+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special health tax to help towards funding the NHS in Wales

International

Re: Special health tax to help towards funding the NHS in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There is only a finite amount of money though. Free prescriptions is undoubtedly nice but the poorest in England get them anyway. In Wales we choose to give them to everyone. Again, a nice to have sure but arguably not the best use of money.

The best argument I have heard for it was that it would cost more to administer it if it was means tested. I'm not sure that's true if you base it on pre existing benefits and that also is an argument for universal benefits for everything
    It goes too far, no free Calpol or free gluten-free bread and crackers, and probably loads of other things that people could buy, but why bother when they can get a free prescription?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Free prescriptions for people unfortunate enough to be on very little money and with multiple health issues most certainly is a priority.
    In England, I think long-term proper meds free such as statins, etc, but if you have an infection and one-off anti-biotics, or hemorrhoid cream you pay for it, which makes sense.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I agree, this is how the system should work. Everyone pays in whether they expect to use the system or not. I am reasonably healthy for my age and very rarely need access to the NHS but I continue to contribute financially (and have done all my adult life) to provide support for those less fortunate than myself.
    Same here I'm happy with UK government tax, but I don't want to pay additional welsh tax for the NHS when the money wasn't prioritised and instead spent on other daft ideas like lower speeds than England, longer lockdowns and let's damage our economy more than England.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    In England, I think long-term proper meds free such as statins, etc, but if you have an infection and one-off anti-biotics, or hemorrhoid cream you pay for it, which makes sense.
    I’ve always thought that they should prescribe stuff not available over the counter for free.

Doesn’t seem right paying god knows how much to prescribe paracetamol when anyone can get them for 20p

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Same here I'm happy with UK government tax, but I don't want to pay additional welsh tax for the NHS when the money wasn't prioritised and instead spent on other daft ideas like lower speeds than England, longer lockdowns and let's damage our economy more than England.
    We haven't paid additional Welsh tax for the Welsh NHS though, so I don't follow your statement that the money was (past tense) instead spent on other daft ideas like lower speeds than England, [and] longer lockdowns?

Nye Bevan brought in the NHS bill and it was aimed mainly at those who could not afford health care , and it was not to be abused .. if he was introducing the bill today it wouldn't look the same , as its too big unfundable as it has been abused and rich folk should pay more and charges should be levied at those who abuse it ..

To think its the 5th biggest body or organisation in the world speaks volumes..

Yes Blair brought the waiting lists down and so will Kier but at what cost , more privatisation?? Or lashings of more money into a bottomless pit.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nye Bevan brought in the NHS bill and it was aimed mainly at those who could not afford health care , and it was not to be abused .. if he was introducing the bill today it wouldn't look the same , as its too big unfundable as it has been abused and rich folk should pay more and charges should be levied at those who abuse it ..

To think its the 5th biggest body or organisation in the world speaks volumes..

Yes Blair brought the waiting lists down and so will Kier but at what cost , more privatisation?? Or lashings of more money into a bottomless pit.
    In all fairness a sensible post from you for a change

What is needed is 100 surgical hubs across Wales by the end of the year , bit like erecting nightingale hospital's , this takes the pressure off A&E . they would deal with minor keyhole surgeries etc , just need experienced full trained medical Nurse on better wages but less that the extortionate money GP 's earn ,they would operate longer weekday hours i.e. up to 8pm and weekends .

Given the money you could purchase refurbished artic lorries , bit like the ones Blood and MRI units use . I'd site them them in set large Doctors car parks or large industrial /shopping estates not in Hospitals ..

For the Cardiff lick off plan Id have one on Newport Road retail , one at Cardiff Gate , one by the City ground ,places like MacArthur Glenn are ideal .. I bet there are a few Blood vehicles just parked up all winter ..

I had my latest MRI scan in one of these lorries , bit chilly but hey its colder dead in the ground

I would have a two tier system for cosmetic health procedures based on means testing so if you want your penis enlarge or breast reduced or your waist fat sucked out some of you pay .

If I can sit and type this idea in why cant Welsh Health think and do the same , one of the biggest failings in Wales and Scotland was flushed out in the pandemic it exposed how poorly run the NHS is run in those countries and was way before Covid and our ability not to cope because of poor Welsh Government planning and budget cuts ..

No we don't want 18 more AM's costs , added bureaucracy , managers on £40 to £50k looking after a small hill in Wales , expenses , freebies paid by tax payers , free festivals , vanity art constructions , 18k living wages , we want care , education , policing, yep all in the gift of the magic Labour Party of Wales ..

All you do is get the the key things right first then flap around with voter friendly shite

Oh and leave the self gender crap alone that will cost us another department ,managers , public discussion , government time ( oh its coming old Mark has been a muttering ) yep it costs

We could do with Nightingale-style pop-up wards into which those folk who are well enough to leave hospital but can't because of lack of social care facilities, could be housed. This would free up beds and in turn ease the pressure on the ambulance service and A&E departments. Clearly if they are well enough to leave hospital then they don't need intensive nursing or medical supervision, just a kind of rehab facility until other provision becomes available.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    In all fairness a sensible post from you for a change
    Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Universal free healthcare is something to be cherished and preserved.