+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo: Former Manchester United forward signs for Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr.
    Big bucks move no doubt.

Re: Ronaldo

Thought he wanted Champions League football?

Apparently he turned down a £305m Saudi Arabia move in the summer.
    His wages are going to be nice

177 mil a year. Obscene

Don’t blame him

It's pure marketing by Saudis, who want the world cup .

I remember there was a big fuss when big names like Pele , Best ,Cryuff. Muller, Beckenbauer, Eusebio, Bobby Moore all got signed up for MLS to boost its appeal and footprint on the world , it started attracting big crowds. USA finally got the world cup, I'm the Saudis will as well ...they are spreading thier football interests

International

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    177 mil a year. Obscene
    Ending his career and taking the maximum cash like Bale, nice work if you can get it!

177 mil a year. Obscene
    Is it really any more obscene than say £500,000 per week? Or £100,000 per week? Football wages have been obscene for many years. I'm not sure it makes much difference whether the ridiculous wages are paid via Arab natural resources, worldwide TV revenues, Roman Abramovich's ill gotten Soviet gains or rich Yanks. Does it matter anymore? It's all well beyond our control. I keep hearing that a club is nothing without the fans but that's not true. Not really. An ultra rich club is something less without fans, but it will always have fans while there is wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Is it really any more obscene than say £500,000 per week? Or £100,000 per week? Football wages have been obscene for many years. I'm not sure it makes much difference whether the ridiculous wages are paid via Arab natural resources, worldwide TV revenues, Roman Abramovich's ill gotten Soviet gains or rich Yanks. Does it matter anymore? It's all well beyond our control. I keep hearing that a club is nothing without the fans but that's not true. Not really. An ultra rich club is something less without fans, but it will always have fans while there is wealth.
    Well yes money wise it’s much more obscene, but doesn’t mean that the other amounts still aren’t obscene.

Football died a long time ago for me, money has ruined it.

Well yes money wise it’s much more obscene, but doesn’t mean that the other amounts still aren’t obscene.

Football died a long time ago for me, money has ruined it.
    At least it's working class lads who are doing well out of the market, some (like Ronaldo) who came from a very poor background, And i'm sure that plenty of them have looked after friends and family as well as their communities, as is the case with a lot of the South American players. Good luck to them, it is actually a case of those with the talent and who have committed to the hard work getting what they deserve in the market place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Thought he wanted Champions League football?
    Asian Champions League?

I’d had the Sporting thought a while back.
    He could have kept himself in great shape there ready for the next Euro campaign, been closer to family, inspired (maybe even coached) young Portuguese players and it would’ve given his reputation a massive boost - particularly after the last few years.
    Instead, he appears to be chasing the money - and in a country that has been much criticised for its ownership of Newcastle United.
    It’s a sad addition to his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Ending his career and taking the maximum cash like Bale, nice work if you can get it!
    When Bale signed for LA the club claimed that he wasn’t getting a massive salary. I think it was supposed to be a squad average salary. They could have been lying I suppose?

He would have got sponsorship and endorsement money on top - and a very nice lifestyle - but it didn’t appear to be an end of career ‘cashing in’ move like Ronaldo’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    At least it's working class lads who are doing well out of the market, some (like Ronaldo) who came from a very poor background, And i'm sure that plenty of them have looked after friends and family as well as their communities, as is the case with a lot of the South American players. Good luck to them, it is actually a case of those with the talent and who have committed to the hard work getting what they deserve in the market place.
    Mane has pretty much rebuilt his home village and surrounding ones in his region. It's unfair when footballers get generalised as being selfish money grabbers.

They've got to devote their lives to it from the age of about 10 nowadays, if not younger, to have even a chance of making it. I'm with you, I'd much rather see the talent making serious money from a multi billion industry than getting creamed off for CEOs and shareholders and investors.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Mane has pretty much rebuilt his home village and surrounding ones in his region. It's unfair when footballers get generalised as being selfish money grabbers.

They've got to devote their lives to it from the age of about 10 nowadays, if not younger, to have even a chance of making it. I'm with you, I'd much rather see the talent making serious money from a multi billion industry than getting creamed off for CEOs and shareholders and investors.
    Exactly, you said it better than me