+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which players are needed to improve team?

Re: Which players are needed to improve team?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That is a fantastic shout, good work!
    I think Huddlestone played deeper and deeper as his career progressed, but he was definitely a player who could pick a pass. I may be wrong, but I don’t recall him having any real pace at any stage. He’s one of those players who was always believed by many to have more potential than his abilities actually warranted, although he’s had a good career and represented England at every level.

I don't think that Colwill can play as that Midfield player who can break the lines, carry the ball over ten yards in to space and put defenders on the backfoot, in a sort of Tommy Doyle style, following his pass and getting beyond etc. I'm looking at Colwill and i think that he's just way to big and slow to play that role. He has the natural attributes, not the physical in my opinion. Something went wrong with him in terms of coaching and identifying his best position and what type of player he was going to develop into. He's not a natural midfield player and he's not a number 10, he certainly isn't a wide player.

There are two options in my opinion, The Ampadu role or a Number 9, due to his size, composure and to negate his lack of pace. The problem as i see it though is that his upper body ability is poor to suit a number 9 position and his defensive positioning isn't great if he was to play that position between defence and midfield, although i'm sure that he could set up play very well from that area of the pitch.

The club do have a real problem with Colwill in terms of positioning, and i think that's why he doesn't figure regularly, and in a way, i can sort of understand the issue they have. He's massive, isn't quick, although does have good vision and is essentially a footballer. I don't watch a great deal of football, but is there an advanced creative midfielder out there who is 6ft5, slow, but composed and has that bit of vision? That's a serious question, not trying to be flippant. Who can we compare Colwill to?
    I think he can to be honest, he does his best work when he plays in the middle and tends to drift in there from the wing

I think people over-exaggerate how slow Colwill is, his size makes him look laboured and it doesn't help that he didn't have a pre season in that regard. He can beat players quite easily, which suggests a speed of thought and quick feet, how many genuinely slow players can beat a man? I'd say he's proven he can carry the ball, he's also shown he can finish but is perhaps not a natural striker, we all know he's a big lad and he should learn how to use his size as he ages. For me that role as the more advanced of a midfield 3 (not necessarily a 10) is the one for him

There's not many to compare him to, sure, but is that a bad thing? There's nothing wrong with being a bit unconventional. He's not unique, off the top of my head Matt Crooks at Boro is about the same size and has always played as an attacking midfielder and has been pretty good at it too at this level. If we look at the highest level Kaka doesn't exactly fit the archetype for Brazilian attacking midfielder but he was one of the best in the world. Dele Alli's a big lad and was one of the best in Europe for a time

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    In central midfield? I meant Colwill. Our midfield has been far too conservative this season, we've played 3 holding midfielders at times. Ralls and Wintle are enough to provide defensive cover in there, no need for a third defensive player

Have Robinson out wide if we bring in a new striker. We're in deep trouble if we're relying on Etete
    Colwill isn't good enough. I'd sooner loan him out to league 1 than stick him in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think Huddlestone played deeper and deeper as his career progressed, but he was definitely a player who could pick a pass. I may be wrong, but I don’t recall him having any real pace at any stage. He’s one of those players who was always believed by many to have more potential than his abilities actually warranted, although he’s had a good career and represented England at every level.
    Yup, intelligent player if i recall. I really do think that Colwill is a bit stuffed, he doesn't use his height or size to his advantage, and by saying that i mean a nailed on footballing career. It's a bizzare situation, and i can really see why managers have had difficulty in putting him in.

Yup, intelligent player if i recall. I really do think that Colwill is a bit stuffed, he doesn't use his height or size to his advantage, and by saying that i mean a nailed on footballing career. It's a bizzare situation, and i can really see why managers have had difficulty in putting him in.
    He isn't particularly quick or agile, and like you say is seemingly unable to use his size to his advantage. He isn't exactly a grafter either, nor does he really find himself in goal scoring positions that often, though to be fair barely anyone else in the team is so he isn't the only one. So effectively unless the ball is given directly to him he isn't really worth much of a place on the pitch.... even Tomlin got about more than he did.

He should really be sent out on loan to someone at the top end of league 1, things are going downhill for him and rapidly. Doesn't help some of our fans think he's the second coming either.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    He isn't particularly quick or agile, and like you say is seemingly unable to use his size to his advantage. He isn't exactly a grafter either, so effectively unless the ball is given directly to him he isn't really worth much of a place on the pitch.... even Tomlin got about more than he did.

