+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics'

'Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics'

https://www.ft.com/content/c361e372-...3-f5c0a7767cf4

Why would young people ever vote conservative? They've repeatedly shown they don't care about our issues.

I can't wait for the day where we permanently kick these corrupt dinosaurs to the curb.

Re: 'Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics'

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

Why would young people ever vote conservative? They've repeatedly shown they don't care about our issues.

I can't wait for the day where we permanently kick these corrupt dinosaurs to the curb.
    Why would they vote Labour if they have ambitions, what policies would encourage their vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Why would they vote Labour if they have ambitions, what policies would encourage their vote ?
    Redistribution of wealth! What more could anyone ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Ah that’s going to seal it for them.

Ah that’s going to seal it for them.
    Yes I agree

And how much redistribution do you want???

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    As much as it takes

We've had decades of wealth being redistributed upwards but discuss the possibility of it coming the other way and right wingers lose their shit.

We've had decades of wealth being redistributed upwards but discuss the possibility of it coming the other way and right wingers lose their shit.
    Since the banking system was created, has wealth distribution been allocated fairly, not just in this country but worldwide ?

Since the banking system was created, has wealth distribution been allocated fairly, not just in this country but worldwide ?
    I'm sure you have a point there but I don't know what it is.

There has been banking since about 2000 BC (or BCE). It may have helped wealth accumulation and concealment but there are many more reasons for wealth inequality. The first reason is successful use of violence and intimidation against wealth creators.

Doucas is talking about a political party using governmental power through the tax system and spending plans to produce a fairer and more equal society. He has a lot of stereotypes in his head whenever he goes on about millennials, but his main point about relative generational wealth is right.

How does your reference to the worldwide banking system answer that point? Are you arguing that redistribution is wrong, that it is pointless, or that it wont work because there are banks 'worldwide' that somehow negate any government action?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm sure you have a point there but I don't know what it is.

There has been banking since about 2000 BC (or BCE). It may have helped wealth accumulation and concealment but there are many more reasons for wealth inequality. The first reason is successful use of violence and intimidation against wealth creators.

Doucas is talking about a political party using governmental power through the tax system and spending plans to produce a fairer and more equal society. He has a lot of stereotypes in his head whenever he goes on about millennials, but his main point about relative generational wealth is right.

How does your reference to the worldwide banking system answer that point? Are you arguing that redistribution is wrong, that it is pointless, or that it wont work because there are banks 'worldwide' that somehow negate any government action?
    I was referring to the FRA generally. I think this present government has made many mistakes but the minimum wages have helped the lower paid and in particular this group.

There are so many arguments regarding this issue , from the very rich , down to the black economy. How many posters have paid cash in hand for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I saw a video last week of an interview with an economist who said that when he was in university in the early eighties the CEO of a company was paid six times on average the amount his or her employees got. By 2020, that figure had risen to sixty three times as much - getting that figure back to something more like the levels of forty years ago seems fair to me.

As much as it takes
    The more we take off the Tories, the better

I mean they are all very happy when they are being looked after by the spivs in the tory government

Now it's time to .....level up

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I saw a video last week of an interview with an economist who said that when he was in university in the early eighties the CEO of a company was paid six times on average the amount his or her employees got. By 2020, that figure had risen to sixty three times as much - getting that figure back to something more like the levels of forty years ago seems fair to me.
    That may well be true but in my case as a household we pay more tax (around 40%) and get nothing from the government, not even child benefit or assistance towards child care costs. CEO’s I would imagine have would have paid a fortune in college fees.

Opportunity is there if you put the effort in I’m sure, and Sludge , before you comment on anything me and my wife grew up on a council estates and people who I grew up with have all done ok as well as they worked hard - mainly after pissing around in the school system

That may well be true but in my case as a household we pay more tax (around 40%) and get nothing from the government, not even child benefit or assistance towards child care costs. CEO’s I would imagine have would have paid a fortune in college fees.

