+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Manager rumours..

Re: Manager rumours..

They were so excited on the dark side, they thought it was Bernard Manning being touted.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People like Warnock , Fat Sam when he was on his game and others got results

I think Eric is obsessed with the style of play which is all very romantic but percentage footballs tends to get results
    The operative word being "got". Football has moved on since then.

Mick McCarthy played percentage football last season and it most certainly didn't get results.

Good players don't want to play in those systems.

People seem to think that if you try and play football and you don't win games, the obvious solution is to revert straight back to hoofball.

The reality is far more nuanced than that. We're in trouble not because of our style of play, but because we lack individual quality in the key areas. Ability-wise, our squad just isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Anyone know the last time we appointed a manager who was managing at another club when we appointed them??
    Nevermind that, most never work again after either so that must fill applicants with glee

We have made poor decision after poor decision with appointments.
    It needs a complete overhaul in the way we approach things,
    I doubt that will ever happen with the current board, but you would think after the continued failure of selecting the right candidate, they might just might think maybe we should be approaching this in a different way.🤷*♂️

My preferred choice would be Sean Dyche but because of his Malky connection VT ain't got the humility to get him, so I would then go for an up and coming manager like Darrell Clarke. and after that anyone bar Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    The operative word being "got". Football has moved on since then.

Mick McCarthy played percentage football last season and it most certainly didn't get results.

Good players don't want to play in those systems.

People seem to think that if you try and play football and you don't win games, the obvious solution is to revert straight back to hoofball.

The reality is far more nuanced than that. We're in trouble not because of our style of play, but because we lack individual quality in the key areas. Ability-wise, our squad just isn't good enough.
    Agree with this, other than the quality of the squad reference. We've been unlucky with injuries and suspensions; Robinson/Etete/Davies/Colwill. Watters is better than he showed when selected and the performances of Ojo/Sawyers/Philogene have been sub their obvious ability. With the squad we have, we could/should have been mid table.

I hope we get Dean Smith, but failing that, a punt on someone like Manning would surely be preferable to a Warnock/McCarthy type appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    My preferred choice would be Sean Dyche but because of his Malky connection VT ain't got the humility to get him, so I would then go for an up and coming manager like Darrell Clarke. and after that anyone bar Warnock.
    haha yeah sure we would definitely get Dyche if it wasn't for the fact that he once worked with Malky

Manning is an interesting one - his stock was so high in the summer that I'm sure he would have thought he could have done better than us if we'd been interested in him then.

MK Dons came really close to automatic promotion last season and so, to an outsider like me, their problems this season have come as a complete surprise and I defy anyone to say they really thought he'd be sacked before this season was halfway over.

What went wrong for Manning in just four months of this season? This thread makes an interesting read and I think suggests that Manning could be a very good appointment for someone - there's a lot of sympathy for him among MK Dons fan.

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourcl...t=liam+manning

However,, it seems to me that quite a bit of that thread could also apply to Mark Hudson at Cardiff, so would Manning be able to cope here?

My view, based on limited knowledge of the man and his work is that Liam Manning could turn out to be an inspired choice as manager if he was left alone and allowed to get on with the job himself with, perhaps. a senior figure (something like Lennie Lawrence with Mike Flynn at Newport) on hand to offer support and advice when he needed it - but would that ever happen at Vincent Tan's Cardiff City?

Bob, he got 15 points from 20 matches which is ultimately relegation form for sure, that would be a huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Nevermind that, most never work again after either so that must fill applicants with glee
    Good point but it is also reflective of the fact we shop cheaply in the manager market in the first place so them going onto nothing after being given little chance to succeed here is probably no surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Bob, he got 15 points from 20 matches which is ultimately relegation form for sure, that would be a huge concern.
    Of course it would, but I think we need to be realistic about the sort of candidates for the job we're looking at - if we're still looking to do things on the cheap then Manning is worth considering.

An experienced backup who isn't angling for the top job would be a good shout. Morison and Hudson lacked an experienced figure to call upon.

We also need a clear out of outfield first team coaches. It's not just on the manager to drill a style a play into our squad and I can't recall the last player who we signed and improved. We've made profits on players like Kieffer Moore but did he actually improve whilst with us. I think our coaching has been substandard for years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Of course it would, but I think we need to be realistic about the sort of candidates for the job we're looking at - if we're still looking to do things on the cheap then Manning is worth considering.
    We are definitely fishing in a tiny pond of minnows...
    I look at that stat though and wonder how it could have gone so badly wrong.
    I know there are varying factors, but it makes you wonder whether he's completely lost the dressing room or something.

Manning is an interesting one - his stock was so high in the summer that I'm sure he would have thought he could have done better than us if we'd been interested in him then.

MK Dons came really close to automatic promotion last season and so, to an outsider like me, their problems this season have come as a complete surprise and I defy anyone to say they really thought he'd be sacked before this season was halfway over.

What went wrong for Manning in just four months of this season? This thread makes an interesting read and I think suggests that Manning could be a very good appointment for someone - there's a lot of sympathy for him among MK Dons fan.

