+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gareth Bale retiring from international and club football

Re: Bale retiring from Wales duty

What a player and what a career.

Re: Gareth Bale retiring from all football

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I wish! Maybe Ramsey could join the syndicate!
    The 'informed ITK source' says its Gunter whose contribution will be a game of Twister, Ker Plunk, an Atari console, a big share bag of Jelly Tots and an entertaining rendition of 'Waka Waka' to boost team spirit within the club.

Apparently it done everyone the world of good in Qatar.

Re: Gareth Bale retiring from international and club football

I’m surprised he’s retired from club football as well as international football. After the disappointment of Qatar, I understand that decision but I thought he may have stayed in LA for a couple of years and enjoyed the lifestyle. Good luck to him, whatever he decides to do in the future. Will Ramsay now follow suit and retire from international football?

Ramsey apparently deeply effected by what happened and now Bale suddenly retiring - it seems our failure runs deep among our top players. This is no surprise given the attitude among the squad and I reckon Bale and Ramsey have played a huge part in fostering that.

If Bale has any feelings of having let the country down in Qatar, he has no need for them - he’s well in credit when it comes to his Wales career and what happened in the World Cup does not alter my opinion that we have been lucky enough to have seen Wales’ greatest ever footballer at his best.

At his best, Bale was only behind Messi and Renaldo for me - he was the third best player in the world about a decade ago. As for a game, I’m going for the friendly with Iceland when a good international team at the time were helpless against him - i’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better individual performance in the flesh than that one.

I wish him a happy retirement and success in.whatever he does next.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I'm really sad about this even though it was inevitable.
    What a phenomenal and inspirational player!
    Yes me too. I was kinda hoping he'd get himself fit for the next Euros.
    A sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ramsey apparently deeply effected by what happened and now Bale suddenly retiring - it seems our failure runs deep among our top players. This is no surprise given the attitude among the squad and I reckon Bale and Ramsey have played a huge part in fostering that.

If Bale has any feelings of having let the country down in Qatar, he has no need for them - he’s well in credit when it comes to his Wales career and what happened in the World Cup does not alter my opinion that we have been lucky enough to have seen Wales’ greatest ever footballer at his best.

At his best, Bale was only behind Messi and Renaldo for me - he was the third best player in the world about a decade ago. As for a game, I’m going for the friendly with Iceland when a good international team at the time were helpless against him - i’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better individual performance in the flesh than that one.

I wish him a happy retirement and success in.whatever he does next.
    The Austrian free kick goal is alive in my memory as I was at the game with my lad who thought he had witnessed 'magic'. The look on my lads face due to Bale was phucking brilliant and its moments like that he caused for others which will mark him down as a Welsh legend.

I don't usually subscribe to soppy craap like this either.

My boy mind has commented he can now go and play golf and is totally non plussed with him retiring.

In a way, os getting to the semi finals of the Euros is as close as we will ever get to winning that competition, so to me, we actually did win it in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In a way, os getting to the semi finals of the Euros is as close as we will ever get to winning that competition, so to me, we actually did win it in 2016
    I love that logic and have decided to adopt it myself.
    What an achievement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I love that logic and have decided to adopt it myself.
    What an achievement!!!
    It's true though In my house we won the competition. In the interests of fairness this 'rule' should apply to all teams. For instance, if San Marino finished 2nd in the group stages, they've won it, because that's as good as it gets. Scotland would have to get to the quarters and so on. All the big fish have to win the actual final. So, in short, we have won the euros and England have not. I demand a trophy presentation at the next Euros.

International

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    According to the headline on Wales online
    Five or six years ago he started semi-retirement when he chose to take the money at Real Madrid rather than concentrate on playing as long as possible, and that hasn't changed since.

Still what a player and even though he gave up a bit early we still owe him a lot, we wouldn't have qualified for anything without him!

Good luck Bale thanks for the memories!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Been reliably informed by a good ITK source that was at the club and trust meeting that he's retiring in order to buy City.

Joint partnership with cock book Clive.

You read it here first.

Thank me later.
    He loves the money there is no way he would pour it down the drain.

awsome awsome player and memories... made wales great again

but ill say what lots of folks dont want to get jabbed for.... shithouse! could have spent the last few months with us and end his playing days here

something obviously up as he was only just saying the other week he was going to carry on playing for wales never mind club... he must have picked up a knock that rules him out so hes called it a day now

so wonderfull to see him score for wales in the worldcup... but wish he went out on a high

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Five or six years ago he started semi-retirement when he chose to take the money at Real Madrid rather than concentrate on playing as long as possible, and that hasn't changed since.

Still what a player and even though he gave up a bit early we still owe him a lot, we wouldn't have qualified for anything without him!
    I get the impression that he isn't a huge lover of football, or something certainly changed in him.I agree with Bob when he said that at his best he was only behind Messi and Ronaldo for a time during his career. I don't think that we will see him doing punditry any time soon, unless it's a Welsh Game. He seems like a bit of a free spirit and he doesn't seem to be entrenched in the game like so many other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's true though In my house we won the competition. In the interests of fairness this 'rule' should apply to all teams. For instance, if San Marino finished 2nd in the group stages, they've won it, because that's as good as it gets. Scotland would have to get to the quarters and so on. All the big fish have to win the actual final. So, in short, we have won the euros and England have not. I demand a trophy presentation at the next Euros.
    Genius.
    It would be a happier world :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Been reliably informed by a good ITK source that was at the club and trust meeting that he's retiring in order to buy City.

Joint partnership with cock book Clive.

You read it here first.

Thank me later.
    Think he wants to enjoy the fortune he’s amassed no?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bale has retired full stop. Greatest I've ever seen play for Wales. Thanks for the memories
    This

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    This
    Thank you Gareth for being so dedicated to Wales. I don't think we could ever under-estimate his contributions and he'll go down as the greatest ever, especially taking into account his club career.

Really sad about this news, but at the same time if he can't find the level of fitness he needs anymore, then I think he's making the right decision.

I hope that he stays involved in some way with the Welsh setup so that he can continue his legacy by inspiring others.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    According to the headline on Wales online
    He is one of the very, VERY few players that I can think of, let alone ever seen, who could change a game on his own.

And I have been there to see it! Imagine what we'll think of him on 20 years time?!

A national hero.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Think he wants to enjoy the fortune he’s amassed no?
    I'm taking the piss buddy.

I just thought I'd start the rumour before Mr. Panorama's board kicks it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bale has retired full stop. Greatest I've ever seen play for Wales. Thanks for the memories
    Have you never heard of John Charles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Have you never heard of John Charles ?
    What's that got to do with the comment? Pedro said Bale was the greatest he had ever 'seen' play for Wales. John Charles played his last game for Wales in 1965. Most posters on here will never have seen him play.

You can't blame the guy - he was never going to get into the City side. I mean, who would they drop?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What's that got to do with the comment? Pedro said Bale was the greatest he had ever 'seen' play for Wales. John Charles played his last game for Wales in 1965. Most posters on here will never have seen him play.
    I can also say he was the best I’ve ever seen and there’s some good players when you look back. John Charles before my time, I generally think you shouldn’t compare different generations as it’s not fair, but I doubt if you put both on a pitch at their peak that he’d be better than Bale

A statue in Cardiff city centre, please

I agree. When I see what Ronaldo has decided to do I am glad Bale is getting out with dignity