+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terry Hall has died.

Re: Terry Hall has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Been lucky enough to support The Selecter twice in TJ's. Great people.
    I was there at a Selecter gig late 90's early 2000.
    Did you know John Sicolo?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I saw lots of hardcore and metal bands there ......the wild hearts were very good

He used to sell cans of lager or cider or feck off somewhere else

And a kebab shop over the road

My kind of place
    Yes, you didn't have a good evening unless you felt a can being pelted towards your head there!

Yep

John Sicolo was basically responsible for any decent bands in the city

He tried to sell it on but when he died it just fell into disrepair

Wash DC is a pill boy and will know the score
    My Mam is from Pill, I'm from Lliswerry.
    I knew John pretty well, hung out pretty much exclusively in there, the Riverside and Le pub abd the Murenger when I moved back from London in the late 90's.

Cheap Sweaty Fun and Frug would have to take a lot of credit for the shows happening.

Terry was a bit of a hero to many of us but far too modest to realise it. Very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    My Mam is from Pill, I'm from Lliswerry.
    I knew John pretty well, hung out pretty much exclusively in there, the Riverside and Le pub abd the Murenger when I moved back from London in the late 90's.

Cheap Sweaty Fun and Frug would have to take a lot of credit for the shows happening.
    The Newport Centre is going too

TJs gone

Shame , saw loads of bands in those two places

Pantera , Slayer , Alice In Chains , Fear Factory

That's very sad news to wake up to.
    I guess many of us are of a similar age so they were a big part of our youth. Saw them afew times in recent years at the CIA and they along with Selecter were I mainly associate with the Two Tone sound. Never really had Madness and The Beat in the same bracket.

Really sad news this, I’m gutted.

Sludge, you’re too harsh on Bad Manners and especially Madness, if you listen to their recent stuff you’ll understand.

Bad Manners in the Tramshed tonight will be interesting.

RIP, the soundtrack of many away trip on the bus home.

Genuinely saddened to hear the news. He was a role model and hero of my childhood that remained so to this day, largely due to his social conscience. But also due to his style and appearance. Both of which had a huge influence on my life.

Getting to see The Specials live in ‘09 was fantastic. I was much too young to see them in their pomp so it was wonderful to enjoy myself when the band got back together. They were amazing live.

First Team

RIP.

Loved the Special and the Fun Boy Three had their moments as well.

I was lucky enough to see them at the Top Rank with Madness and the Selector.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I saw The Specials play the Top Rank. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I think it was circa 1980?

As others have said in this thread, they were an integral part of my late teens/early 20s.

RIP Terry Hall
    The Two Tone Tour
    At the Top Rank, Selector, Madness and the Specials
    Either 79 or 1980, it only seemed like a few months later and Madness were back with the beat? and Selctor were back not long after that
    Great days watching them as most of the people you saw down the City were there as well..

RIP Terry

First Team

This is so sad. I went to Warwick around the time of two-tone and Cov was definitely the place to be then.

I met Terry Hall at a Villa/Man United game. He was a shy United fan. Nice guy.

sad news to wake up to this morning

not sure if it would be open but maybe those travelling to Coventry next week might take in the 2 tone and music museum ahead of the game seeing as its a 7.45 kick off . A must for those into the 2 tone scene with all types of memorabilia on show including the original car that was featured in the ghost town video .whats the betting Coventry City will wear there 2 tone strip over the xmas period

https://2tonevillage.com/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50027298

As someone who was bored stiff with prog rock, I really enjoyed the SKA revival and Two Tone which, along with punk and new wave, made the second half of the seventies so much more enjoyable musically than the first half had been.

The Specials were a big part of all of that - they vied with the Beat and Madness as my favourite, but I enjoyed them all.

To discover the news about Terry Hall this morning is a bummer and also a surprise - as major says, his time with Fun Boy Three shouldn't be forgotten either.

If the 81 riots had a soundtrack, it was Ghost Town.

RIP

Yep

John Sicolo was basically responsible for any decent bands in the city

He tried to sell it on but when he died it just fell into disrepair

Wash DC is a pill boy and will know the score
    Got to disagree there Sludgey. My old mate Simon Phillips of Rockaway Records (upstairs in Newport market), with his 'Cheap Sweaty Fun Promotions' put on a lot of the alternative and metal bands that then went on to become huge. Siloco was just the owner of the venue

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Part of my youth..😞
    First album I ever bought I think, that or the jam.
    Absolutely ground breaking stuff they produced.

I seen Terry at a wedding about 15 years ago and he looked a tortured soul, for some you will spend your entire adult life trying to overcome your childhood. RIP Terry and thanks for the memories.

Sad news indeed.
    The Specials were one of the top bands for a good couple of years and, although Jerry Dammers was the "main man" of the group, Hall as frontman was obviously a big influence on the band and of music in general, in particular the resurgence of "Ska" music.

They wrote and sang stuff of the times in particular the racial tensions going on in the big cities and, although Nite Klub was probably my favourite at the time, Ghost Town is an absolute all time classic record.

RIP Terry Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    The Two Tone Tour
    At the Top Rank, Selector, Madness and the Specials
    Either 79 or 1980, it only seemed like a few months later and Madness were back with the beat? and Selctor were back not long after that
    Great days watching them as most of the people you saw down the City were there as well..

RIP Terry
    I was a regular in The Rank them days, and I’ve never seen it so packed as it was for that gig (7/11/79)….more got in through the back doors than the front ! RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Genuinely saddened to hear the news. He was a role model and hero of my childhood that remained so to this day, largely due to his social conscience. But also due to his style and appearance. Both of which had a huge influence on my life.

Getting to see The Specials live in ‘09 was fantastic. I was much too young to see them in their pomp so it was wonderful to enjoy myself when the band got back together. They were amazing live.

.... "Now you're married with a kid
    When you could be having fun with me"
    !

Always had a soft spot for Coventry

Had a mate who was at college there , used to go to the general Wolfe for bands

Very scruffy run down place in many ways but had a lot of charm

Always liked in when the other ccfc would do a last minute escape act and stay up in what was the old first division

Highfield Road was a good atmosphere

Wonder if TH and his crew ever went ?

Sad to also read that Martin Duffy, keyboard player with both Primal Scream and The Charlatans, has died aged 55.
    He only joined The Charlatans after their previous keyboard player died in a car crash near the Rockfield studios in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sad to also read that Martin Duffy, keyboard player with both Primal Scream and The Charlatans, has died aged 55.
    He only joined The Charlatans after their previous keyboard player died in a car crash near the Rockfield studios in 1996.
    Yep, he replaced Rob Collins in The Charlatans.
    More sad news that.

Very sad. I saw him with The Colourfield at Cardiff Uni in 1985. The music was pitched somewhere between OMD and The Style Council but that melancholic voice still drew you in.