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourcl...t=liam+manning

However,, it seems to me that quite a bit of that thread could also apply to Mark Hudson at Cardiff, so would Manning be able to cope here?

My view, based on limited knowledge of the man and his work is that Liam Manning could turn out to be an inspired choice as manager if he was left alone and allowed to get on with the job himself with, perhaps. a senior figure (something like Lennie Lawrence with Mike Flynn at Newport) on hand to offer support and advice when he needed it - but would that ever happen at Vincent Tan's Cardiff City?
    Didn't they sell a few of their "star" players??

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    We are definitely fishing in a tiny pond of minnows...
    I look at that stat though and wonder how it could have gone so badly wrong.
    I know there are varying factors, but it makes you wonder whether he's completely lost the dressing room or something.
    I don’t disagree with you - hiring someone like Manning could go very wrong, but, if we’re going to hold what was an awful record this season against him, shouldn’t we also note last season’s very good one? I think it was Organ Morgan who pointed out earlier that, despite his struggles this season, his win record as a manager is still above forty seven per cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Didn't they sell a few of their "star" players??
    Darling, Kasumu and Twine. They also had a few good loans, that they didn’t replace. I’m not sold on Manning for now, he’s got a bigger job on his hands than the one he’s just failed at. It represents a major gamble. He’s not in a position like a Wilder or Smith to tell Tan to keep his beak out, so that’s where I hope we look. If someone like Smith wants “assurances” that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Darling, Kasumu and Twine. They also had a few good loans, that they didn’t replace. I’m not sold on Manning for now, he’s got a bigger job on his hands than the one he’s just failed at. It represents a major gamble. He’s not in a position like a Wilder or Smith to tell Tan to keep his beak out, so that’s where I hope we look. If someone like Smith wants “assurances” that is a good thing.
    that would definitely explain the downturn in performance.
    definitely a bit of a gamble but I think it's a better looking appointment than Hudson or Morison were.

We've got Dean Whitehead and just appointed Jonny Northeast as head of sports science. Valerien Ismael took them both to Besiktas, and Northeast has worked with Ismael at Barnsley and WBA... Probably getting 18 from 2 and 2 but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that would definitely explain the downturn in performance.
    definitely a bit of a gamble but I think it's a better looking appointment than Hudson or Morison were.
    Well, yes but that's a bit of a given . It doesn't mean it is a good idea just means it isn't completely ridiculous like the last two were.

Has it been reported that Smith wants “assurances”? I’d ruled the likes of Wilder and Smith out because I didn’t think they were that desperate.

Has it been reported that Smith wants “assurances”? I’d ruled the likes of Wilder and Smith out because I didn’t think they were that desperate.
    Saw it on twitter. Also, there's about 10 Champ jobs either of them could realistically get, probably less, and some of them are much smaller clubs than us. They'll never get a PL job, and unless they want to drop into League One and have a season or two there, beggars can't be choosers.

We've got Dean Whitehead and just appointed Jonny Northeast as head of sports science. Valerien Ismael took them both to Besiktas, and Northeast has worked with Ismael at Barnsley and WBA... Probably getting 18 from 2 and 2 but still...
    interesting call.
    another one who plays 3-4-3 or variations thereof.
    think he was a bit more direct than some of the others though wasn't he?

did very well to get Barnsley to the playoffs, but his record since then isn't good.
    a lot of his run at Barnsley was down to him bringing in Daryl Dike, who couldn't stop scoring

Saw it on twitter. Also, there's about 10 Champ jobs either of them could realistically get, probably less, and some of them are much smaller clubs than us. They'll never get a PL job, and unless they want to drop into League One and have a season or two there, beggars can't be choosers.
    There’s the Tan/Dalman/Choo factor though. If that is true about Smith, I’m surprised he’s even contemplating us, notwithstanding the fact he had such a bad time at Norwich - I wouldn’t mind him, thought he did well at Walsall, Brentford and Villa where I didn’t see much evidence of the dull football he’s supposed to have played at Norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    interesting call.
    another one who plays 3-4-3 or variations thereof.
    think he was a bit more direct than some of the others though wasn't he?

did very well to get Barnsley to the playoffs, but his record since then isn't good.
    a lot of his run at Barnsley was down to him bringing in Daryl Dike, who couldn't stop scoring
    If he came in, we'd sign Mowatt on loan, I'd be sure of that

There’s the Tan/Dalman/Choo factor though. If that is true about Smith, I’m surprised he’s even contemplating us, notwithstanding the fact he had such a bad time at Norwich - I wouldn’t mind him, thought he did well at Walsall, Brentford and Villa where I didn’t see much evidence of the dull football he’s supposed to have played at Norwich.
    If you're ruling out clubs with bad owners, steer clear of the Champ. Every manager we can feasibly get is going to unattached, meaning something has gone wrong somewhere be it Smith at Norwich, Wilder at Boro or Ismael etc at WBA and Besiktas. Also, if Ismael is going to take the WBA and Besiktas jobs, I don't think he is that arsed about owners