+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else happy with Tan?

Re: Anyone else happy with Tan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Any promotion to the PL was a mere pipedream before Tan’s funding (Yes we were close when he joined but likely to go to the wall let’s be honest). Any anti Tan sentiment never comes with a solution. Who else is interested in investment ?
    Who knows eh? Most will know they have to deal with Tan who wants to try and get back the millions he’s lost through his own shambolic decision making over the years, or Dalmans, take your pick…..if you were selling your house and every agent told you it’s worth 250k, your not going to get 350 are you…even though you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On money put into the club alone, there’s a pro Tan argument to be made, but can I ask whether you think we are going to improve any time soon if he stays on?
    I believe the main problem as noted by the OP is Dalman and Choo, both only less than part time in running the Club. Tan for some reason has a mental block in seeing how they run the Club which is worse than a Sunday League Club. Until he moves those two on and gets people in who know the day to day runnings then things will stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    A lot of people who hated Tan left when we turned red and haven’t come back ( there was a whole row of season ticket holders behind me who cancelled en masse and very few have returned since). I rarely attended a game in red but came back when we returned to blue. Maybe it’s my age but I’m convinced a little bit of passion for our club died in all of us when he went through with that monstrosity of a decision , even if you carried on going to games, it’s never been the same since. The promotion under Warnock was good but nowhere near the levels of passion I saw for the club in the Dave Jones era and before
    With all due respect your last sentence may represent the way you and some others feel and thats fair enough and I get why you feel that way.

But Neil Warnocks promotion season nowhere near the passion of the Dave Jones era and before. That just isnt true of our fan base as a whole.

There have been incredible atmospheres and passion shown home and away.

Its pretty shit at the moment due to the team and our lowly league position.

Ultimately everything comes down to what happens on the pitch.

The atmosphere and noise in the Ninian Stand has deteriorated over the years though. I dont know if thats because those wanting to stand and sing have moved to the Canton.

The Tan argument really centres around whether he is willing to admit that mistakes have been made in the past by the non-footballing side, rather than just blaming the footballing side management.
    All transfers are the responsibility of the Transfer Committee, so if Tan feels like he’s been hoodwinked into overpaying, then he should ensure that he’s getting better advice, rather than repeating the same cycle - perhaps a Director of Football would help…? 🤔
    Who else to replace Tan as owner? Well, these things are always kept out of the public domain and all my gazillionaire friends are busy with other things. Seriously, though, I’d love to see a consortium led by Bale and including other local heroes, but that’s probably a dream.
    Whilst the achievements and financial support under Tan cannot be ignored, the fact that we are in relegation trouble - again - changing managers regularly and no publicly declared plan, philosophy or regular fan engagement is more than a cause for concern.
    Swansea are the polar opposite of us. Their owners are not very forthcoming on the financial side, but in every other way they are years ahead of us and it’s embarrassing.

Happy that we have an owner who's been happy to chuck money at the club for years.
    Not happy that he continues to employ people to run the club who don't appear to have a clue how to.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Didn’t someone post on here the other day that Brighton are £450 million in debt? I don’t know if that’s actually true as they don’t spend big, in fact I think there team cost less than £50 million, and they sell big also…..
    Yes, I did. 6th biggest debt in PL, owed mainly to their owner.

The ideal scenario is someone with serious money and a real interest in taking the club upwards purchases the club and we move forward.

I very much doubt that will happen anytime soon. I doubt theres serious interest.

Unbelievably some people think Sam could buy us back.🤣🤣🤣

Any promotion to the PL was a mere pipedream before Tan’s funding (Yes we were close when he joined but likely to go to the wall let’s be honest). Any anti Tan sentiment never comes with a solution. Who else is interested in investment ?
    The play-off final in 2010 was hardly a pipe dream.

Let me ask you a question: had you ever heard of Vincent Tan before he got involved with City?

Its like going back 15 - 20 years. Even David Sullivan is getting mentioned again.

Any promotion to the PL was a mere pipedream before Tan’s funding
    What nonsense.

In 2006/07 we led the Championship for months and were well in contention for a playoff spot until a disastrous end of season run.

In 2008/09 we needed 2 points from our last 4 games to finish in the playoffs having also been in the running for automatic. We missed out.

In 2009/10 we got to the playoff final and lost.

In 2010/11 we led the division for a while and got to the playoffs again, but lost.

There's a common reason why we failed to go up during this time and it wasn't to do with funding. We had a policy of paying high wages and little in transfer fees but we still spent well. There's no doubt at all in my mind that we should have gone up during this time, when we arguably were in a better position to stay up with the players we had and the football we played.

