+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan v England

Re: Pakistan v England

Apparently, Australia only took four wickets in the whole test when they played on the same ground earlier this year.

When you consider that, apart from the last wicket, England’s spinners made little contribution, it was a great effort by the seamers to force the result robinson’s test career started in an unfortunate manner, but he’s turning into a very good international bowler.

fair play they got the declaration absolutely spot on, very brave decision

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apparently, Australia only took four wickets in the whole test when they played on the same ground earlier this year.

When you consider that, apart from the last wicket, England’s spinners made little contribution, it was a great effort by the seamers to force the result robinson’s test career started in an unfortunate manner, but he’s turning into a very good international bowler.
    One of the interesting things for me was England's approach on the 4th evening.
    Knowing their most potent weapon today was going to be swing, particularly reverse swing, they spent the evening session bowling bouncers just to rough up the ball. Not many teams wouldn't put any slips in at the start of an innings.

I watched the highlights this afternoon (didn't follow the match itself) and every time the England fans sang their 'Mrs Robinson' homage to Ollie Robinson, I heard James Fox singing 'Here's to you Peter Whittingham' in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I watched the highlights this afternoon (didn't follow the match itself) and every time the England fans sang their 'Mrs Robinson' homage to Ollie Robinson, I heard James Fox singing 'Here's to you Peter Whittingham' in my head.

I would argue that you could pick Stokes in the side even if he didn’t contribute with bat or ball . Before my time but didn’t England pick Mike Brearley on his captaincy alone ?

This England good, the other England bad.

I'm no closet St Georger but isn't this hypocritical? Just throwing it out there. And before anyone retorts with "Ah, But it's the England And Wales Cricket Board"......I never hear Wales mentioned.

I'm on my second coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

I'm no closet St Georger but isn't this hypocritical? Just throwing it out there. And before anyone retorts with "Ah, But it's the England And Wales Cricket Board"......I never hear Wales mentioned.

I'm on my second coffee.
    It is the England and Wales Cricket board.

On the football I couldnt care less if they win or lose. But would prefer them not to win the World Cup

Id rather they win the World Cup than Swansea get promoted though.

I know a lot of Welsh people who want the English team to do well. No different to those City fans wanting County to do well

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It is the England and Wales Cricket board.

On the football I couldnt care less if they win or lose. But would prefer them not to win the World Cup

Id rather they win the World Cup than Swansea get promoted though.

I know a lot of Welsh people who want the English team to do well. No different to those City fans wanting County to do well
    It's just that there's no W in ECB anymore. I think I'm correct in saying Glamorgan i.e. Hugh Morris at the time, voted to drop the W.

I'm on my second coffee.
    Imagine there was no FAW, no international Welsh football team. All Welsh football sides were under the jurisdiction of the FA and Welsh players who were good enough played for the international side of the FA - England. Would you support the international side that represents Wales, even if Wales wasn't in the title?

That's how it is with cricket.

While I'm sure someone will point out differences, Ireland in rugby represents the north and south. Seems to be no real issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Imagine there was no FAW, no international Welsh football team. All Welsh football sides were under the jurisdiction of the FA and Welsh players who were good enough played for the international side of the FA - England. Would you support the international side that represents Wales, even if Wales wasn't in the title?

That's how it is with cricket.

While I'm sure someone will point out differences, Ireland in rugby represents the north and south. Seems to be no real issue there.
    I'd rather support a Wales cricket team. We're tagged onto the English whilst Ireland and Scotland have their own. I believe it's Glamorgan CC that is the stumbling block to this gaining traction.

When I went to Trent Bridge for a WC game a few years ago, you'd have had no idea Wales was hosting the WC too. At Sophia Gardens they play Jerusalem (nothing against the tune but it doesn't get more English than that).

We've had discussions about Cymru and Wales recently (and I think you and I had a misunderstanding - side note: Mrs Citizen who's a Londoner speaks more Welsh than I do and even has her own WhatsApp group and is a Duolingo junkie). There's been discussions about this (Wales cricket not Mrs C) in the Senedd. I find the subject interesting.

I'd rather support a Wales cricket team. We're tagged onto the English whilst Ireland and Scotland have their own. I believe it's Glamorgan CC that is the stumbling block to this gaining traction.

When I went to Trent Bridge for a WC game a few years ago, you'd have had no idea Wales was hosting the WC too. At Sophia Gardens they play Jerusalem (nothing against the tune but it doesn't get more English than that).

