+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steven Caulker playing for Wigan this weekend?

Steven Caulker playing for Wigan this weekend?

Hadn’t seen this posted but…. Back in the championship after 5 years

Be interesting to see what’s left of his ability

Re: Steven Caulker playing for Wigan this weekend?

Its been mentioned, he won the first ever top flight South Wales derby for us, can’t fault him for that goal.

Re: Steven Caulker playing for Wigan this weekend?

Wigan is his 14th club.

He has only played 7 games this season in Turkey. Left as a free agent. It looks as if he may be in the Wigan squad at the weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a few weeks off being fit enough to play much.

Forgotten Liverpool flop Steven Caulker has made the 14th transfer of his career by joining ex-Reds team-mate Kolo Toure at Wigan.

Toure took charge of Wigan in November last year and decided to haul in Caulker in January's transfer window. The pair know each other quite well from the time they spent together at Anfield back in 2016 for six months.

Caulker joined Liverpool on loan from QPR, and played three games for the Kop giants before leaving at the end of the season to subsequently move to Dundee United. The 31-year-old brings a wealth of experience to the Latics as he's spent time at 14 clubs during his chequered career.

Detailing how the move came to fruition, Caulker explained how pivotal Toure was in the negotiations. The centre-back said: "He spoke about the challenge that we face, and he wanted me to be a part of it.

"For me, he’s a great guy and one of the best guys I’ve met in football. The manager played a key part in myself coming here. I’m an experienced player and I’ve had 14-15 seasons under my belt, and for me, the most important thing is mutual respect with the manager.

The one-capped England ace, who now plays for Sierra Leonne, then traded England for Turkey to join Alanyaspor in 2019. He stayed in Turkey for a while and had stints with Fenerbahce, Gaziantep FK, and most recently, Karagumruk.

He left the latter on New Year's Day on a free transfer before Toure rescued him from football's scrapheap. And his arrival has come at the right time for the Latics who languish at the bottom of the Championship table.

Speaking about the challenges the squad face ahead of their next game against his former side Cardiff, Caulker said: "We face Cardiff on Saturday, who are an old team of mine. I know they are in a similar position to us, fighting for points.

"It is such a tight league table where there are just three points between us and safety, and we will be working hard every day in training to keep us in the Championship and aim even higher for the weeks and months to come. It’s just a pleasure to be here. I have had such a warm welcome today, and I’m excited to get started.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...l-pal-28916936