+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cardiff City book, Tony Evans Walks on Water, available on Amazon in next few days.

New Cardiff City book, Tony Evans Walks on Water, available on Amazon in next few days.

New book chronicling Cardiff City's promotion in 1975/76.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: New Cardiff City book, Tony Evans Walks on Water, available on Amazon in next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

My favourite City season, so many memories ending at Bury with Alstons winner, spent my 18th birthday at Aldershot away midweek losing 2-1 lol getting thrashed at Swindon on boxing day, Easter monday at Peterborough 0-0 and the 35,000 crowd *cough* against Hereford, winning at Palace and the Alston header that bounced over the bar vs Brighton, Hereford away thrashed again lol, great season

Re: New Cardiff City book, Tony Evans Walks on Water, available on Amazon in next few days.

I met TE years ago in some factory in the Midlands.
    I was working on security and was asked to keep an eye on ''the contractors'' who were doing some work there. I got talking to the five or six contractors and one of them clocked my Welsh accent and asked me was I into football and who my team was. I told him I was a City fan. He then told me who he was and asked if I remembered him. ''Yeah I can remember you,'' I replied. ''You used to run round the pitch kicking the opposition up in the air.''
    Luckily enough him and his mates seen the funny side of my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    My favourite City season, so many memories ending at Bury with Alstons winner, spent my 18th birthday at Aldershot away midweek losing 2-1 lol getting thrashed at Swindon on boxing day, Easter monday at Peterborough 0-0 and the 35,000 crowd *cough* against Hereford, winning at Palace and the Alston header that bounced over the bar vs Brighton, Hereford away thrashed again lol, great season
    All covered in the book, although that Peterboroughgame on Easter Monday was just about the hardest one of the lot to research. The Brighton game with that freakish bouncing header was on Match of the Day, but the only game from that season I could find from that season was the 3-2 loss at relegated Colchester - arguably, our worst result of the season!

Tony "Walks On Water" Evans and Adrian Alston, what a partnership!

Reading that I’m confused about how we got promoted…

We finished the season strong we were bottom 6 after the defeat away to Aldershot on 22 oct 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Reading that I’m confused about how we got promoted…
    Only letting in one goal in our last eight matches I think it was helped - might have been seven, but,basically, we stopped letting goals in.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

My favourite ever City season, and the first one that I attended every home game bar a couple when I was ill. Watched from the Grange End with my mates from school

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    My favourite ever City season, and the first one that I attended every home game bar a couple when I was ill. Watched from the Grange End with my mates from school
    Ditto did more away games that season than any other hardly missed a home game on the Grange with a few mates from Pontypridd/Treforest

[QUOTE=Packerman;5372678]Ditto did more away games that season than any other hardly missed a home game on the Grange with a few mates from Pontypridd/Treforest[/QUOTE

Did my first away game at Swindon on Boxing Day. It almost put me off following City away lol

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5372683]
    Ditto did more away games that season than any other hardly missed a home game on the Grange with a few mates from Pontypridd/Treforest[/QUOTE

Did my first away game at Swindon on Boxing Day. It almost put me off following City away lol
    my first away was Bristol city a year or two before a scintillating 0-0

[QUOTE=Packerman;5372691]
    That was a Boxing Day game as well I believe - nothing happened whatever day it was.

I’ve got a scrapbook at home in the attack of that season plus many of the programmes. I’ll have a look for it when I’m home over Christmas.

Evans & Alston, up there with Toshack & Clark, Dale & Pike, Bothroyd & Chopra

[QUOTE=Packerman;5372691]
    My first two away games were the Wurzels 0-0 on the Boxing Day 74 and the 4-0 thumping the following Boxing Day at Swindon. The day after losing at Swindon we beat Peterborough 5-2. I don’t remember us playing on successive days since then.

And book just requested off my Mrs for Xmas.

We took a huge following to Swindon. The M4 traffic was all going back to Wales afterwards

This was the the only season i managed to get to every game home and away.

Alston arriving at Cardiff was one of the most surprising transfers that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Evans and Alston were very good but no combination I can recall surpasses Toshack and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    This was the the only season i managed to get to every game home and away.
    I think I must have seen all the City's home games that season and probably went to about 5 away games. I was still in school at the time, hence why I didn't get to see too many away games.

I seem to recall it was £2.25 to go on the supporters club busses to most of the London games, but was a whopping £3.10 to travel to Hull!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think I must have seen all the City's home games that season and probably went to about 5 away games. I was still in school at the time, hence why I didn't get to see too many away games.

I seem to recall it was £2.25 to go on the supporters club busses to most of the London games, but was a whopping £3.10 to travel to Hull!
    Yes i still remember going to Hull with the supporters club. Severn pounds for travel and hotel.

Leo & Earnie

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Yes i still remember going to Hull with the supporters club. Severn pounds for travel and hotel.
    You’d need a bridging loan for that today

[QUOTE=Hot Shot Hamish.;5372732]

My first two away games were the Wurzels 0-0 on the Boxing Day 74 and the 4-0 thumping the following Boxing Day at Swindon. The day after losing at Swindon we beat Peterborough 5-2. I don’t remember us playing on successive days since then.

And book just requested off my Mrs for Xmas.
    I'm convinced we played on consecutive days in the early 80s, it might have been Easter time??
    Its bugging me now😁

I’ve got a scrapbook at home in the attack of that season plus many of the programmes. I’ll have a look for it when I’m home over Christmas.

Don't forget Earnie & Thorne, who I loved as an attacking duo