Opportunity is there if you put the effort in I’m sure, and Sludge , before you comment on anything me and my wife grew up on a council estates and people who I grew up with have all done ok as well as they worked hard - mainly after pissing around in the school system
    So, which side of the debate are you on? Do you think modern day CEOs are more than ten times better than they were forty years ago or your typical worker ten times worse? Maybe it’s somewhere in the middle? You must believe one of these scenarios given that you’re trying to justify the situation.

So, which side of the debate are you on? Do you think modern day CEOs are more than ten times better than they were forty years ago or your typical worker ten times worse? Maybe it’s somewhere in the middle? You must believe one of these scenarios given that you’re trying to justify the situation.
    I don’t think you are ever going to get CEO’s of big companies to level up financially regardless of who ,is in power otherwise it would have been done by now.

More could be done in respect of house prices though, which are ridiculous and would help the group in question within this thread no end.The problem with property though , it’s a real asset , whereas cash etc is artificial and the level of debt is unlikely be repaid.

Here we are debating wealth distribution whilst supporting a sport overrun by millionaires and big organisations

Eloquent as always. The same 'survey' in 1969 came to similar results - since then labour have had a majority govt. on 3 out of 15 occasions.

I'd hazard a guess that a CEO in the 1980s was looking after a business that was regional or maybe national, whereas the CEO today is looking after a national or international. I'm not justifying what can be diplomatically described as very generous remuneration packages, but we're not comparing like for like. Top businesses these days are much much larger and more complex than they were 40 years ago.

I think they will need to redesign themselves quite drastically. Even their biggest supporters know the writing is on the wall for the next election, if labour last just two full terms then a lot of the Tory's current base will be dead and if they can't turn over a new leaf then they will be dead with them.

That said, I didn't buy into Boris and his 3 terms or labour being 'unelectable for a generation' after 2019 (which was heavily pushed on here) and I think it's way too early to call how this will go.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Eloquent as always. The same 'survey' in 1969 came to similar results - since then labour have had a majority govt. on 3 out of 15 occasions.
    Show me this survey.

Even if you're right and this survey did exist, the difference between your day and now is that young people have access to the Internet and communicate more than ever. The lies of the right wing press such as the daily mail and the sun fall apart from the slightest bit of scrutiny and young people can see it and are in despair at older generations lapping up the bullshit from the billionaire class.

Answer the question, why would any young people vote tory? How have they improved the lives of the young over the past 12 years?

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that a CEO in the 1980s was looking after a business that was regional or maybe national, whereas the CEO today is looking after a national or international. I'm not justifying what can be diplomatically described as very generous remuneration packages, but we're not comparing like for like. Top businesses these days are much much larger and more complex than they were 40 years ago.
    What happened to Dry Cleaning? Washed out?

What happened to Dry Cleaning? Washed out?
    Oh right 👉!

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    International businesses existed 40 years ago.

Arguably the invention of the internet and communication formats like emails, video conferences, file sharing, online document editing, etc would make an international CEO's job easier than a national CEO from 40 years ago who was dealing with pen and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    International businesses existed 40 years ago.

Arguably the invention of the internet and communication formats like emails, video conferences, file sharing, online document editing, etc would make an international CEO's job easier than a national CEO from 40 years ago who was dealing with pen and paper.
    There is a thread on the other board arguing that jobs are getting harder and more stressful and I tend to agree , so I’m not so sure I agree in this instance with your post.

There is a thread on the other board arguing that jobs are getting harder and more stressful and I tend to agree , so I’m not so sure I agree in this instance with your post.
    I also agree with the sentiment in that thread, I think for the most part jobs have got harder. I don't think CEO's work 10 times harder than they did 40 years ago or that they now work 63 times harder than their average worker just because some CEO's now manage international businesses.

These days you could have a video conference with clients in Tokyo, Sydney and New York and you can all discuss and edit digital documents or blueprints in real time, all of which is done without leaving the office.

Compare that to 40 years ago with a CEO having a similar meeting to discuss a business operating in London, Manchester and Glasgow for example. I don't think it was 10 times easier 40 years ago just because you're all in the same country.