+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gareth Bale retiring from international and club football

Gareth Bale retiring from international and club football

According to the headline on Wales online

Re: Bale retiring from Wales duty

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    And club football too according to his Twitter account !

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Retired from ALL football with immediate effect!

Bale has retired full stop. Greatest I've ever seen play for Wales. Thanks for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    And club football too according to his Twitter account !
    Bloodyhell. That's a big decision to make. Must be missing out on a fair bit of dough from the La contract

After careful and thoughtful consideration, I announce my immediate retirement from club and international football.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have realised my dream of playing the sport I love. It has truly given me some of the best moments of my life. The highest of highs over 17 seasons, that will be impossible to replicate, no matter what the next chapter has in store for me.

From my very first touch at Southampton to my last with LAFC and everything in between, shaped a club career that I have an immense pride and gratitude for. Playing for and captaining my country 111 times has truly been a dream come true.

To show my gratitude to all of those that have played their part along this journey, feels like an impossibility. I feel indebted to many people for helping to change my life and shape my career in a way I couldn’t have ever dreamed of when I first started out at 9 years old.

To my previous clubs, Southampton, Tottenham, Real Madrid and finally LAFC. All of my previous managers and coaches, back room staff, team mates, all the dedicated fans, my agents, my amazing friends and family, the impact you have had is immeasurable.

My parents and my sister, without your dedication in those early days, without such a strong foundation, I wouldn’t be writing this statement right now, so thank you for putting me on this path and for your unwavering support.

My wife and my children, your love and support has carried me through. Right beside me for all the highs and lows, keeping me grounded along the way. You inspire me to be better, and to make you proud.

So, I move on with anticipation to the next stage of my life. A time of change and transition, an opportunity for a new adventure…

(Gareth Bale)

Can't say I'm surprised, but thanks for piloting Wales through the most successful period in our footballing history.

He obviously thought he couldn’t recapture what he had achieved. I’d hoped he’d guide the squad through the euros but it’s not to be.

What a fantastic career he's had. Wonder what the new adventure will be.

No surprise. He hasn't got any more to offer. He's achieved his footballing dreams and been Wales' greatest ever sportsman.

Legend doesn't come close.

[QUOTE=jon1959;5380474][COLOR="#0000FF"]After careful and thoughtful consideration, I announce my immediate retirement from club and international football.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have realised my dream of playing the sport I love. It has truly given me some of the best moments of my life. The highest of highs over 17 seasons, that will be impossible to replicate, no matter what the next chapter has in store for me.

From my very first touch at Southampton to my last with LAFC and everything in between, shaped a club career that I have an immense pride and gratitude for. Playing for and captaining my country 111 times has truly been a dream come true.

To show my gratitude to all of those that have played their part along this journey, feels like an impossibility. I feel indebted to many people for helping to change my life and shape my career in a way I couldn’t have ever dreamed of when I first started out at 9 years old.

To my previous clubs, Southampton, Tottenham, Real Madrid and finally LAFC. All of my previous managers and coaches, back room staff, team mates, all the dedicated fans, my agents, my amazing friends and family, the impact you have had is immeasurable.

My parents and my sister, without your dedication in those early days, without such a strong foundation, I wouldn’t be writing this statement right now, so thank you for putting me on this path and for your unwavering support.

My wife and my children, your love and support has carried me through. Right beside me for all the highs and lows, keeping me grounded along the way. You inspire me to be better, and to make you proud.

So, I move on with anticipation to the next stage of my life. A time of change and transition, an opportunity for a new adventure…owner ,manager of Cardiff City AFC

(Gareth Bale)
    Thanks for the memories.

There’s goes our sell on fee.

Quite emotional about this, he was integral in allowing me to see two things I never thought I'd ever see, Wales in a Euros and a World Cup. What a man.

A truly world-class player!

I remember seeing Bale play left-back for Southampton at Ninian Park (he would have been 16 perhaps?). I hadn't heard of him at that time, perhaps not too surprising, considering he was just starting out in the game. In fact, I didn't even know he was from Cardiff!

I was standing at the front of the Bob Bank near the Canton Stand and got my first close look at him. I just remember him doing a simple thing, which was to close down a City player, but the speed at which he did stuck with me.

Lovely words posted on twitter.

Best Welsh player in my lifetime, possibly ever providing me with huge excitement and memories that will stay with me always.

Have a Happy and Long retirement Gareth, you have deserved everything you have and still have coming to you.

Diolch yn Fawr

I guess the flag can now be amended to just read ‘Golf’

3...2...1 on the Bale for next City manager rumour mill!
    Qatar was such a disappointment. He led his country to the World Cup but never managed to recapture the spirit and achievement of the 2016 Euros. Thanks to the memories Gareth. Enjoy the golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    There’s goes our sell on fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    A truly world-class player!

I remember seeing Bale play left-back for Southampton at Ninian Park (he would have been 16 perhaps?). I hadn't heard of him at that time, perhaps not too surprising, considering he was just starting out in the game. In fact, I didn't even know he was from Cardiff!

I was standing at the front of the Bob Bank near the Canton Stand and got my first close look at him. I just remember him doing a simple thing, which was to close down a City player, but the speed at which he did stuck with me.
    I've always wondered what the hell they were doing playing him left back mind. He must have showed glimpses of his attacking ability.

The best Welsh player of all time for me, Fortunate to have shared some magical times with him playing

helped us qualify for 2 Euro's and 1 World Cup

cheers

When people in China ask me where I'm from, I tell them "Wales" the immediate reply back is almost always the same...."Ah, Bale"!

Been reliably informed by a good ITK source that was at the club and trust meeting that he's retiring in order to buy City.

Joint partnership with cock book Clive.

You read it here first.

Thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Been reliably informed by a good ITK source that was at the club and trust meeting that he's retiring in order to buy City.

Joint partnership with cock book Clive.

You read it here first.

Thank me later.
    I wish! Maybe Ramsey could join the syndicate!

I'm really sad about this even though it was inevitable.
    What a phenomenal and inspirational player!