+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does that game tell us?

What does that game tell us?

That if we get players in the box then we can score goals, some great movement from Harris and ojo for the goals, but more importantly, we had other players in the same positions, which pulled Leeds out a bit.

Second half we didn't compete, allowed them possession, or maybe couldn't sustain the discipline and shape of the first half. Probably should have been 4-2 to Leeds.

First half though, encouraging.

Re: What does that game tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That if we get players in the box then we can score goals, some great movement from Harris and ojo for the goals, but more importantly, we had other players in the same positions, which pulled Leeds out a bit.

Second half we didn't compete, allowed them possession, or maybe couldn't sustain the discipline and shape of the first half. Probably should have been 4-2 to Leeds.

We completely ran out of puff. Tanner is absolutely miles off it, he needs his time at York. Moving Harris up front didn’t help, he was protecting Sang as well. We did well though, the first half is a good showing. One major plus was Rino, he was good. Great pass. Ojo too, has some confidence. I think with Robinson and Kipre to come back in, there’s definite positives and a way forward

I would like to see Ojo play number 10 against Wigan.

Also really didn’t like us going to a back 5. And it was a back 5. I’d have much rather we went to 441, with Sang and Ng on the right

...despite some reservations....am more confident going forward IF we can keep up the enthusiasm. For me Davies was a catalyst...a VERY big asset.

Davies should make a difference and hopefully Maguiness as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Also really didn’t like us going to a back 5. And it was a back 5. I’d have much rather we went to 441, with Sang and Ng on the right
    yes

Not a lot.

Most won't be in the 11 v Wigan.

Weirdly clinical first half, well off the pace 2nd.

I suppose best bit was that we actually got men forward in the first half. If we were as brave second half and more alert at corners we may have got through.

Davies made a massive difference. It was noticeable that when he came off their two centre backs felt much more comfortable.

Can't fault the team, it was a very entertaining game. Shame we didn't win it

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    Davies made a massive difference. It was noticeable that when he came off their two centre backs felt much more comfortable.

We looked very good until we started bringing the first teamers on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not a lot.

Most won't be in the 11 v Wigan.

Weirdly clinical first half, well off the pace 2nd.

I suppose best bit was that we actually got men forward in the first half. If we were as brave second half and more alert at corners we may have got through.
    There appears to be a total inability by some people to recognise that 1) We were playing a Premier League team 2) We had five or six first team players out 3) We played the last 10 minutes with 10 men. I really don't know how anyone can criticise anything about that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post

Agree....there IS hope....

If Davies stays healthy and we play to his strengths he’s like a new signing for us.

Some of our fringe players have a part to play for us the rest of the year… that first half was far better than anything we have played in the last few weeks after a tough first 10 minutes.

We are still worryingly shit at defending set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Confirmation that we are perennial bottlers.

Thoroughly and completely depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

They brought on a 30m pound player. Grow up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

C'mon Bob, i hear you, but given the position we are in and the glimmer of hope during the first half, then i'm going to try and concentrate on the positives. We were ****ed in the second half, Leeds played around us. The formation seemed to work during the first half, a 4 1 4 ?

Done alright first half in that we competed and Leeds were put under pressure by City. Leeds Centre halves when pressurised were dogshiit.

Taking Davies off (which is totally understandable and expected) after 63 minutes and changing the shape of the team to basically hold on to a 2 goal lead was asking for it to bite them on the arse with Rodrigo on the pitch.

It allowed Stryuck(?) and the other lad to move forward.

City were knackered too?

It would be great if City showed as much commitment to work and go forward against Wigan next Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There appears to be a total inability by some people to recognise that 1) We were playing a Premier League team 2) We had five or six first team players out 3) We played the last 10 minutes with 10 men. I really don't know how anyone can criticise anything about that performance.
    They made similar changes and are also struggling.

We played with 10 men as Bagan played gk.

Even so, I wasn't criticising at all, just don't think there are that many positives either, other than scoring 2 goals. It absolutely wasn't the thumping I feared.

Actually what am I saying, we scored 2 goals from open play, genuinely that could be massive for us. I'm surprised there wasn't a pitch invasion.

It was great to go down and just enjoy a game at last.

I thought Hudson mis-managed the second half. Although there wasn't really much he could've done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought Hudson mis-managed the second half. Although there wasn't really much he could've done anyway.
    Had to take Davies off but Tanner is absolutely useless. He's miles off the pace. Harris also can't play there, and moving him from the right exposed Sang. Also, I really hated the back 5. Put Ng on right mid, or right back and push Sang forward and basically play 2 right backs. Ah well, hard to criticise too much, they got a lot right in the first half. First game in ages Rino looked like he could play a bit and Ojo, thank God, he's remembered he can play a bit. Davies is a right pest, his pace is scary. However, it might not have made a big difference, Leeds brought on some seriously good players and they were all over us.

It struck me that perhaps we aren't as bad as we think. Even with a team shorn of most of it's usual 'first-choice' players, we more than held our own against a Premier side. Agreed, Leeds had done some 'resting' of their own, but they still should have been good enough to beat us. I was expecting a three- or four-goal loss, so a draw and a replay is a bonus (even if it did feel like a loss at the final whistle). To replace the entire back four, and the keeper, and the midfield.....and still perform the way we did - hats off to them all. Well done.

The game taught us that Rodrigo made a bigger difference than our subs, that we've really missed Isaak Davies and that Leeds' reserve CBs aren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Had to take Davies off but Tanner is absolutely useless. He's miles off the pace. Harris also can't play there, and moving him from the right exposed Sang. Also, I really hated the back 5. Put Ng on right mid, or right back and push Sang forward and basically play 2 right backs. Ah well, hard to criticise too much, they got a lot right in the first half. First game in ages Rino looked like he could play a bit and Ojo, thank God, he's remembered he can play a bit. Davies is a right pest, his pace is scary. However, it might not have made a big difference, Leeds brought on some seriously good players and they were all over us.
    It's almost like Marsch thought "I'll throw this lot on and see what happens, if it doesn't go so well I'll make the substitutions and we'll be fine". Once they got going Leeds should have got 4 or 5. I'm sure he won't be too concerned about the replay.

It tells me that you can't beat real quality with players who try ........we tried today but Leeds were clearly a few steps ahead of us

But .....all the players and the manager put in a shift

And you can't ask for anything more