+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 0 - 2 IRAN. Match thread

FT: WALES 0 - 2 IRAN. Match thread

Match officials:

Referee: Mario Escobar (GUA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Caleb Wales (TRI)
    Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos Mora Araya (CRC)
    Fourth Official: Maguette N'Diaye (SEN)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Djibril Camara (SEN)
    Video Assistant Referee: Drew Fischer (CAN)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
    Offside Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Taran (URU)
    Support Video Assistant Referee: Adil Zourak (MOR)
    Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bruno Pires (BRA)

Re: Friday: WALES v IRAN. Match thread, ko 10am

Wales face Iran in a crucial second World Cup match knowing victory would significantly enhance their chances of reaching the second round in Qatar.

Robert Page's side started with a 1-1 draw against the United States, while Iran were thrashed 6-2 by England.

Captain Gareth Bale will overtake team-mate Chris Gunter as Wales' most-capped man if he plays on Friday.

"It's an amazing achievement, it's an honour to represent my country so many times," said Bale, who has 109 caps.

"But it's more important that we try and get the victory. Hopefully we can and it'll make it even more special.

"It will be a difficult game versus Iran - they are a very good team. They are here for a reason, but of course we believe we can beat them."

Bale, 33, is already Wales' all-time leading scorer in men's football and he extended his record to 41 goals with a late penalty against the USA on Monday.

That match at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, also the venue for the Iran fixture, was Wales' first in a World Cup since 1958.

They seemed to be overawed by the magnitude of the occasion during a first half in which they were outplayed by the USA, but Page's men were much improved after the break and were well worth their point.

Wales cannot afford to start so slowly against Iran, who they must beat to have a realistic chance of reaching the last 16, with Group B favourites and early leaders England to come in their third and final group game on Tuesday.

"Iran are going to want a reaction from a disappointing defeat," said Page.

"I think they'd have looked at the fixtures and England was a free game for them. I think that's why the manager changed the shape, he changed it for that game. I think we won't be too surprised by the formation he picks. Both teams need to win."

As Page suggests, this is also an important match for Iran, who will almost certainly be heading for group-stage elimination if they suffer a second defeat from two.

Carlos Queiroz's side had kept clean sheets in six of their previous nine matches before they were crushed by a rampant England side on Monday.

"For us, the World Cup starts tomorrow [Friday]. We have two games and six points to play for," said Queiroz, a former Real Madrid manager and ex-assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

"Welcome to the big show for Wales after 64 years. It is incredible to see the Red Wall in the stadium.

"Wales play with character. It's like a party. A football party show."

Team news

Page says Wales midfielder Joe Allen is "fit and raring to go" after a hamstring injury which has kept the Swansea City player out since September.

Having trained alone since Wales arrived in Qatar, Allen joined the rest of the squad for Wednesday's session.

"To have him available is a massive boost for us with two games remaining," said Bale.

"Hopefully he can come on or start and he'll do what Joe Allen does best and cover every blade of grass."

Other than a "few tired bodies" following the opening draw against the USA, Page says his squad is fully fit.

Striker Kieffer Moore is in contention to start after a game-changing performance as a half-time substitute against the States.

Iran goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand will miss the match after getting concussed and breaking his nose against England.

Queiroz said: "There is medical protocol we need to respect and there is no way to move around the protocol, so he will not play."

Hope he plays 4-2-3-1
    Roberts - Davies - Rodon - Neco
    Allen - Ampadu
    Johnson - Ramsey - Bale
    Moore

Maybe James for Johnson but I’d prefer not

Just need to make sure we win.

Few people I've spoken to have said about putting a few on them for the goal difference, whilst nice I don't think it's realistic for us to be well beating a team that are ranked 20th, or well anyone really.

Can see it being very tight, hopefully with us at least scraping the win. Then hoping england hammer the states.

Watching England, they seemed to move the ball quickly without moving much if that makes sense? If Joe Allen is back I think he will help in that regard. Keep the ball moving, pull the Iraninans around and look for the spaces. It'll be interesting to see what Rob Page does with the starting XI. Will he start with the team that finished or will he want to get minutes into Joe Allen ahead of England?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Hope he plays 4-2-3-1
    Roberts - Davies - Rodon - Neco
    Allen - Ampadu
    Johnson - Ramsey - Bale
    Moore

Maybe James for Johnson but I’d prefer not
    Mepham played better than Rodon, so that would be my only change.

Agreed

Ideally we beat Iran, USA beat England and we only need a draw to finish above England. That would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My line up, too.

Really nervous about this one, as surely Iran will be looking for a reaction from their lacklustre defeat against England?

Ampadu, for either Johnson/James or even Bale (move Johnson/James forward)

Win the game first, then turn on the style

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Just need to make sure we win.

Few people I've spoken to have said about putting a few on them for the goal difference, whilst nice I don't think it's realistic for us to be well beating a team that are ranked 20th, or well anyone really.

Can see it being very tight, hopefully with us at least scraping the win. Then hoping england hammer the states.
    Agree, a scrappy 1-0 will do me.

Two changes I would make to that but otherwise very close to how I would want us to line up.
    Drop James for Wilson, and I think Ampadu will likely start ahead of Allen who will probably only have 30 mins or so later in the game.

Got into Cardiff city centre at 7.45 (for work) and there's already groups of lads in bucket hats looking for a pub.

Iran are shite. Easy win 3 nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Iran are shite. Easy win 3 nil.
    ""It will be a difficult game versus Iran - they are a very good team..." Gareth Bale.

Moore starts instead of James, only change to starting lineup.

Where is the pace ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Moore starts instead of James, only change to starting lineup.
    Allen and Ramsey in the middle. Be honest, if Ramsey plays like he did v USA , I'd much rather he doesn't play - at least to start.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ""It will be a difficult game versus Iran - they are a very good team..." Gareth Bale.
    Hes hardly likely to say they are shit is he.

Ive seen managers saying theyve had a good victory against a good Cardiff team and we know we are crap.😂

Ive seen managers saying theyve had a good victory against a good Cardiff team and we know we are crap.��
    iran finished ahead of Korea in qualifying, and beat Uruguay in a friendly recently, they aren't as bad as they appeared against England

Ive seen managers saying theyve had a good victory against a good Cardiff team and we know we are crap.😂
    True, but I don't think Iran will play as badly against us as they did against a very good England side. I don't think they'll trouble our defence too much - it's about creating chances and taking them -or 'it'.

I think the team selection committee (Bale, Rambo & Page) have picked quite a negative team. Unless Neco and Conner are out and out wingers

That linesman has to be a good omen

Problems for some Wales fans - they won't be in the Red Wall today!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63753544