+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Going to Qatar

Cost of Going to Qatar

We’ve heard the horror stories about the expense, accommodation, food, drink, travel etc. Listening to Adel Taarabt on 5Live before this afternoon’s game explaining why so many Moroccans leave the country, average annual wage €7,000 as opposed to €27,000 in Spain, for example. How did 30,000 afford to go to Qatar or has Spain emptied of Moroccans?

Re: Cost of Going to Qatar

Are there really 30,000 Moroccans in Qatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    rent-a-crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    That’s only 15,000 pairs for sale on all them market stalls

There’s 40 million people in Morocco plus however many more around the place. I’m sure there’s more than 30,000 who could afford to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    There’s 40 million people in Morocco plus however many more around the place. I’m sure there’s more than 30,000 who could afford to go.
    Yup, Diaspora, who have got a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Be a few more there for the next game I s’pose.

I think I spent more at Disney in a comparable amount of time that I spent in Qatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think I spent more at Disney in a comparable amount of time that I spent in Qatar.
    Maybe there’ll be a World Cup at Disneyland one day. Nothing shocks me nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Maybe there’ll be a World Cup at Disneyland one day. Nothing shocks me nowadays.
    How can you forget Ronald McDonald Mr P! That was a classic WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    How can you forget Ronald McDonald Mr P! That was a classic WC.
    As mistakes go, it was a Whopper

As mistakes go, it was a Whopper

Mickey Mouse tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    Mickey Mouse tournament?
    That's the league cup

We’ve heard the horror stories about the expense, accommodation, food, drink, travel etc. Listening to Adel Taarabt on 5Live before this afternoon’s game explaining why so many Moroccans leave the country, average annual wage €7,000 as opposed to €27,000 in Spain, for example. How did 30,000 afford to go to Qatar or has Spain emptied of Moroccans?
    There’s 15,000 Moroccans living in Qatar which I guess helps

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    There’s 15,000 Moroccans living in Qatar which I guess helps
    No digs to pay for the travelling fans in that case perhaps, every little helps.

Qatar really wasn’t anywhere near as expensive as was made out. We ate in the mall of Qatar mostly, because our Villa was pretty close. Loads of variety, and prices comparable or even slightly cheaper than home. If you were adventurous and ate in the Souq, it was cheap as chips (and the kebabs were great).

Ubers were significantly cheaper than home. Public transport was reliable, and free.

There were 7 of us in a villa for 10. Booked it via the fifa portal with out much trouble. Again- it really wasn’t that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Qatar really wasn’t anywhere near as expensive as was made out. We ate in the mall of Qatar mostly, because our Villa was pretty close. Loads of variety, and prices comparable or even slightly cheaper than home. If you were adventurous and ate in the Souq, it was cheap as chips (and the kebabs were great).

Ubers were significantly cheaper than home. Public transport was reliable, and free.

There were 7 of us in a villa for 10. Booked it via the fifa portal with out much trouble. Again- it really wasn’t that expensive.
    Good to hear from someone who was actually there.
    How about the all-important benchmark of the cost of a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So, my view on that was that I can get pissed any day of the week at home. I’m unlikely to go to a World Cup again where all teams and games are in such close proximity. So I just watched football. 9 games in the time I was there- 2 a day except the first day against USA where we explored and got our bearings. It was tiring, and I didn’t enter a bar once, although we did pay an expat to smuggle beer into our villa.

The alcohol free beer in the stadiums was £7. Red Lion pub was widely mooted as one of the cheaper venues - £7/£8 a beer. So, probably a bit more expensive than London prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    My father does the same, go well out of his way to save 50p on a Stella

Agreed. Yet more misinformation.

We stayed in Dubai which was a bit more expensive (but a bit nicer I think)

The only thing that was really expensive was alcohol, not surprisingly.

Everything else was fine as you say.

Great information,

So, my view on that was that I can get pissed any day of the week at home. I’m unlikely to go to a World Cup again where all teams and games are in such close proximity. So I just watched football. 9 games in the time I was there- 2 a day except the first day against USA where we explored and got our bearings. It was tiring, and I didn’t enter a bar once, although we did pay an expat to smuggle beer into our villa.

The alcohol free beer in the stadiums was £7. Red Lion pub was widely mooted as one of the cheaper venues - £7/£8 a beer. So, probably a bit more expensive than London prices.
    We stayed in apartments close to The Red Lion in AL Mansoura...couldn't get in there though the day we wanted to so didn't bother after that.

We drank in 2 of the Marriot bars mainly and had one night out at a nice rooftop pool bar.

I'd say I was paying $15 a pint.

You could get apartments for 2 for $85, these were widely available. All transport was free. Pint could be had in the fanzine for £11. I didn’t mind laying that as everything else was so cheap.

Food was around £5 a meal and a bottle of water around 17p. I was there for 8 days and spent £300 and that was mostly presents for the kids. Brilliant city and very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    You could get apartments for 2 for $85, these were widely available. All transport was free. Pint could be had in the fanzine for £11. I didn’t mind laying that as everything else was so cheap.

Food was around £5 a meal and a bottle of water around 17p. I was there for 8 days and spent £300 and that was mostly presents for the kids. Brilliant city and very cheap.
    That's great to hear that you were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as expensive as many had thought it would be.

If I may ask, what did you find brilliant about the city, aside from the atmosphere generated by a World Cup taking place there?