+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wilko Johnson

Wilko Johnson

Announced on twitter that he passed away on Monday.

I was too young to appreciate Dr Feelgood at the time, but his style and influence will live on.
    RIP

Re: Wilko Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Announced on twitter that he passed away on Monday.

I was too young to appreciate Dr Feelgood at the time, but his style and influence will live on.
    RIP
    I met his son a few years ago.
    Nice bloke he was.
    RIP Wilko.

This is the one where people of a certain generation will start looking over their shoulder for any signs of the grim reaper. This man was invincible the way he fought the Big C, and an inspiration in the way he continued to live his life.

An absolute legend who changed the music that followed, and an all round nice bloke.

RIP Wilko.

Great guitarist

Jam , Gang of Four etc all had this stabbing , chopping sound

First Team

Have seen him several times and a great entertainer.

When I first got into music it was via the pub rock scene which featured the likes of the Feelgoods.

Rip.

The Feelgoods were one of my favourites when I was a teenager. Seen them and Wilko over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    This is the one where people of a certain generation will start looking over their shoulder for any signs of the grim reaper. This man was invincible the way he fought the Big C, and an inspiration in the way he continued to live his life.

An absolute legend who changed the music that followed, and an all round nice bloke.

RIP Wilko.

Agree with all of that - thanks for the video as well.

Was actually listening to Milk and Alcohol when I saw this thread.

RIP

Another famous Johnson passes away - scored six in eight games for England.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-dies-aged-71

First Team

Wiko had left the band before they recorded Milk and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Wiko had left the band before they recorded Milk and alcohol.
    I wondered if that could be the case, but I thought it was recorded in the mid seventies. I realised I was wrong this afternoon when I watched a video of it and saw Wilco wasn’t in it.

Had the privilege to roadie for the man at his Cardiff gig , got invited back to a nice boozy after gig party in a Small Newport Road Hotel or B&B can't remember , the tour van stunk , we had to pick him of the floor in the changing room to get him up on stage due to over indulgences , once up he was off and rocking ...

Told some great stories afterwards , very intelligent told us he was an English Teacher for a brief period he had a big love of poetry.

I asked how he left the Feelgood's he simply said in a very cockney accent , he had a call from one night after a gig and Lee Brilleaux simply said ""**** off Wilko "" whcih he said was fair enough ..

RIP one of the best Telecaster players I've ever heard or witnessed on stage , he owned it , just loved that choppy sound, and his brilliant drug induced stage walk the man could flecking rock with the best

Wilko carried on his "choppy" style to play executioner Ser Ilyn Payne in Game of Thrones.
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Had the privilege to roadie for the man at his Cardiff gig , got invited back to a nice boozy after gig party in a Small Newport Road Hotel or B&B can't remember , the tour van stunk , we had to pick him of the floor in the changing room to get him up on stage due to over indulgences , once up he was off and rocking ...

Told some great stories afterwards , very intelligent told us he was an English Teacher for a brief period he had a big love of poetry.

I asked how he left the Feelgood's he simply said in a very cockney accent , he had a call from one night after a gig and Lee Brilleaux simply said ""**** off Wilko "" whcih he said was fair enough ..

RIP one of the best Telecaster players I've ever heard or witnessed on stage , he owned it , just loved that choppy sound, and his brilliant drug induced stage walk the man could flecking rock with the best

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

This was presumably not the one he played a couple of years ago with Norman Watt-Roy on bass? I'd imagine he'd calmed down a bit by then if only because of his pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    This was presumably not the one he played a couple of years ago with Norman Watt-Roy on bass? I'd imagine he'd calmed down a bit by then if only because of his pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
    At the Tramshed? I was there....

The only rock star born below sea level

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    God no just left Feelgoods .. CF Uni many years ago when I did some bouncing and roadie work for a few promotors mates , happy days indeed ..

[QUOTE=The Bloop;5366238]Announced on twitter that he passed away on Monday.

RIP[/QUOT

Saw Wilco with Dr Feelgood in September '76 at the Cardiff Capitol Theatre. Great band, great guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    At the Tramshed? I was there....
    Two of my favourite musicians

Big fan of Dr Feelgood's first 2 albums. If anyone hasn't seen the Julian Temple film 'Oil City Confidential' I can strongly recommend it. Up there with the best music documentary/films I've seen, and I've seen a lot.