He should really be sent out on loan to someone at the top end of league 1, things are going downhill for him and rapidly. Doesn't help some of our fans think he's the second coming either.
    It's a weird one. I don't defend the club much, but on the situation with Colwill they must think what in gods name should we do with him! and i'm being serious.

It's a weird one. I don't defend the club much, but on the situation with Colwill they must think what in gods name should we do with him! and i'm being serious.
    Agreed. It's going one way for me, and that's him not progressing with us and leaving, which will result in the club getting chastised for it, but ultimately he hasn't staked his claim when fit and bar a few flash in the pan moments, his most impressive well over a year ago at Forest. He really hasn't done much to be the guaranteed starter people want him to be.

Colwill isn't good enough. I'd sooner loan him out to league 1 than stick him in midfield.
    I tend to agree but there’s a few on here thinking we should build a team around him as he’s the best player in a generation.

Joint top scorer last season at 19 despite starting less than half of our games and never being given a consistent run in the same position. He's played and scored for Wales and never looked out of place at international level. He's certainly good enough to get into a side that regularly features Mark Harris and Tom Sang

Agreed. It's going one way for me, and that's him not progressing with us and leaving, which will result in the club getting chastised for it, but ultimately he hasn't staked his claim when fit and bar a few flash in the pan moments, his most impressive well over a year ago at Forest. He really hasn't done much to be the guaranteed starter people want him to be.
    He has natural ability and composure, and is decent moving with the ball when defenders back off, but the rest of his game is just odd, he can't tackle, head a ball and has no idea what to do with his body when holding the ball up etc. It's like a circus clown attempting to Ballet Dance, and i feel a bit bad saying that.

Joint top scorer last season at 19 despite starting less than half of our games and never being given a consistent run in the same position. He's played and scored for Wales and never looked out of place at international level. He's certainly good enough to get into a side that regularly features Mark Harris and Tom Sang
    You mean joint top scorer with the whole of 5 goals? Big whoop.

You mean playing for the same country which have had Chris Gunter and Johnny Williams of L1 and L2 playing in the same time frame and have also looked alright? Big whoop.

He doesn't offer more than Mark Harris which might say it all, and Tom Sang has frequently featured in roles Colwill wouldn't be put in so bit of a pointless name to bring up.

He has natural ability and composure, and is decent moving with the ball when defenders back off, but the rest of his game is just odd, he can't tackle, head a ball and has no idea what to do with his body when holding the ball up etc. It's like a circus clown attempting to Ballet Dance, and i feel a bit bad saying that.
    I won't deny, his on the ball ability is cracking. Unfortunately this is the level where on the ball ability doesn't get you very far unless a few of the other things mentioned are at a decent ability. Outside of his technical ball ability the rest of his game is so poor it really drags him down to an average level... curently.

You mean joint top scorer with the whole of 5 goals? Big whoop.

You mean playing for the same country which have had Chris Gunter and Johnny Williams of L1 and L2 playing in the same time frame and have also looked alright? Big whoop.

He doesn't offer more than Mark Harris which might say it all, and Tom Sang has frequently featured in roles Colwill wouldn't be put in so bit of a pointless name to bring up.
    Still top scorer. Not bad considering it was his first full season and he was messed about, very rarely had a run of games or a fixed position.

Or alternatively the same country that has plenty of top division players? That's a bizarrely negative way to spin a Wales side that's one of our most successful ever. Also, Chris Gunter hasn't looked alright for Wales for a long time

Not really pointless, it illustrates just how poor this side is that we're regularly playing him, also Sang's played in midfield on occasions this season. I'd also say he offers more than Harris, he can actually put in a set piece for one thing which is very useful if we do actually play McGuinness

I think there's plenty of fair criticism of Colwill. He is suspect defensively, he could definitely put himself about more and learn to use his size, he's frankly shit in the air, but I'd argue a lot of these negatives are sometimes over-exaggerated and magnified with people some refusing to look at what he can actually do, which is beat a man and play a pass, something we sorely lack. We have plenty of players who can put in a tackle and a defensive shift, but we have next to nothing going forward, something I think Colwill can help with

Still top scorer. Not bad considering it was his first full season and he was messed about, very rarely had a run of games or a fixed position.