We've had discussions about Cymru and Wales recently (and I think you and I had a misunderstanding - side note: Mrs Citizen who's a Londoner speaks more Welsh than I do and even has her own WhatsApp group and is a Duolingo junkie). There's been discussions about this (Wales cricket not Mrs C) in the Senedd. I find the subject interesting.
    English cricket is the cricket equivalent of the British Lions.

I think the England / Wales thing is learned behaviour as my son wants both England and Wales to win and I think I did when I was his age.

Why dont you support the Welsh team that play in the minor counties set up if you are so keen. They play lots of games throughout the summer.

I would say that the major hurdle to cricket becoming independent is the cost. Under the ECB umbrella all coaching and club support is funded by the ECB, without that the game would be undoubtedly worse off.

Cricket in Wales would be stronger with more public support, so there are options to support Wales, Glamorgan or Cardiff (or your local club side). If the support grew the argument for Independence becomes stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Why dont you support the Welsh team that play in the minor counties set up if you are so keen. They play lots of games throughout the summer.

I would say that the major hurdle to cricket becoming independent is the cost. Under the ECB umbrella all coaching and club support is funded by the ECB, without that the game would be undoubtedly worse off.

Cricket in Wales would be stronger with more public support, so there are options to support Wales, Glamorgan or Cardiff (or your local club side). If the support grew the argument for Independence becomes stronger.
    Do you think in years to come Wales could field a international T20 side ?

That said , players from all nations can play in the England and Wales Test team

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Do you think in years to come Wales could field a international T20 side ?

That said , players from all nations can play in the England and Wales Test team
    If Wales walked away from the ECB structure it could field a T20 side almost immediately. It would be relatively successful because all the players in it currently have come through the ECB pathway, and into a minor county, or county structure.

However i dont believe it is in the interest of cricket in Wales to walk away from this structure. In the same way that i dont believe that Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham should walk away from the English league structure. As being in both is more beneficial to them than not.

Ultimately there is not much support from the public in Wales towards cricket. Glamorgan are one of the poorest supported county sides.

Series win in Pakistan. I think thats 8 out of 9 for Stokes and Mccullum. Incredible turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Series win in Pakistan. I think thats 8 out of 9 for Stokes and Mccullum. Incredible turn around.
    great test cricket again, gutsy declaration, Stokes and McCullum are taking test cricket to a new exciting level, great to watch. Ashes could be repeat of 2005

Superb series ,well done England and the management team

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    great test cricket again, gutsy declaration, Stokes and McCullum are taking test cricket to a new exciting level, great to watch. Ashes could be repeat of 2005
    Agree apart from the fact that it wasn't a declaration this time - England were all out second innings, all be it that they were pushing for quick runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Agree apart from the fact that it wasn't a declaration this time - England were all out second innings, all be it that they were pushing for quick runs.
    On the radio this morning they were talking as if it would be another big shock if England were to win. The truth was that they'd thrown away a winning position already by their batting in their second innings when their tail enders were swinging at everything, I get the new approach and it's clearly working, but, Brook was still in when the likes of Robinson and Wood were giving their wickets away - he's showed he can play "Bazball" with the best of them, so why didn't the tail enders just try to stay in and support him?

On the radio this morning they were talking as if it would be another big shock if England were to win. The truth was that they'd thrown away a winning position already by their batting in their second innings when their tail enders were swinging at everything, I get the new approach and it's clearly working, but, Brook was still in when the likes of Robinson and Wood were giving their wickets away - he's showed he can play "Bazball" with the best of them, so why didn't the tail enders just try to stay in and support him?
    They were tail-enders at the end of the day and in test cricket lower order wickets can come in clusters

That's what I thought aswell.
    I know it's an extreme example but Jack Leach showed what a tail enders role should be when he supported Stokes' heroics at Headingly a few years ago.
    When there's 2 tailenders at the crease then yes just swing and hope, but if there's still a batter at the other end then support him.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    After this build up im expecting a 5-0 whitewash to Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    After this build up im expecting a 5-0 whitewash to Australia
    That wouldn't surprise me either, bring it on Anderson seems ageless we seem to have a good bowling mix, can we bat long enough to set or chase scores, please let it be so, the sight or Warner or Smith giving it large is to much to think about

Australia wont win 5 nil over here.

It will be a tight series.

First Team

To think that I originally thought this series was going to be tedious after the first three days of the first test.
    This is why I don't bet on sport.