+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Going to Qatar

Re: Cost of Going to Qatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That's great to hear that you were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as expensive as many had thought it would be.

If I may ask, what did you find brilliant about the city, aside from the atmosphere generated by a World Cup taking place there?
    Speaking personally, I think calling Doha a brilliant city was a bit strong.

It exceeded my expectations but they were admittedly low. The atmospheric Souk Watif and a couple of forts aside, you would be hard pressed to find a building less than 40 years old. West Bay and Lusail have sky lines similar to Chicago.

That said, the Corniche along the bay is attractive with some pretty parks and mooring areas. We were spoiled though as it was closed to traffic and the city is pedestrian unfriendly at the best of times where wide concentric highways through the centre dominate.

The modern metro is great, driverless and super swift and frequent. Most of all some of the civic buildings are truly fantastic inside and out. The Museum of Islamic Art, featuring artefacts from across the Islamic world was delightful. The National Museum of Qatar and the National Library are spectacular buildings. Though if money is no object and land is plentiful then you can buy the best architects in the world to deliver this.

To be honest we didn't see many Qataris. The place runs on immigrants from Bangladesh, India, Africa and the Phillipines. Some of these are obviously working for peanuts but many of the Indians we spoke to were working in a vibrant IT sector. As you would expect many immigrants have also set up restaurants and fast food outlets where as others have mentioned the food is both delicious and cheap as chips.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

It exceeded my expectations but they were admittedly low. The atmospheric Souk Watif and a couple of forts aside, you would be hard pressed to find a building less than 40 years old. West Bay and Lusail have sky lines similar to Chicago.

That said, the Corniche along the bay is attractive with some pretty parks and mooring areas. We were spoiled though as it was closed to traffic and the city is pedestrian unfriendly at the best of times where wide concentric highways through the centre dominate.

The modern metro is great, driverless and super swift and frequent. Most of all some of the civic buildings are truly fantastic inside and out. The Museum of Islamic Art, featuring artefacts from across the Islamic world was delightful. The National Museum of Qatar and the National Library are spectacular buildings. Though if money is no object and land is plentiful then you can buy the best architects in the world to deliver this.

To be honest we didn't see many Qataris. The place runs on immigrants from Bangladesh, India, Africa and the Phillipines. Some of these are obviously working for peanuts but many of the Indians we spoke to were working in a vibrant IT sector. As you would expect many immigrants have also set up restaurants and fast food outlets where as others have mentioned the food is both delicious and cheap as chips.

Interesting to read that. I was going to post that if Doha is a 'brilliant city' then it must have changed out of recognition from how it was when I worked in West Bay. Admittedly that was a time when the Metro was still under construction and it was clear that a step change in public transport would help address some of the traffic issues, especially in areas such as the Corniche. Must say that the Museum of Islamic Art stood out as a beacon of beauty in a landscape of modern, ostentatious, willy-waving high-rises and shopping malls. Like you, I was also struck by how few native Qataris you actually come across - even in the working environment. I think they only represented less than 30% of the population back then. Possibly even less now.

I’ve been to Dubai and my experience was that it wasn’t that expensive if you swerved alcohol and the hotel we stayed in (Atlantis ) was very reasonable if you purchased a drinks package. (Tax free watches are very cheap compared to Uk prices)

London is way more expensive. Portugal this summer was very expensive compared to pre Covid days.

Cheers for that, very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Portugal this summer was very expensive compared to pre Covid days.
    Some of those €1 a pint bars in Tenerife are now charging €1.50, bastard scandalous!!!!!!!!!

Its on the dubious country list of tax havens

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its on the dubious country list of tax havens
    What, Tenerife? No wonder the beer is so cheap!

Are the joys of modern slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are the joys of modern slavery.
    Thank **** you didn't write the 'Bisto' Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What's wrong with.. "Are Bisto"!

I don't watch telly so never see ads. Are the Bisto ads still going?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I don't watch telly so never see ads. Are the Bisto ads still going?
    I can picture you and Mrs Citizen’s Niece-in-Law (so much better than Mrs CN) singing along to the Ovaltinies on your Bakelite steam radio. I would consider getting a telly though, there’s even a BBC 2 now, on 625 lines though and talk of colour TV eventually.

Whatever you do don't tell LoM where a fair proportion of his gas is coming from. I wouldn't want him to freeze this winter because of his strong principles!

We stayed in an hotel in Dubai all inclusive, food superb, 24 hr bar, bars in airport, Dubai city centre and inter continental hotel Doha £13 a pint, 9 days cost us under £3000 including match tickets at £180 each for two games.

Quote Originally Posted by ABLUEBIRD View Post
    We stayed in an hotel in Dubai all inclusive, food superb, 24 hr bar, bars in airport, Dubai city centre and inter continental hotel Doha £13 a pint, 9 days cost us under £3000 including match tickets at £180 each for two games.
    £13.00 is the same price as a few London hotels I’ve stayed at. It’s £8.00 a pint at Cardiff City premier lounge !
    Dubai is against drinking so they are not going to make it cheap.

Whatever you do don't tell LoM where a fair proportion of his gas is coming from. I wouldn't want him to freeze this winter because of his strong principles!
    Yes, the Qatari natural gas terminal on Milford Haven is about 1 mile from where I live. If it goes up so do I.😥
    Unfortunately don't get cheap gas.