+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leadership on the pitch

Leadership on the pitch

We’ve naturally been talking about the club’s leadership off the pitch, be it the manager’s position or the board, but what about in the pitch?
    I’ve seen a few bits here and there saying that we lack leadership on the pitch and done of that could be attributed to us having a younger squad, but our captain has been with the club over a decade.
    Is he a good leader on the pitch?

Re: Leadership on the pitch

Agreed.
    That's what we've been missing since Morrison, Flint, Pelts, Bamba left the building.

Judging by interviews ive seen with Sean Morrison id say Ralls is probably a good enough captain.

Hes not going to be the leader that a 100% Sol Bamba or Sean Morrison would be though.

As a team we are a soft touch and im not sure who would be a better captain with our squad. Wintles vice captain and seems similar to Ralls. Nelson not good enough to start.

If Maguiness is proves good enough this season and we can keep hold of him then maybe he could be a long term option. I think he will be gone in the summer though.

I think weve more problems than who is captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Agreed.
    That's what we've been missing since Morrison, Flint, Pelts, Bamba left the building.
    Yep we dont have those types of players characters. We went for a complete change of style though so its not surprising.

With the squad we have I struggle to see a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yep we dont have those types of players characters. We went for a complete change of style though so its not surprising.

With the squad we have I struggle to see a better option.
    Thomas Frank made Romain Sawyer captain at Brentford because he felt he had leadership qualities and Frank is no fool as he has proved with Brentford.

Sawyer also played for Dean Smith at Walsall and Smith then took him to Brentford. When at Walsall Smith described Sawyer as a player with 'an excellent attitude and work rate' and he was virtually an ever present with Walsall,Brentford and West Brom between 2013 and 2019.

If (and in my view it is a very big 'if') Smith does become our new manager, perhaps he can get be Sawyers back to to his best form again,he is still only 31.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    We’ve naturally been talking about the club’s leadership off the pitch, be it the manager’s position or the board, but what about in the pitch?
    I’ve seen a few bits here and there saying that we lack leadership on the pitch and done of that could be attributed to us having a younger squad, but our captain has been with the club over a decade.
    Is he a good leader on the pitch?
    A leader doesn't have to be the captain and if the normal captain isn't on the pitch then others have to step up

There were a couple of times when ojo particularly tried a daft flick and lost possession and noone held him to account - we need one or two to step and not necessarily publicly shout at him but just remind him/them of what they should and shouldn't be doing - we are soft on the opposition but also soft on each other on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    A leader doesn't have to be the captain and if the normal captain isn't on the pitch then others have to step up

There were a couple of times when ojo particularly tried a daft flick and lost possession and noone held him to account - we need one or two to step and not necessarily publicly shout at him but just remind him/them of what they should and shouldn't be doing - we are soft on the opposition but also soft on each other on the pitch
    There are a lot of players who have come in who try the fancy flick without doing the basics first.

Get the game won and do what you like but get the ball from A to B as quickly as possible when you're trying to win a game or, as has been the case of late, trying to get back into a game.

i see names here but none of them are real leaders on the pitch.

We don't have any leaders on the pitch. That's a big part of the problem. Ralls has enough on his plate trying to be a midfielder, let alone be an inspiration as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Thomas Frank made Romain Sawyer captain at Brentford because he felt he had leadership qualities and Frank is no fool as he has proved with Brentford.

Sawyer also played for Dean Smith at Walsall and Smith then took him to Brentford. When at Walsall Smith described Sawyer as a player with 'an excellent attitude and work rate' and he was virtually an ever present with Walsall,Brentford and West Brom between 2013 and 2019.

If (and in my view it is a very big 'if') Smith does become our new manager, perhaps he can get be Sawyers back to to his best form again,he is still only 31.
    Sawyers' legs have gone, I doubt we'll see anything like his best