+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mick McCarthy taking over at Blackpool?

Re: Mick McCarthy taking over at Blackpool?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    But will they give Big Mick a two-year contract extension before the end of the season?
    Probably, if his agent starts some rumours about Celtic being interested.

Mick's record after 30 games: P30 W14 D11 L5 W%46.67% PPG 1.77
    Mick's record after 38 games: P38 W14 D11 L13 W%36.8% PPG 1.39

It is absolutely remarkable how bad it went at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I’ve never seen a manager fall apart like that, it was almost like he wanted to be sacked. Such odd decisions week after week.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    In the short term he was great.

I'm convinced he wanted out here and I don't think he'd lost his marbles.

Short term for Blackpool he will probably improve them. Longer term possibly will see Madine at cb.
    I think many of his selections, especially late on were a pi$$ take out of our owners 'advice' shall we say.

it's not a total surprise, there was a massive cost cutting exercise at the end of his first season, and the lingerers in the squad from warnocks days on high wages made it even more difficult to use the remaining budget well.
    we went from having one of the biggest footballing budgets in the division to one of the smallest effectively

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's not a total surprise, there was a massive cost cutting exercise at the end of his first season, and the lingerers in the squad from warnocks days on high wages made it even more difficult to use the remaining budget well.
    we went from having one of the biggest footballing budgets in the division to one of the smallest effectively
    We went 8th in September, with 11 points from 6 games, that's nearly 2 points a game. We didn't even start badly. For it to go so badly wrong, so quickly was incredible. In fairness to Mick, he wasn't afraid to chuck the kids in. Bowen, Bagan, Colwill, Davies, Sang and Evans all played under him.

We went 8th in September, with 11 points from 6 games, that's nearly 2 points a game. We didn't even start badly. For it to go so badly wrong, so quickly was incredible. In fairness to Mick, he wasn't afraid to chuck the kids in. Bowen, Bagan, Colwill, Davies, Sang and Evans all played under him.
    we didn't start badly but Aden flint was scoring all of our goals - that isn't something you can rely on for longer than a few games so we were always likely to drop away.
    yes Mick wasn't afraid to put the kids in, and in the longer term it's one of the only ways we will be able to bridge the gap back to the teams with money in this league

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Amazing how some clubs can sack their manager one day and appoint a replacement the next though.
    This is it, we can laugh but i'm now seriously worried Whitehead will be the new boss until the end of the season. I think Mick will get a short tune out of Blackpool, might not be enough to save them but it's only 6 points between them and Bristol, 20 games to go.

Have Blackpool got 5 centre backs ?

Everyone taking the piss of this appointment are forgetting that MM will get Blackpool playing direct but effective football and they have the players to respond to it. Madine up front will be continuously concussed, but will score goals.

He was pathetic for city overall - but he kept us up and in fact has done so with most other teams he has managed.

We should be worried about our own managerial issues not Blackpools.

He chucked the kids into a dreadful side playing route 1 football with a star striker who was effectively on strike. I think that hindered their progress.

However, watch him grind out ugly results for Blackpool with dirty direct football.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    He chucked the kids into a dreadful side playing route 1 football with a star striker who was effectively on strike. I think that hindered their progress.

However, watch him grind out ugly results for Blackpool with dirty direct football.
    He chucked the kids in out of necessity and because Tan wanted him to.

I'm sure he would have preferred proven, experienced players being brought in than throwing kids in, many of them that were not ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    He chucked the kids in out of necessity and because Tan wanted him to.

I'm sure he would have preferred proven, experienced players being brought in than throwing kids in, many of them that were not ready yet.
    I don't disagree - it all stinks of a clueless board.

My point is that MM won't do as badly at Blackpool as he did with us.