The “you have to bring a solution” argument is bullshit. I don’t need to come in with a new buyer to see the shit he’s done to our club.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The “you have to bring a solution” argument is bullshit. I don’t need to come in with a new buyer to see the shit he’s done to our club.
    No your correct to see the shit hes done.

But we still need a buyer and someone to pay off all the debts and run the club.

I dont see us moving forward until hes gone and the club is taken over though.

Who knows maybe someone will come in.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just a weird standpoint. After all, how many of us had heard of Vincent Tan before he got involved with City? Furthermore, how many of the current Premier League and Championship football club owners had any of us heard of before they got involved in the sport?

Some genuinely seem to believe that this old Malaysian fella is the only rich bloke out there who has any interest in the idea of owning a Championship club. I guess they think City will simply fold when he eventually turns his toes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What nonsense.

In 2006/07 we led the Championship for months and were well in contention for a playoff spot until a disastrous end of season run.

In 2008/09 we needed 2 points from our last 4 games to finish in the playoffs having also been in the running for automatic. We missed out.

In 2009/10 we got to the playoff final and lost.

In 2010/11 we led the division for a while and got to the playoffs again, but lost.

There's a common reason why we failed to go up during this time and it wasn't to do with funding. We had a policy of paying high wages and little in transfer fees but we still spent well. There's no doubt at all in my mind that we should have gone up during this time, when we arguably were in a better position to stay up with the players we had and the football we played.
    I’m not sure I’d look at our playoff record like it’s a badge of honour….isn’t it won 3 ( when we won promotion to this league) lost 9 or something? I guess it shows some success moving forward but almost anything could after the previous 25 yrs….pre 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

But we still need a buyer and someone to pay off all the debts and run the club.

Why should a new buyer have to pay for Tans debts? They won’t pay an extra 50 million will they? He just won’t be able to sell us….

What debts? There are none. It is all payable to Ta....oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it's just a weird standpoint. After all, how many of us had heard of Vincent Tan before he got involved with City? Furthermore, how many of the current Premier League and Championship football club owners had any of us heard of before they got involved in the sport?

Some genuinely seem to believe that this old Malaysian fella is the only rich bloke out there who has any interest in the idea of owning a Championship club. I guess they think City will simply fold when he eventually turns his toes up.
    Apparently, according to a few on here if there was interest then we should all know about it. Despite what you say being absolutely correct. Most owners are well down th3 road to owning a club before anybody has heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    What debts? There are none. It is all payable to Ta....oh wait.
    And Dalman.

Apparently, according to a few on here if there was interest then we should all know about it. Despite what you say being absolutely correct. Most owners are well down th3 road to owning a club before anybody has heard of them.
    Lets hope thats the case then and a sale really is imminent.

And Dalman.
    That's exactly what I meant.

The excuse of 'its fine, it is all payable to Tan' is suddenly no longer the case.
    The debt to equity and debt free under Tan dream cannot be realised while money is owing to companies outside of Tan's own money.

And Dalman.
    Why do we owe Dalman £30 million anyway? That’s a lot of debt to suddenly build up? Doesn’t Tan always say he keeps putting money in last few yrs, so which is it because it surely can’t be both that would mean the club is being run far worse than I thought possible if they are both chucking in millions each month

There doesn't need to be a new owner.

I would be more than happy if the current owner ran this club in a proper manner. I'm sure his accountant would be too.
    I agree with this statement - without Tan we would be in the same state as Bury

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    to be fair, everything you have said it right, I personally think if Tan had done what Rob and Ryan had done at wrexham and installed a " Advisor to the Board " ( as they call it ) or Director of football ( as people have been asking for on here ) in Shaun Harvey things would have been different. Though saying that, they have put Humphrey Ker at Executive Director and he knows very little about football, so who knows
    They (Wrexham) have Shaun Harvey as the DoF, and they have Humphrey Kerr as the 'Owner's man on the Board'. He's there to see that Rob and Ryan's money is spent properly, and that the business is looked after. In effect, he is their equivalent of Ken Choo or Mehmet Dalman - he's a guy that they can trust, to keep their best interests at heart. In Cardiff's case, Vincent Tan will take their advice over anyone else's. And that's all well and good. In business, you need guys you can trust.
    The difference is, of course that 1. We don't have a Director of Football, and 2. Humphrey Kerr has taken the time and effort to learn everything he can about the game, and about the club. I'm not sure you can say that about Dalman, who didn't even take the time to get to know the new manager.

We have to get real. The club has so much debt nobody will buy it. It took Newcastle a few years to sell their club and they are a much better bet than us. The reality is that CCFC is unaffordable unless Tan is willing to accept a hefty loss which is unlikely. We may not be able to accept Tan's decisions but we cannot afford to live without him. Whatever people think he is an honourable man and could have walked away from the club before racking up millions of his own personal debt. He needs great credit for that in my book.