+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sports People, Actors, Celebs, Musicians etc-who have blown you out...

Re: Sports People, Actors, Celebs, Musicians etc-who have blown you out...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My opinion of Geoff Boycott was formed one Sunday in the early seventies at Sophia Gardens during the tea interval of a Glamorgan v Yorkshire match when I was within earshot of him telling a boy of no more than about eight to eff off when he asked him for an autograph. The fact that the kid immediately burst into tears made no difference to the tosser. I would only have been about fifteen myself and, to be honest, was so taken aback at what happened that I didn’t do anything, but I did celebrate more than i should have when Glamorgan got the bastard out for one a few minutes later.
    Reminded of someone who was completely of the opposite nature, Farokh Engineer. A game against Lancs, late 60s called me and a few schoolmates up to the balcony for autographs and a chat. I’ve never forgotten what a great bloke he was, sat with us and chatted on the balcony during Lancs’ innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Were you bowled over?

Nah, he was hit for 6....& 6.....&6....&6.....&6....&6.

During Ipswich’s League Championship season, after a 2-0 win at Filbert St, the Leicester chairman invited Ipswich chairman, John Cobbold to the boardroom, asked him if he’d care for a quiet drink. Cobbold replied, “Yes, and six very loud ones”.

The Cobbolds were known as the most convivial directors in football. After one home game against Leicester, the directors were enjoying the hospitality in the Ipswich boardroom when John Cobbold walked in with a pound of frozen sausages on his head. At first nothing was said but eventually a Leicester director plucked up courage to ask him what he was doing. “Defrosting my tea, old boy” was the reply.

The great Daily Mirror reporter, Peter Wilson, interviewed him after the title win, “Champions, I suppose for the Ipswich board this season has been a season of wine, women & song”.....”I can’t remember us doing much singing” replied Cobbold.

Interviewed during a season that Ipswich were struggling badly, he was asked about the crisis at the club, “A crisis at the club would be the boardroom running out of alcohol my dear chap” was the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    During Ipswich’s League Championship season, after a 2-0 win at Filbert St, the Leicester chairman invited Ipswich chairman, John Cobbold to the boardroom, asked him if he’d care for a quiet drink. Cobbold replied, “Yes, and six very loud ones”.

The Cobbolds were known as the most convivial directors in football. After one home game against Leicester, the directors were enjoying the hospitality in the Ipswich boardroom when John Cobbold walked in with a pound of frozen sausages on his head. At first nothing was said but eventually a Leicester director plucked up courage to ask him what he was doing. “Defrosting my tea, old boy” was the reply.

The great Daily Mirror reporter, Peter Wilson, interviewed him after the title win, “Champions, I suppose for the Ipswich board this season has been a season of wine, women & song”.....”I can’t remember us doing much singing” replied Cobbold.

Interviewed during a season that Ipswich were struggling badly, he was asked about the crisis at the club, “A crisis at the club would be the boardroom running out of alcohol my dear chap” was the reply.
    Should have been in the ‘Sports Sayings’ thread but f*ck it

Reminded of someone who was completely of the opposite nature, Farokh Engineer. A game against Lancs, late 60s called me and a few schoolmates up to the balcony for autographs and a chat. I’ve never forgotten what a great bloke he was, sat with us and chatted on the balcony during Lancs’ innings.
    Yes, He seems a top bloke and if you see him nowadays, I think you can say he’s enjoyed his life!

On a similar theme, I’ve never rated Mike Gatting as much of a batsman and, rightly or wrongly, have always believed that he would never have won as many England caps if he’d played for another county. However, I’ll always remember when he came to Cardiff to play for Middlesex as England captain one Sunday and started to sign autographs for a few kids as he left the field for the change of innings. In no time, there were stacks of them trying to get him to sign. Instead of just running off to the dressing room, he told the kids to form a queue and he patiently signed for the lot of them. Of course, others saw what was happening and joined the queue. The umpires were coming out to start the Middlesex innings by the time Gatting had signed for everyone and he went to the pavilion with a round of applause from those of us in the corner of the ground who had watched what he’d done.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I saw Dave Jones outside a horseriding type shop , as I walked past him I said hi dave , great job in getting ccfc to the cup final .....it was about a month away.....and he completely ignored me and carried on talking to his mate

In the words of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore ......what a cxxx !
    If its any consolation Sludge .
    Dave Jones and Peter Enckelman had decided to spend their Saturday evening down the ice hockey with spare seats round them ... .
    Luckily for them I had been to the Cardiff game in the afternoon and scooped a few sherberts
    Then off to the hockey where the red wine took over .
    To their obvious joy I joined them for a fair old time , Dave Jones introduced Enckelman as one of our players
    "Ah you used to be a goal keeper " was my splendid reply ( he was not first choice at the time )
    So it it isnt all one sided..

