Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rebuffed - Sala Insurance arguments

Re: Rebuffed

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They do what they're told though.
    Will heads roll?

Ooh, a club statement
    "There has been selective reporting today of the defence filed against the claim the Club has brought against its insurance brokers for doing their job negligently.
    The Club did not try to insure Emiliano after the plane crash.

All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, and the case arises from learning they were not.

It will reply to the allegations made in the defence that are untrue, or portrayed out of context, in the court proceedings and will not litigate this case in the media."
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...atement-190123

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Ooh, a club statement
    "There has been selective reporting today of the defence filed against the claim the Club has brought against its insurance brokers for doing their job negligently.

All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, and the case arises from learning they were not.

It will reply to the allegations made in the defence that are untrue, or portrayed out of context, in the court proceedings and will not litigate this case in the media."
    The time for trying to claim the moral high ground regarding Emiliano Sala passed years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The time for trying to claim the moral high ground regarding Emiliano Sala passed years ago.
    From a Layman's point of view, and considering the factual information at hand, and the fact that Sala ended up in a Tomato can of a plane, piloted by a bloke without the relevant qualifications in a deal brokered by a bent money grabbing twat, who our manager at the time seemed to be in bed with, employing his sons etc, and zero insurance for a 15 million quid asset, sounds to me like negligence personified, a term of events that could only be re created by Del Boy and Rodders. It is absolutely shameful and embarrassing in every respect. Shame on CCFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    From a Layman's point of view, and considering the factual information at hand, and the fact that Sala ended up in a Tomato can of a plane, piloted by a bloke without the relevant qualifications in a deal brokered by a bent money grabbing twat, who our manager at the time seemed to be in bed with, employing his sons etc, and zero insurance for a 15 million quid asset, sounds to me like negligence personified, a term of events that could only be re created by Del Boy and Rodders. It is absolutely shameful and embarrassing in every respect. Shame on CCFC.
    At the end of the day someone should write a book about this!.....Bob?

From the club's statement:

"All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, and the case arises from learning they were not."

So, a club that has spent four years (and God knows how much money) denying that the player concerned had signed for them is now claiming the staff believed he was insured simply because he had signed for them.

Wonderful work.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe I’m being dense, but this is not normal practice for the insurance industry is it? I know dml says it is, but he’s wrong this time isn’t he?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64333540
    I'd say it's normal practice for an insurer to not pay out if you haven't taken out appropriate insurance. Had we taken out the insurance I'm sure the insurer would have had plenty of grounds to not pay out.

Tan needs to give up the fight. He hired incompetent people and needs to deal with their incompetence.

I'm looking forward to DML's response now we've had the press reporting on court documents.

Genuinely embarrassed to be a supporter of this club. How the hell did Tan ever make any money with this kind of sense of business.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

"All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, and the case arises from learning they were not."

So, a club that has spent four years (and God knows how much money) denying that the player concerned had signed for them is now claiming the staff believed he was insured simply because he had signed for them.

Wonderful work.
    Woeful, isn't it. It's like a Carry On film, Sid James as Neil Warnock, Leslie Samuel Philips as Dalman, Charles Hawtrey as Choo and Bernard Breslaw as Vinny Tan. Carry On Cardiff!

Woeful, isn't it. It's like a Carry On film, Sid James as Neil Warnock, Leslie Samuel Philips as Dalman, Charles Hawtrey as Choo and Bernard Breslaw as Vinny Tan. Carry On Cardiff!
    The Carry On actors wouldn't touch this script.

Too silly even for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Ooh, a club statement

Translated -

We’ve seen some reports today that have made us look incompetent to say the least and generally a bit of a laughing stock.

We didn’t call the insurance company to insure Emiliano after the plane crash, at the time that it was one of the top stories on the news - or at least none of us is owning up to it.

All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, despite it having never been the case with previous signings. We haven’t received any communication to tell us this before and think that maybe the emails just fell off the computer before we saw them.

