+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For our Older Fans - Leeds Away FAC 3rd Round Jan 1975

For our Older Fans - Leeds Away FAC 3rd Round Jan 1975

I was never a fan of Leeds under Don Revie and my dislike has increased after our trip to Elland Road for the 3rd round FA Cuo tie in Jan 75. We had 2 full football specials that day, the first arrived ahead of us and they headed off from Leeds station before us. We caught up with them as they were being bricked on the way to ground. We would move forward, Leeds fans would throw a barrage of bricks then move back and we would move forward again. It was nasty all the way to the ground. We were outplayed and beaten 4-1 (we had a very late consolation goal Derek Showers ?). instead of being kept behind after the game our fans had started leaving early so our fans were going back to the station in small groups and many of us were picked off. I was a naive 15 year old (4th form at high school) and this was the first time I'd been attacked watching the City away. I was lucky just to come away with a bloody nose after 4 of them jumped me. Needless to say I have always hated Leeds and their fans with a passion and I am praying for a win tonight. Come on the Bluebirds.

Re: For our Older Fans - Leeds Away FAC 3rd Round Jan 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    I was never a fan of Leeds under Don Revie and my dislike has increased after our trip to Elland Road for the 3rd round FA Cuo tie in Jan 75. We had 2 full football specials that day, the first arrived ahead of us and they headed off from Leeds station before us. We caught up with them as they were being bricked on the way to ground. We would move forward, Leeds fans would throw a barrage of bricks then move back and we would move forward again. It was nasty all the way to the ground. We were outplayed and beaten 4-1 (we had a very late consolation goal Derek Showers ?). instead of being kept behind after the game our fans had started leaving early so our fans were going back to the station in small groups and many of us were picked off. I was a naive 15 year old (4th form at high school) and this was the first time I'd been attacked watching the City away. I was lucky just to come away with a bloody nose after 4 of them jumped me. Needless to say I have always hated Leeds and their fans with a passion and I am praying for a win tonight. Come on the Bluebirds.
    Always disliked Leeds. I didn’t go to that game, but I knew some who did and they said similar things to you. I loved it when they came here in the eighties after they’d been relegated and can remember us beating them when we had a really crap side which ended up getting relegated.

It’s easy to just say the FA Cup game when recalling wins over Leeds, but a real favourite for me was when Jason Koumas scored that brilliant goal within minutes of coming on for his City debut and then he scored with a free kick when we went up there and beat them.

Not hopeful about tonight though I’m afraid.

I was on one of those specials, that's exactly how I remembered it, I was 17, the most terrifying away trip I'd been on. I remember trying to practice saying 'I'm from Harrogate' in a Yorkshire accent all the way back to the station

Everyone i,ve spoken to who went by train had the same treatment. I was one of the lucky ones who went by coach. Not a very nice place. But i suppose other fans would say the same about coming to the old ninian park.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Everyone i,ve spoken to who went by train had the same treatment. I was one of the lucky ones who went by coach. Not a very nice place. But i suppose other fans would say the same about coming to the old ninian park.
    Again i was on a coach, drama free until we got to a service station and got involved in an altercation with Baggies fans

Anyone go up to Elland Road in September 83 ?

We were in the terrace paddock on the side

Crowd was 13000

We had about 1500 up there and 500 on the train

I was 17 and nervous but we had some right lumps

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I was on one of those specials, that's exactly how I remembered it, I was 17, the most terrifying away trip I'd been on. I remember trying to practice saying 'I'm from Harrogate' in a Yorkshire accent all the way back to the station
    I tried to say I was from Dewsbury but it did not work. Luckily the first punch made blood spurt from my nose and that combined with a couple of boots meant they were satisfied so I got away lightly compared to many others. There was a lot of walking wounded City fans back at Leeds station after the game.

Bricks coming from a knocked down row of houses on our right going towards the ground if I remember. Hundreds of 'em. Almost expected Ivor Emmanuel to pop up and start singing 'Men of Harlech'...

I am old enough to remember the amazing sequence of Leeds vs Cardiff 3rd. round cup ties in the 1950's.Three years in a row starting in 1955-56 season the third round draw came out Leeds vs. Cardiff.Each time Cardiff won 2-1,i went to the third one.Does anyone else remember those games?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    I am old enough to remember the amazing sequence of Leeds vs Cardiff 3rd. round cup ties in the 1950's.Three years in a row starting in 1955-56 season the third round draw came out Leeds vs. Cardiff.Each time Cardiff won 2-1,i went to the third one.Does anyone else remember those games?
    I wasn't born

Were Leeds seen as a big club then?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Yes, I was on one of those specials as well. I vividly remember groups of Leeds fan listening out for Welsh accents. Thankfully, I had travelled up with my neighbour who hailed from Manchester. Whenever we were approached he would speak with a broad accent.

Went by coach and missed most of the carnage but a few friends, including the OP as he stated, took a hiding on the train.

As we pulled up outside the ground quite early a copper got on the coach. His little welcome went along the lines of:

" See that there... that's the Gelderd End, go anywhere near there tha'll get battered. Oh, and don't go into town, tha'll get battered.

We made it as far as a cafe about half a mile away. Approached by some lads asking the time. Mutely I raised my hand and showed them my watch. Bizarrely this seemed to remove any suspicions they had of us. Scary place then nevertheless.

I went to that one with my dad. Can't remember any trouble on the way to the ground,but do remember being treated like cattle outside the train station on the way back. If I recall correctly there was no refreshment car on the way back.

We were ok until late in the first half when Leeds decided to play and banged wo goals in quick succession.

They then scored 2 quick goals in the second half and then they coasted for the rest of the game.

Jack Whitham scored a disallowed goal in the first half. I think you may be right about Showers scoring our consolation late on.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I wasn't born

Were Leeds seen as a big club then?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    No
    Leeds were solid second division for much of the fifties like Liverpool, though they were in the lower reaches of the first division at the end of the fifties.

Leeds did not take off until Don Revie took over in 1961. They used to play in blue and yellow until Revie changed them to white, which is why so many of their fans colours are so blue and yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Leeds were solid second division for much of the fifties like Liverpool, though they were in the lower reaches of the first division at the end of the fifties.

Leeds did not take off until Don Revie took over in 1961. They used to play in blue and yellow until Revie changed them to white, which is why so many of their fans colours are so blue and yellow.
    I thought as much

My old man talked about the big clubs being wolves , Blackpool, pne when he was young