+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Gareth Southgate Is A Gent

Re: Gareth Southgate Is A Gent

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    A good Manager would have beaten an injury-ravaged French side with 3 World Class players out, they'll never get a better chance, with Morroco in the semis and Argentina or Croatia in the final.

If Southgate was Welsh or Scottish he'd probably be managing a Championship side.
    you can't say "would have" in football.
    pep guardiola is a great manager, pretty much everyone agrees that.
    you wouldn't say "a great manager would have beaten a poor Wigan side in the 2018 cup final"

they were a good side in this tournament and they lost a close game against another good side, I don't see what another manager would have done any better.

in terms of club management, thats a different story, and I don't think he will be getting a big job anywhere soon, but he's done a good job with England imo.

I think he's now won more knockout games with England than everyone else

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    you can't say "would have" in football.
    pep guardiola is a great manager, pretty much everyone agrees that.
    you wouldn't say "a great manager would have beaten a poor Wigan side in the 2018 cup final"

they were a good side in this tournament and they lost a close game against another good side, I don't see what another manager would have done any better.

in terms of club management, thats a different story, and I don't think he will be getting a big job anywhere soon, but he's done a good job with England imo.

Of course, a good Manager will occasionally fail, but they will succeed more often than an average one, he's only got the job because he's English not because he's a top Manager.

Pochettino would have been a far better Manager for England and would have won that game IMO, and would take them to the next level.

He's favorite to replace him too, they should go for him and forget the likes of Lampard or Gerrard.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...manent-manager

here you go, not taking Erics job, just stuck at home bored

England managers' records at World Cups/European Championships

Manager Played W D L
    Gareth Southgate 19 11 4 4
    Sir Bobby Robson 15 5 4 6
    Sven-Goran Eriksson 14 7 5 2
    Sir W Winterbottom 14 3 5 6
    Sir Alf Ramsey 12 8 1 3
    Roy Hodgson 11 3 5 3
    Ronald Greenwood 8 4 3 1
    Terry Venables 5 2 3 0
    Glenn Hoddle 4 2 1 1
    Fabio Capello 4 1 2 1
    Kevin Keegan 3 1 0 2
    Graham Taylor 3 0 2 1

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    here you go, not taking Erics job, just stuck at home bored

England managers' records at World Cups/European Championships

Manager Played W D L
    Gareth Southgate 19 11 4 4
    Sir Bobby Robson 15 5 4 6
    Sven-Goran Eriksson 14 7 5 2
    Sir W Winterbottom 14 3 5 6
    Sir Alf Ramsey 12 8 1 3
    Roy Hodgson 11 3 5 3
    Ronald Greenwood 8 4 3 1
    Terry Venables 5 2 3 0
    Glenn Hoddle 4 2 1 1
    Fabio Capello 4 1 2 1
    Kevin Keegan 3 1 0 2
    Graham Taylor 3 0 2 1
    that includes group games also, if you only include knockout stages it's even more marked

International

that includes group games also, if you only include knockout stages it's even more marked
    They've got a very strong squad now, and they are benefiting from the money and improved premier league clubs academies, a decent Manager like Pochettino would have a great chance in the next Euros and World Cup.

Fingers crossed they keep average Gareth or replace him with Lampard or Gerrard.

In May 1966 the top 5 teams in the FIFA rankings were Portugal, Brazil, England, West Germany & Argentina. In July England beat 3 of them in the space of 7 days to win the World Cup. That’s a proper way to win it, beating Iran, Wales, Senegal & drawing with the USA before falling to a similar ranked team is not by any means an indication that they could have won this one. They, more or less, fell at the first hurdle.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In May 1966 the top 5 teams in the FIFA rankings were Portugal, Brazil, England, West Germany & Argentina. In July England beat 3 of them in the space of 7 days to win the World Cup. That’s a proper way to win it, beating Iran, Wales, Senegal & drawing with the USA before falling to a similar ranked team is not by any means an indication that they could have won this one. They, more or less, fell at the first hurdle.
    Very true they had a very easy route and even to win it, and failed miserably, Southgate is a very average Manager.

anyone can miss a penalty
    He skied a penalty. He makes £12M a year. He's not "anyone".

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think so

Semi final .....now we are talking

But they had a simple group , beat a poor Senegal

Then got dumped out

As they normally do

not been that fussed on Southgate, but over the years he's won me over. this tournament I think he couldn't have done any more really. they are an elite international side, of which there are 4 or 5, but only 1 can win it.
    that penalty goes in and they probably win that game and would now be big favourites for the world cup
    But they didn't score the penalty. And they never do. I'm expecting France to win tomorrow and either they or Argentina will win their third World Cup on Sunday. England haven't won a major tournament for over 50 years. They have the players, but they're definitely a second tier national team.