I think it’s best all things considered that we don’t say anything else before we make the situation worse

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They do what they're told though.
    This specific incompetence stems from not understanding the insurance. I’m pretty sure Tan didn’t tell them to make sure they cock it up. Those two are supposed to manage the day to day and they are clearly not up to the task.

The problem is Vinny says he's going to Carry On Carrying On....more sequels to come I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Wonderful work.
    The club has tied itself in knots and looks desperate. The needle on the embarrassment dial is way into the red - redder than a rebrand red!

However, I don’t see any inconsistency in saying ‘We think X applies’ but if that is shown not to be the case (FIFA, CAS, and probably a Swiss higher court next month) then the situation must be Y.’

There has been endless confusion in this thread about the roles of insurers, brokers etc. I agree with the general view that the club look incompetent and clueless. But at the same time it doesn’t sound mad for a club to believe that the playing squad was covered by a general insurance policy from the time the player signed, and that player specific detail would be added to that a few days later.

If (big if) the brokers (acting as professionals advisors with a duty of care to their client) gave that advice or belief to club officials - and it turned out not to be true - there may well be a claim against them. Someone posted a few days ago to say his mate in the insurance industry thought Cardiff had a strong case.

The Sala tragedy was very rare if not unique, and the first time club officials would have had their understanding of the insurance cover position tested.

That said I fully expect the club to fail with its final appeal in Switzerland, get nothing out of the brokers, and collect a few worthless IOUs from eventually suing some of the parties involved in the flight. I don’t think this will end for years. Not all of it self inflicted, but a lot of it is! Turning a tragedy into a farce!

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Translated -

We’ve seen some reports today that have made us look incompetent to say the least and generally a bit of a laughing stock.

We didn’t call the insurance company to insure Emiliano after the plane crash, at the time that it was one of the top stories on the news - or at least none of us is owning up to it.

All Cardiff City Football Club staff understood from its broker that all players were insured from the moment they were signed, despite it having never been the case with previous signings. We haven’t received any communication to tell us this before and think that maybe the emails just fell off the computer before we saw them.

I think it’s best all things considered that we don’t say anything else before we make the situation worse
    Oi, boyo, lay off the satirical stuff in future. I don't want the competition, and your message was too good for my liking.

I think the point is this. If it was common practice for players to be automatically added to the policy upon signing then the club would have assumed that Sala was covered. If so they will have a good case in law to claim that he was covered the moment he signed.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I think the point is this. If it was common practice for players to be automatically added to the policy upon signing then the club would have assumed that Sala was covered. If so they will have a good case in law to claim that he was covered the moment he signed.
    I doubt it tbh, but I'm clearly not an expert, just usually it's the insurance company who wins in these situations

A few months earlier we’d signed two players for seven figure sums, so there were recent precedents in terms of transfer fee that could have been followed. The procedure for Sala would surely have been the same as the ones for Murphy and Decodova-Reid. In fact, no matter what the fee was shouldn’t the same things apply for any signing? I’m trying to think of the last player of ours who had to retire through injury and all I can think of is Ricky Scimeca (I’m sure there must have been someone else since then). What happened then as far as insurance was concerned regarding the club?

Re: Oh dear...

We are a class act...what an amazing business man Tan is

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    We are a class act...what an amazing business man Tan is
    It's hugely embarrassing.
    The whole world knew by the early hours of the morning that the plane had gone missing.
    It's likely the club were well aware long before that.
    Yet we try and insure the player later that next morning...

And then try suing the broker

They club have already denied it.

That statement is even more embarrassing!

No insurer in their right mind would automatically cover a player for £20mil without sighting the full medical results and having all relevant paperwork fully signed off!

Laughable at best, and laughed out of court for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Oi, boyo, lay off the satirical stuff in future. I don't want the competition, and your message was too good for my liking.
    I don’t want any trouble