+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which players are needed to improve team?

Which players are needed to improve team?

My view is that we first need to sort the left back position to get ODowda further forward. Is Bagan good enough? If not get one on loan
    Once that is done get 2 strikers in. Hugill and the Turkish? guy transformed our season.
    These changes, coupled with getting Davies and Colwill back will make a big difference, with of course the right manager.

Re: Which players are needed to improve team?

Left back, creative centre mid and a centre forward. We need all 3. Someone to pass the ball into the final third, someone to put the ball in the back of the net and someone to push O'Dowda further forward. That being said, I wouldn't be against us signing a good winger and leaving O'Dowda at left back.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    My view is that we first need to sort the left back position to get ODowda further forward. Is Bagan good enough? If not get one on loan
    Once that is done get 2 strikers in. Hugill and the Turkish? guy transformed our season.
    These changes, coupled with getting Davies and Colwill back will make a big difference, with of course the right manager.
    Agree the two most important positions are left-back and strikers, O'Dowda is wasted at left-back and would help us create more opportunities upfront, so almost like having a new more creative winger. I also agree we need two Strikers that can score or help others score. We need at least one big one as we can't do anything from crosses and corners at present. I like Hugill, I thought his contribution was underrated by many fans, not realising the way he held the ball up, took defenders out of the box, and set up good opportunities for the other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Left back, creative centre mid and a centre forward. We need all 3. Someone to pass the ball into the final third, someone to put the ball in the back of the net and someone to push O'Dowda further forward. That being said, I wouldn't be against us signing a good winger and leaving O'Dowda at left back.
    I think we may have him already if he stays fit and the new manager gives him a run of games

A left back,
    midfield and attack

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agree the two most important positions are left-back and strikers, O'Dowda is wasted at left-back and would help us create more opportunities upfront, so almost like having a new more creative winger. I also agree we need two Strikers that can score or help others score. We need at least one big one as we can't do anything from crosses and corners at present. I like Hugill, I thought his contribution was underrated by many fans, not realising the way he held the ball up, took defenders out of the box, and set up good opportunities for the other players.
    We've got similar players to Hugill, though. We need a goalscorer. Hugill, with 10 goals in 73 Championship appearances since August 2021 and can't get close to an average Norwich side, isn't that. It shows how bad our options are if we're considering him.

I think a left back and two strikers would do it, also a midfielder ideally.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think we may have him already if he stays fit and the new manager gives him a run of games
    Robinson? I agree, just need to get Etete fit and firing

The issue is goals.

What we need more than anything is the midfield supporting the attack.

What i'd give for a 2013 MK1 Jordan Mutch

Three solid journey-men, central defender to marshal the defence, a midfielder who can pass the ball to someone in the same colour shirt, and some fecker up front who can 1)hold the ball up 2)put the frigging ball in the net

most of the managers we are linked with seem to favour 3 at the back, and I don't actually mind having o dowda and Bagan as options for the left there.
    with Romeo out I think we are really light at rwb, Ng is a decent enough centre back or full back but I'm not sure he offers enough attacking threat as a wing back. and Im not convinced by sang there either.

so rwb would be my first signing and I'd be having a few words on Wednesday with Leeds to see if Drameh was available on loan.

Hopefully McGuinness to go CB.

Hugill or an quivalent up front.

A left back and someone in midfield who can pass it.

Doyle Drameh Hugill again would probably keep us up.

A regular goalscorer would be novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We've got similar players to Hugill, though. We need a goalscorer. Hugill, with 10 goals in 73 Championship appearances since August 2021 and can't get close to an average Norwich side, isn't that. It shows how bad our options are if we're considering him.
    We don't have anyone that can hold the ball up and bring others into play. When we clear it at the moment, it just comes straight back.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Colwill I'd guess. Etete is a massive project. There are promising signs but he's extremely raw. He snatches at everything.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We don't have anyone that can hold the ball up and bring others into play. When we clear it at the moment, it just comes straight back.
    Yes and he often pulls two defenders out leaving teams vulnerable to a ball over the top to Davies, Robinson, or Harris, he would give us a lot more options upfront which is what we are lacking at the moment, thats why we have so few chances.

