Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
Lots of talk, understandably, about yesterday's final. "A classic!", "Best final ever!", "Thank you for blowing a 2 goal lead when in full control!", I hear them say. But for 80 minutes it was kind of humdrum and I don't remember much happening in the 1st period of extra time. The second period was dramatic to the point of crazy and then a penalty shootout. And you can't really knock 6 goals in a game.

One of my favourite ever games was France v West Germany in 1982. I remember being engrossed but in normal time it was only 1-1 before a mad extra time and West German fightback and another penalty shootout (rarer in those days). Although, of course, there was the attempted murder as well.

So is a great game a collection of moments or an end to end hammer and tongs battle? When does a game become a great game? I'm suggesting 3-2 with another incident, for instance, a red card. (However, if a team is 3 up and the opposition score 2 late consolations then that doesn't really count).

On Sunday I found myself thinking that I’d just watched the best game of football I’d ever seen on TV, with the exception of Wales V Belgium in Euro 2016. It had been a pretty dull affair through the first half, although Di Maria’s goal was a fantastic sweeping move of one touch football. But then came the first French penalty and then the match just exploded into life with Mbappe’s superbly taken second goal. After that it was just incredible. For the last decade or so, I’ve watched less and less live British football on TV despite having Sky Sports. The matches are on but rarely hold my attention unless I’m watching a City match, and even then it’s rarely enjoyable. But that World Cup final had pretty much everything. For me a great game is simply one that gets the blood pumping in a neutral. It does not need to be end to end attacking, or even 90 minutes of incredible atmosphere like City v Leeds in 2002. It does has to have a blend of the unexpected and several moments of pure quality and that in itself can be a great game. But add in the chance that possibly the greatest player of all time will win the World Cup with his country and cement his legacy, extra time and penalties and a real Jeckyll and Hyde performance from one of football’s heavyweights and you have a classic.