Or alternatively the same country that has plenty of top division players? That's a bizarrely negative way to spin a Wales side that's one of our most successful ever. Also, Chris Gunter hasn't looked alright for Wales for a long time

Not really pointless, it illustrates just how poor this side is that we're regularly playing him, also Sang's played in midfield on occasions this season. I'd also say he offers more than Harris, he can actually put in a set piece for one thing which is very useful if we do actually play McGuinness

I think there's plenty of fair criticism of Colwill. He is suspect defensively, he could definitely put himself about more and learn to use his size, he's frankly shit in the air, but I'd argue a lot of these negatives are sometimes over-exaggerated and magnified with people some refusing to look at what he can actually do, which is beat a man and play a pass, something we sorely lack. We have plenty of players who can put in a tackle and a defensive shift, but we have next to nothing going forward, something I think Colwill can help with
    In a weird kind of way, managers and fans know what they're going to get with players like Mark Harris and sang. I don't rate Harris particularly, although his movement is decent, and i think that sang is poor. But, in some perverted misguided kind of way, it works in both players favour because the expectation level is low and fans aren't expecting and are on the whole forgiving when they make mistakes. Basically, if a player is a bit shit but works hard then they are forgiven, in Colwill's case, he isn't shit,but can't do that work ethic shit because of his shape, size, style of play etc. If he could then fans wouldn't question his style as much. For me, well, he just flummoxes me (is that a word) i can't get my eye in with him. I really do hope that he does well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The only player I can think of who ticks some of those boxes is Tom Huddlestone. He’s a big unit and a creative midfielder. I think he’s always been a bit more physical than Colwill, though.

Here’s one to be on: 36 year-old Huddlestone has made three appearances this season for Manchester Utd’s under-21’s in the Football League Trophy. Apparently, he has a coaching role at Old Trafford but is still registered as a player.
    I read he has taken on a similar role to Andrew Crofts at Brighton whereby they are signed to play as a regular in their u21 team as an overage player to help develop players from on the pitch instead of someone barking instructions from the side-lines during matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hopefully McGuinness to go CB.

Hugill or an quivalent up front.

A left back and someone in midfield who can pass it.

Doyle Drameh Hugill again would probably keep us up.
    It was the difference last year I think

I don't think that Colwill can play as that Midfield player who can break the lines, carry the ball over ten yards in to space and put defenders on the backfoot, in a sort of Tommy Doyle style, following his pass and getting beyond etc. I'm looking at Colwill and i think that he's just way to big and slow to play that role. He has the natural attributes, not the physical in my opinion. Something went wrong with him in terms of coaching and identifying his best position and what type of player he was going to develop into. He's not a natural midfield player and he's not a number 10, he certainly isn't a wide player.

There are two options in my opinion, The Ampadu role or a Number 9, due to his size, composure and to negate his lack of pace. The problem as i see it though is that his upper body ability is poor to suit a number 9 position and his defensive positioning isn't great if he was to play that position between defence and midfield, although i'm sure that he could set up play very well from that area of the pitch.

The club do have a real problem with Colwill in terms of positioning, and i think that's why he doesn't figure regularly, and in a way, i can sort of understand the issue they have. He's massive, isn't quick, although does have good vision and is essentially a footballer. I don't watch a great deal of football, but is there an advanced creative midfielder out there who is 6ft5, slow, but composed and has that bit of vision? That's a serious question, not trying to be flippant. Who can we compare Colwill to?
    If he could become the new Yaya Toure - with time and coaching - I would be very happy.

I think this goes back to the question of whether the club is able to improve players or not. Not confident in the current coaching track record - but most of the squad who are dismissed as Lesgue 1 or just ‘shit’ by posters on here have shown glimpses of better. Other clubs/managers have taken mixed bags of unwanted, lower league and youth and turned them into Premier League survivors. Cardiff should aspire to the same - not always looking to buy improvement.

Playing regularly might not fix that issue. Footballing intelligence. I've always thought that top end championship players aren't far off Average premier league players in terms of ability, the difference (in my opinion) is intelligence on the football pitch, those who forge a career at the highest level are quicker to think, and i don't believe that it can be taught. Look at someone like Mendez laing, on his day he would give the best full backs in the country problems, then on another day he would run the ball out of play etc. Basically, he is/was a stupid footballer, no brains, didn't have the abilty to think, slow his game down on occasion, slip inside, make intelligent runs, conserve himself.
    Yup, you've highlighted a classic example in Mendez Laing, he simply doesn't THINK!

Will Vaulks is another, he could have been a much, much, better player, if only he had a footballing brain. I'd even say the same about Joe Ralls - when was the last time he made you think... "Oh, that was clever from Ralls" or "Great vision there, by Ralls"?

Players who don't possess a footballing brain will usually huff & puff, without ever managing to blow the house down!