In central midfield? I meant Colwill. Our midfield has been far too conservative this season, we've played 3 holding midfielders at times. Ralls and Wintle are enough to provide defensive cover in there, no need for a third defensive player

Have Robinson out wide if we bring in a new striker. We're in deep trouble if we're relying on Etete

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    In central midfield? I meant Colwill. Our midfield has been far too conservative this season, we've played 3 holding midfielders at times. Ralls and Wintle are enough to provide defensive cover in there, no need for a third defensive player

Have Robinson out wide if we bring in a new striker. We're in deep trouble if we're relying on Etete
    I don't think that Colwill can play as that Midfield player who can break the lines, carry the ball over ten yards in to space and put defenders on the backfoot, in a sort of Tommy Doyle style, following his pass and getting beyond etc. I'm looking at Colwill and i think that he's just way to big and slow to play that role. He has the natural attributes, not the physical in my opinion. Something went wrong with him in terms of coaching and identifying his best position and what type of player he was going to develop into. He's not a natural midfield player and he's not a number 10, he certainly isn't a wide player.

There are two options in my opinion, The Ampadu role or a Number 9, due to his size, composure and to negate his lack of pace. The problem as i see it though is that his upper body ability is poor to suit a number 9 position and his defensive positioning isn't great if he was to play that position between defence and midfield, although i'm sure that he could set up play very well from that area of the pitch.

The club do have a real problem with Colwill in terms of positioning, and i think that's why he doesn't figure regularly, and in a way, i can sort of understand the issue they have. He's massive, isn't quick, although does have good vision and is essentially a footballer. I don't watch a great deal of football, but is there an advanced creative midfielder out there who is 6ft5, slow, but composed and has that bit of vision? That's a serious question, not trying to be flippant. Who can we compare Colwill to?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Three solid journey-men, central defender to marshal the defence, a midfielder who can pass the ball to someone in the same colour shirt, and some fecker up front who can 1)hold the ball up 2)put the frigging ball in the net
    Yep, I'd say that's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that Colwill can play as that Midfield player who can break the lines, carry the ball over ten yards in to space and put defenders on the backfoot, in a sort of Tommy Doyle style, following his pass and getting beyond etc. I'm looking at Colwill and i think that he's just way to big and slow to play that role. He has the natural attributes, not the physical in my opinion. Something went wrong with him in terms of coaching and identifying his best position and what type of player he was going to develop into. He's not a natural midfield player and he's not a number 10, he certainly isn't a wide player.

There are two options in my opinion, The Ampadu role or a Number 9, due to his size, composure and to negate his lack of pace. The problem as i see it though is that his upper body ability is poor to suit a number 9 position and his defensive positioning isn't great if he was to play that position between defence and midfield, although i'm sure that he could set up play very well from that area of the pitch.

The club do have a real problem with Colwill in terms of positioning, and i think that's why he doesn't figure regularly, and in a way, i can sort of understand the issue they have. He's massive, isn't quick, although does have good vision and is essentially a footballer. I don't watch a great deal of football, but is there an advanced creative midfielder out there who is 6ft5, slow, but composed and has that bit of vision? That's a serious question, not trying to be flippant. Who can we compare Colwill to?
    My issue is with Colwill is his immensely poor decision-making. Call it overconfidence if you want.

However that's never going to improve if he doesn't play regularly. It's a catch-22.

My issue is with Colwill is his immensely poor decision-making. Call it overconfidence if you want.

However that's never going to improve if he doesn't play regularly. It's a catch-22.
    young players often have poor decision making, I can remember arsenal fans moaning about that aspect of Ramsey's game

Playing regularly might not fix that issue. Footballing intelligence. I've always thought that top end championship players aren't far off Average premier league players in terms of ability, the difference (in my opinion) is intelligence on the football pitch, those who forge a career at the highest level are quicker to think, and i don't believe that it can be taught. Look at someone like Mendez laing, on his day he would give the best full backs in the country problems, then on another day he would run the ball out of play etc. Basically, he is/was a stupid footballer, no brains, didn't have the abilty to think, slow his game down on occasion, slip inside, make intelligent runs, conserve himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't watch a great deal of football, but is there an advanced creative midfielder out there who is 6ft5, slow, but composed and has that bit of vision? That's a serious question, not trying to be flippant. Who can we compare Colwill to?
    The only player I can think of who ticks some of those boxes is Tom Huddlestone. He’s a big unit and a creative midfielder. I think he’s always been a bit more physical than Colwill, though.

Here’s one to be on: 36 year-old Huddlestone has made three appearances this season for Manchester Utd’s under-21’s in the Football League Trophy. Apparently, he has a coaching role at Old Trafford but is still registered as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The only player I can think of who ticks some of those boxes is Tom Huddlestone. He’s a big unit and a creative midfielder. I think he’s always been a bit more physical than Colwill, though.

Here’s one to be on: 36 year-old Huddlestone has made three appearances this season for Manchester Utd’s under-21’s in the Football League Trophy. Apparently, he has a coaching role at Old Trafford but is still registered as a player.
    That is a fantastic shout, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post

Cenk Tosun and Dele Alli (both on loan) to follow our new manager and his assistants (both already here) from Besitkas?