+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff 20mph speed limit

Cardiff 20mph speed limit

As slow as our forward line.
    It's difficult keeping to the speed limit. Has anyone been booked?

Re: Cardiff 20mph speed limit

I’m lucky I’ve got a modern car so set the speed limiter on the car which does the job

I stick to 20mph religiously, but keep getting overtaken by arseholes on pushbikes

30 now feels more than fast enough in built up areas.

Perhaps it was all some sort of experiment.

I have no issue with the side streets being 20mph.

However where I live in Heath the “main” road up to Caerphilly is also 20mph. Utter madness.

The 20mph along with the cycle lanes gridlocked London and fkd up a great city, 10 years from now it sounds like Cardiff will go the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The 20mph along with the cycle lanes gridlocked London and fkd up a great city, 10 years from now it sounds like Cardiff will go the same way.
    Wind that foreword 10 years !!!!!!

As mentioned, traffic up Caerphilly/Thornhill Road is at a standstill some days, tailing back from Morrison’s to the Aneurin Bevan

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wind that foreword 10 years !!!!!!

As mentioned, traffic up Caerphilly/Thornhill Road is at a standstill some days, tailing back from Morrison’s to the Aneurin Bevan
    BBBBluetit you just ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't mind the 20mph limit at all, it makes a lot of sense in the side streets, there are perhaps one or two through roads that it would make sense to put back to 30 but it's not a huge issue

the thing that i do find annoying about driving in Cardiff is the speed bumps, both the sheer number and in many cases the height of them are absolutely excessive.

there are some streets in 20mph zones that have speed bumps every 50 metres, and they are so high that you have to slow to much less than 10mph to safely go over them, which means you end up constantly accelerating between 10 and 20 which is extremely inefficient.
    I'd be happy if they kept the 20 and got rid of the speed bumps

After the 20 mph comes the LTN (low traffic neighbourhoods) with flower boxes stopping you from entering certain cut throughs that you’ve always used, after that you get the can’t turn left junctions which makes no sense at all and £80 when you get it wrong.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    After the 20 mph comes the LTN (low traffic neighbourhoods) with flower boxes stopping you from entering certain cut throughs that you’ve always used, after that you get the can’t turn left junctions which makes no sense at all and £80 when you get it wrong.
    Drakeford's Wales, que to get in past the traffic restrictions, brynglas Tunel, Then 50mph speed limits on the motorway, close the castle roads off, then bring traffic to a standstill with 20mph (unbelievable I know but they've actually gone and done it), close other roads, that should stop those pesky tourists and locals hitting the City Centre and spending money.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I have no issue with the side streets being 20mph.

However where I live in Heath the “main” road up to Caerphilly is also 20mph. Utter madness.
    Totally agree, side streets some idiots do go too fast, even when cars are double parked so 20 is right, but Caerphilly road, Pantmawr road, and Rhiwbina hill 20mph are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Totally agree, side streets some idiots do go too fast, even when cars are double parked so 20 is right, but Caerphilly road, Pantmawr road, and Rhiwbina hill 20mph are ridiculous.
    I wish there was some consistency with it all.

I just did a speed awareness course after being done in a 20 zone going all the way through Cilfynydd. The guy hosting it suggested that most 20mph zones are put in place if lots of residents complain about the speed of traffic or if there have been several incidents on that particular road.

Take the A4054 going north of Ponty. 20mph until the end of Cilfynydd. There's another one just north of Treharris with average speed cameras, so I can only presume that short stretch has been a bit of a blackspot. I live just off a far busier road near Aberdare and that's a 30mph limit, while I'm slightly surprised by a 40mph limit on the way to Ynysybwl where there are houses and several junctions.

In any case, road safety should be more of a priority than trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible.

Drove the entire 20mph limit at Radyr/Morganstown at about 20mph. Spent more time looking at the speedo and the car right up my arse, than looking at the road.
    Also some parts of dual carriageway on Caerphilly Rd are 20mph, which is totally nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Drove the entire 20mph limit at Radyr/Morganstown at about 20mph. Spent more time looking at the speedo and the car right up my arse, than looking at the road.
    Also some parts of dual carriageway on Caerphilly Rd are 20mph, which is totally nonsensical.
    Where is Caerphilly Road a duel carriageway ?

Where is Caerphilly Road a duel carriageway ?
    Up by the Birchgrove pub and past the Maes Y Coed Road turnoff toward Llanishen. Probably not an official dual carriageway, but two lanes on each side of the road for a short stretch. That shouldn’t be 20mph.

Up by the Birchgrove pub and past the Maes Y Coed Road turnoff toward Llanishen. Probably not an official dual carriageway, but two lanes on each side of the road for a short stretch. That shouldn’t be 20mph.
    Ah, you mean the bit for turning right, where arseholes cut you up, by trying to get back into the inside lane to go straight on !

Ah, you mean the bit for turning right, where arseholes cut you up, by trying to get back into the inside lane to go straight on !
    In fairness, i don't think that the right hand turn on to Heathwood rd is dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In fairness, i don't think that the right hand turn on to Heathwood rd is dedicated.
    There used to be arrows there, haven’t looked for ages, as I think of other road users

If there's anywhere along Caerphilly Rd that it should be 20 it's through Birchgrove where there are plenty of shops, side streets and a Primary school nearby. Someone was also killed near the Maes y Coed Rd junction a year or 2 ago.

There used to be arrows there, haven’t looked for ages, as I think of other road users
    The worst bit is by the New Inn pub, the outside lane is dedicated for right turn towards Heath Hospital, people just sit there to get on the inside lane when they realise. The flyover as well, ****ing crazy system with cars crossing over just before the Wetherspoons, people who have never done it before must shit themselves, although in fairness, i've never seen an accident there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The worst bit is by the New Inn pub, the outside lane is dedicated for right turn towards Heath Hospital, people just sit there to get on the inside lane when they realise. The flyover as well, ****ing crazy system with cars crossing over just before the Wetherspoons, people who have never done it before must shit themselves, although in fairness, i've never seen an accident there.
    well! you all live there so you should know how to drive and navigate around your own city! unless you are a complete and utter(non gender) tool

I've grown to love the 20mph .. it's very calming.

The only dilemma is my plug in hybrid only self charges itself after 21mph though .

Ive written to the First Minister pointing that out that 20mph is potentially using more fossil fuel ??

I'm down to 15mph on roundabouts as well ..

56mph cruise control on motorways .

Bat Out Hell on the radio

What a wonderful life .

International

None of it makes sense, I didn't believe the people saying they would use the benefit of covid as a test to see what they could get away with, they stopped people from going out of the house, a maximum of five miles in cars, extended lockdowns in pub's, close important routes from one part of the City to another.

They got away with all of that easily so now there is no stopping them, they'll do what they like, just because they can, God knows where this will end.

I really can't see the point of it. Has it reduced accidents? Probably not. Has it reduced pollution? Definitely not. Has it reduced congestion? Absolutely not. So what's it for, then? A complete and utter waste of time and money.