a world cup.
    For me, that's like 9 or 10 world cups over that time period. For some on here, it will be a few more I'm sure.

Does this all feel a bit surreal to you?
    It feels both surreal and very bizarre to me if I'm honest.

Years ago myself and my mates would sort of joke about us never being at a world cup. I think, mentally, you kind of accepted that we just weren't good enough generally to qualify for the world cup.

All of a sudden, we're THERE...
    But not only are we there, after Euro 2016, we're going in with a belief that we can do some damage and rough up the unbearably arrogant Ingurlish...

Maybe it's the beers, maybe it's the time spent waiting for, and anticipating this moment, maybe it's the emotion. Maybe it's all three, but...

COME ON WAYULS, LET'S 'AVE IT!
    It's surreal all right. I'll watch the England games and the Wales games, but that's it for me. Awful atmosphere, and I think the players feel it as well. Bring on the Mexican waves..

I remember every World Cup since 1966 and, even after a close miss in 1994, I thought they were tournaments for other countries, not us. Still can’t really take it in that we’ll be playing in one in about an hour’s time.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's surreal all right. I'll watch the England games and the Wales games, but that's it for me. Awful atmosphere, and I think the players feel it as well. Bring on the Mexican waves..
    I detest the Mexican wave.