+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pointless stats in the World Cup

Pointless stats in the World Cup

And no I don’t mean Wales’ efforts on target.

Ball recovery time - does anyone actually care? Does this add anything to the viewers match experience?

Re: Pointless stats in the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

Ball recovery time - does anyone actually care? Does this add anything to the viewers match experience?
    I was watching what must have been an American feed when I was elsewhere a couple of weeks ago. Stats usch as the number of 'defensive breaks' were shown onscreen - although I have no idea what that means.

Ive ranted at home and at football training about it

Ball recovery time and most attempted / completed Line Breaks

It must be to attract the Americans into the game, as they love stat's

Our defence took a lot of breaks unfortunately

Yes, I love all this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I was watching what must have been an American feed when I was elsewhere a couple of weeks ago. Stats usch as the number of 'defensive breaks' were shown onscreen - although I have no idea what that means.
    It might also be the Fifa main broadcast. The itv or BBC coverage has shown things like receptions between defence and midfield. Few things like that which seemed quite American sounding to me.

I've noticed over here when they show the possession stats they include "contested". Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've noticed over here when they show the possession stats they include "contested". Makes sense to me.
    they've started doing that here for the world cup too

Pep does, I remember that they had either a maximum time or maximum number of opposition touches allowed before winning the ball back at Man City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pep does, I remember that they had either a maximum time or maximum number of opposition touches allowed before winning the ball back at Man City.
    I remember at Barca it was like a six second rule. The whole squad had to push up and swarm the opposition to mostly win it back in the opponents half.

For a few years it was quite impressive to watch.

Actually in the stadium during the first Wales game they showed two sets of stats on the big screens during the game that I genuinely couldn't understand, with lots of arrows on them.

One, I think was entries into the final third, but was split into 5 not three sectors and arrows going all over the place - I thought that I understood what that stat meant, but maybe not.

The other one was even more obtuse.

They both sounded like NFL stats.

I live in the United States and have always been amazed at the American infatuation with statistics. They know every damn thing. Like, this is only the third time since World War I that a pinch hitter wearing blue socks hit a triple in an evening game west of the Mississippi.

This World Cup, with its little statistics boxes popping up all the time, has been typical. Not as maddening as those constant horns in South Africa but distracting nonetheless. One box gave the speed the ball was travelling as it entered the goal — kind of interesting, actually, more than 90 mph. Directly below was listed the ball's speed of rotation.

Who tracks all this stuff? Talk about a high-pressure job.

I’m only just coming to terms with goal difference instead of goal average