+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Way To Run A Club.

The Way To Run A Club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/64303754

City could to a leaf out of this, maybe a bit late in the day though.

Re: The Way To Run A Club.

There is a decent short doc type video on Freiburg's trip to the DFB Pokal Final v RB Leipzig on YouTube for those interested.

https://youtu.be/6u_vVfcM9ZI

They seem to get football and what it means to fans that much more in Germany. The 50 plus 1 rule helps that a lot as decisions don't get made unless the fans are on board with them.

They seem to treat fans like adults there too. You want a pint while watching the game and you can have one. Great atmospheres. Monchengladbach even built a beer garden for its fans behind one end with the money they made from a season in the Europa League.

Oh for that at City at the moment at a club that seems to have sold its soul for two failed years in the Premier League and a shell remains. The captain of the ship is blind heading for giant icebergs but nobody dare question if he knows what he is doing.

Mönchengladbach have a great sports bar which serves superb food that is very cheap and their club shop makes ours look like an old style Lidl.
    We went to the city twice over the holidays and used their sports bar on both occasions for lunch.

Fecking Germans

Bombed our chippy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Fecking Germans

Bombed our chippy
    It's time to let it go. Holding grudges will only upset you.
    And I expect the British hit a few of their sauerkraut and schnitzel shops

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Fecking Germans

Bombed our chippy
    That was Hitler's mob. If Oswald Mosley had got a bit more support here it might have been similar here too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Mönchengladbach have a great sports bar which serves superb food that is very cheap and their club shop makes ours look like an old style Lidl.
    We went to the city twice over the holidays and used their sports bar on both occasions for lunch.
    Do you mean their Fanhaus or another sports bar.

Looking to take in a game soon that's all.

You only need to watch any game involving a German side and compare it to a British game to see the huge difference. The intensity, passion and innovation of their support is breathtaking. Our games are like a visit to a local library in comparison. It makes for an exciting occasion.

Having first seen Gladbach on a visit to Germany play in 1976 and subsequently watching them very occasionally since (and after living not a million miles away for a while), they are my German team of choice.

A few years ago, I took some mates over to Germany and bought 4 tickets over the internet. Not only were the tickets very cheap but €1 was the only add-on to the face value even though they were sent by post. None of this Admin Fee, Booking Fee and all the other fees that are added on over here. Oh, and the ticket included public transport to the game from anywhere in the region. The food and beer were not rip-off prices at the ground either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You only need to watch any game involving a German side and compare it to a British game to see the huge difference. The intensity, passion and innovation of their support is breathtaking. Our games are like a visit to a local library in comparison. It makes for an exciting occasion.
    Football for me is the fans.

If you think of all your best times watching the City I can almost guarantee it was when the fans were fully behind the club and there was that intangible buzz about the place that you can't put your finger on.

German clubs seem to nail that and continue to. A lot of it to do with communication with the fans and fan groups. Something our lot could learn from I can say.

German football should be the model for us all. I've always been a big German football fan and still try to buy a magazine called the 'Kicker Sonderheft' each summer which previews the season.

The good things about the German football model are well known. It is worth stating that it is in something of a crisis at the moment due to the dominance of Bayern Munich who have won the league 10 years in a row now, and all set for an eleventh.

For context the ten years before that, five different teams won the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    German football should be the model for us all. I've always been a big German football fan and still try to buy a magazine called the 'Kicker Sonderheft' each summer which previews the season.

The good things about the German football model are well known. It is worth stating that it is in something of a crisis at the moment due to the dominance of Bayern Munich who have won the league 10 years in a row now, and all set for an eleventh.

For context the ten years before that, five different teams won the league.
    Bayern seem to have 50+1 but somehow get more money into the club through other channels.
    They also seem to buy the stars of any team that comes close to challenging too. It will be a very difficult task to knock them off their perch now.

From the point of view of City though, how much better would it be here if the club consulted fans or fan groups before making the big decisions, the Trust for example. I'm almost certain half of the decisions that have upset fans would have been rethought if they had touched base with fans. They just push on regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Do you mean their Fanhaus or another sports bar.

Looking to take in a game soon that's all.
    It might’ve been. It’s the one opposite the club shop and next to their reception, where the trophies are. The food is really lovely and so cheap.

My visits actually set off a bit of envy. They have all that space around the club with lots of parking, a training ground, a hotel and a second smaller stadium. It just feels exactly how I’d want people to feel when visiting Cardiff City.
    It got me thinking that it would be amazing if that horrible Leckwith retail park could be flattened and converted in the same way. I’d also like to see our stadium refurbished, as I think it’s looking a bit ratty.
    We could make Leckwith stadium into a proper secondary stadium and life would be perfect.
    Imagine having an affordable, but excellent restaurant that even non-football people would eat at!
    Okay, back to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Having first seen Gladbach on a visit to Germany play in 1976 and subsequently watching them very occasionally since (and after living not a million miles away for a while), they are my German team of choice.

A few years ago, I took some mates over to Germany and bought 4 tickets over the internet. Not only were the tickets very cheap but €1 was the only add-on to the face value even though they were sent by post. None of this Admin Fee, Booking Fee and all the other fees that are added on over here. Oh, and the ticket included public transport to the game from anywhere in the region. The food and beer were not rip-off prices at the ground either.
    Say what you want for WWII and true, we might all have been speaking German, but at least we could have had a bevvy watching the football!

It might’ve been. It’s the one opposite the club shop and next to their reception, where the trophies are. The food is really lovely and so cheap.

My visits actually set off a bit of envy. They have all that space around the club with lots of parking, a training ground, a hotel and a second smaller stadium. It just feels exactly how I’d want people to feel when visiting Cardiff City.
    It got me thinking that it would be amazing if that horrible Leckwith retail park could be flattened and converted in the same way. I’d also like to see our stadium refurbished, as I think it’s looking a bit ratty.
    We could make Leckwith stadium into a proper secondary stadium and life would be perfect.
    Imagine having an affordable, but excellent restaurant that even non-football people would eat at!
    Okay, back to the real world.
    Yeah. Sounds like the Fanhaus.

Hopefully be there in the very near future.

I feel the same way as you though. Some of the things that positively impact the matchday experience seem so simple yet beyond us.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Say what you want for WWII and true, we might all have been speaking German, but at least we could have had a bevvy watching the football!
    I'm not sure the British are on much of a high ground to point fingers where wars for land and dominance are discussed.