Should have been in the ‘Sports Sayings’ thread but f*ck it

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Thank you so much for your understanding and compassion

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If its any consolation Sludge .
    Dave Jones and Peter Enckelman had decided to spend their Saturday evening down the ice hockey with spare seats round them ... .
    Luckily for them I had been to the Cardiff game in the afternoon and scooped a few sherberts
    Then off to the hockey where the red wine took over .
    To their obvious joy I joined them for a fair old time , Dave Jones introduced Enckelman as one of our players
    "Ah you used to be a goal keeper " was my splendid reply ( he was not first choice at the time )
    So it it isnt all one sided..
    I’m replaying this incident in my head, I can picture it perfectly

Quite a few years back, I popped into a quiet pub in Swansea centre for a swift half and noticed Chris Coleman standing at the bar, looking resplendent in black (with hindsight, he had probably been to a funeral). I stood next to him, and said "Hi Chris, do us all a favour and take the Wales job off Toshack. Can I get you a drink?". He smiled, said no to the drink offer and rejoined his mates. He seemed a nice guy, so I let it go.
    Last edited by John Buchanan; 06-12-22 at 20:45. Reason: Stupidity

Bunked off school to see Ian Rush doing a book signing in Lears a day or so before the Scotland game in 85. Scotland fans filled out the place. Got to the counter and asked him to sign some scrap of paper and he said "I'm only signing books". Returned to school with no autograph and later, very few O levels. So don't bunk off to see star strikers' book signings, kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Bunked off school to see Ian Rush doing a book signing in Lears a day or so before the Scotland game in 85. Scotland fans filled out the place. Got to the counter and asked him to sign some scrap of paper and he said "I'm only signing books". Returned to school with no autograph and later, very few O levels. So don't bunk off to see star strikers' book signings, kids.
    I would have stuck one on him

What a shithead Rushy is for doing that. Apparently, when he was in Cardiff on Wales duty he thought that he was the dogs while strutting his stuff in Jacksons on Westgate St. Hold that thought if it's any consolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What a shithead Rushy is for doing that. Apparently, when he was in Cardiff on Wales duty he thought that he was the dogs while strutting his stuff in Jacksons on Westgate St. Hold that thought if it's any consolation.
    Massive Nose 👃

Massive Nose ��
    He looks like an alcoholic Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He looks like an alcoholic Fox.

I got over it. He doesn't seem the brightest so maybe he struggled to hold more than one instruction in his head at once.

A woman I used to work with met him and some of the Wales team in town once and he was making comments about her breasts but he quietened down when she mocked his nose. Apparently, Clayton Blackmore said Rushy was a bit sensitive about that.

The Wales squad had an open training session at the National Sports Centre around the same era and the only player who seemed happy to meet the fans was Joey Jones.

I got over it. He doesn't seem the brightest so maybe he struggled to hold more than one instruction in his head at once.

A woman I used to work with met him and some of the Wales team in town once and he was making comments about her breasts but he quietened down when she mocked his nose. Apparently, Clayton Blackmore said Rushy was a bit sensitive about that.

The Wales squad had an open training session at the National Sports Centre around the same era and the only player who seemed happy to meet the fans was Joey Jones.
    Joey jones seemed like a decent bloke, without ever meeting him. Sure he had a home made 'Wrexham Skins' Tattoo on his arm

It wouldn't have been worth it.
    One of the worst autographs I have seen.
    I got it when Wales trained at Somerton Park.

I was in a wine bar, somewhere between Sam's bar and the Duke of Wellington pub.
    It was packed, with everyone shoehorned inside.

I was stood with my back to a group of about 6-7. They seemed in good spirits, however, one of them was a little unsteady on his feet (I would say 'tipsy' but not drunk). He inadvertently bumped me a few times, but I don't think he was aware he was doing so.

I looked behind each time, but I really wasn't pissed off about it, but you just automatically look, right?
    Anyway, one of them breaks away from their group and apologises to me - it was Jonathan Davies.
    He had that trademark smile on his face and was such a gentleman.

I was in a nightclub (bar-fly) In Helsinki, following a Wales victory and Jari Litmanen was at the bar. A few of us tried chatting to him and he totally blanked us all and promptly vacated to the V.I.P area.

I generally get on well with famous people, but I've had to blank a few in my time.

I’m replaying this incident in my head, I can picture it perfectly
    The "other" Jimmy was out that evening

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    The "other" Jimmy was out that evening
    Ah ‘Night Jimmy’, I know him well

I was living in Bradford and went to Halifax to see City

We beat them 1 nil and ducked my way into the players bar and spoke to stantona who was necking the pints whilst smoking a cigar

I stayed in the bar and Robbie James turned up and because he was such a popular player at Bradford City their supporters club had arranged a party for him back in the hotel he used to stay in when he played for them

He said pop in on the way back , everything's paid for

So I went on the beers with him . I really good guy . Loved playing for City despite being a bit worried as an ex jack . He said the fans were fantastic to him and he wished he had played for us earlier in his career .

I went to bed about 5 in the morning , he was still drinking away with the bar staff . Woke up at midday , went to pay the hotel room bill and good old Robbie had settled it before getting his train home .

A cracking bloke whose son is a big cardiff fan

RIP Robbie James

I was living in Bradford and went to Halifax to see City

We beat them 1 nil and ducked my way into the players bar and spoke to stantona who was necking the pints whilst smoking a cigar

I stayed in the bar and Robbie James turned up and because he was such a popular player at Bradford City their supporters club had arranged a party for him back in the hotel he used to stay in when he played for them

He said pop in on the way back , everything's paid for

So I went on the beers with him . I really good guy . Loved playing for City despite being a bit worried as an ex jack . He said the fans were fantastic to him and he wished he had played for us earlier in his career .

I went to bed about 5 in the morning , he was still drinking away with the bar staff . Woke up at midday , went to pay the hotel room bill and good old Robbie had settled it before getting his train home .

A cracking bloke whose son is a big cardiff fan

RIP Robbie James
    Ah, that's a lovely story!

I remember at Wrexham's Racecourse ground, when we took thousands up there in our promotion season.
    Robbie James never put a foot wrong all game, he personified 'coolness' that afternoon.