+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roberto Martinez new Portugal manager

Roberto Martinez new Portugal manager

Very lucky to get that job in my opinion. 6 years in charge of a stacked Belgian squad and he got very little out of them .

Re: Roberto Martinez new Portugal manager

Have to agree, wasted a golden generation

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Have to agree, wasted a golden generation
    Lost a World Cup semi final to France in 2018. By 2021, most of their great players are over the hill. I don’t get this argument, their big chance was 2016, and Wilmots was the manager

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lost a World Cup semi final to France in 2018. By 2021, most of their great players are over the hill. I don’t get this argument, their big chance was 2016, and Wilmots was the manager
    But they came across the best team in the tournament!

Yes, I found the critiscm a bit harsh tbh. They were calling him a failure on Talk Sport earluier this week.

Belgium is still a relatively small country and he had a 70% win record. Didier Deschamps has got to 3 major finals, winning one of them, plus winning the Nations league, with a far bigger pool of players and yet only has a 64% win rate. Its small margins and I dont think by Belgium not winning a major trophy should be deemed a failure.

They might have been the golden generation of Belgium players but was that squad better than the squads of top nations like France, Spain, Brazil.etc?

I'd have him down the City.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    But they came across the best team in the tournament!
    Yes, and they should have won it! Their Achilles heel has been a lack of full backs. It’s held them back.

Yes, and they should have won it! Their Achilles heel has been a lack of full backs. It’s held them back.
    And i think that they're a bit soft in the 'Championship rounds' Martinez is a brilliant coach but his teams don't seem to have that killer instinct in order to go from being brilliant, to actual winners. Hartley mentioned France, they have that winning mentality, when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And i think that they're a bit soft in the 'Championship rounds' Martinez is a brilliant coach but his teams don't seem to have that killer instinct in order to go from being brilliant, to actual winners. Hartley mentioned France, they have that winning mentality, when it counts.
    DD is a winner, isn’t he. As is Mbappe. That France team that beat Belgium in 2018 was a bit good mind

DD is a winner, isn’t he. As is Mbappe. That France team that beat Belgium in 2018 was a bit good mind
    Yup. It's an interesting subject, players who are winners. There are plenty of great footballers, but not many 'Winners' And they are usually found out if and when they make the switch to a club that does win things, where it is demanded. I always said that Ramsey wasn't a winner at the highest level, where Bale most certainly was, although both great players. The ones like Modric, Ramos, Bale, etc are hard to find, and aren't just world class, but have that mental strength.