+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a well run club?

Re: What is a well run club?

Palace. Southampton.

Swansea City

Allowances do need to be made. If it were Brentford or Brighton that this had happened to, would their fans be so quick to rush to judgment about the way the board of their clubs had handled the situation? The answer is no.
    Absolutely no. Unfortunately internet message boards whip up hysteria and realities become blurred. Have VT and his supporting cast made an utter mess? Yes. Have they been utterly undignified regards Sala? Not that I can see. Especially in a situation that is pretty much unprecedented and one in which the club must be guided by lawyers. I certainly would not have wanted to pay out without understanding how I became an unwilling victim in this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Allowances do need to be made. If it were Brentford or Brighton that this had happened to, would their fans be so quick to rush to judgment about the way the board of their clubs had handled the situation? The answer is no.
    Absolutely no. Unfortunately internet message boards whip up hysteria and realities become blurred. Have VT and his supporting cast made an utter mess? Yes. Have they been utterly undignified regards Sala? Not that I can see. Especially in a situation that is pretty much unprecedented and one in which the club must be guided by lawyers. I certainly would not have wanted to pay out without understanding how I became an unwilling victim in this tragedy.
    Brighton fans were extremely volatile and proactive in their opposition to a chairman that left them playing on a school field

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Brighton fans were extremely volatile and proactive in their opposition to a chairman that left them playing on a school field
    Apparently £450 million in debt arent they? I can’t work out how mind

Yes but that was a long time ago. I know two Brighton season ticket holders and they adore everything about their club

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Have VT and his supporting cast made an utter mess? Yes. Have they been utterly undignified regards Sala? Not that I can see.
    I reckon that a football club denying it had signed a player following his death, having previously publicly announced his signing on its own website was somewhat undignified.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I reckon that a football club denying it had signed a player following his death, having previously publicly announced his signing on its own website was somewhat undignified.
    Not to mention trying to insure him after the plane vanished. Denied by the club, of course.....

More on Brighton: how they make use of sister clubs to loan out players they’ve acquired, so there’s a production line of talent.
    Have we ever lent players to Kortrijk or Sarajevo for their development?
    The only transaction I can think of is when Kortrijk bought Zohar’s, then loaned him to us to get around avtransfer embargo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64403578

One that puts the best and most knowledgable people it can afford in positions that make a big difference at the club.

They get the most they can from the academy, their scouts, new signings, existing squad and manager where possible.

They learn from mistakes. They do not repeat them or compound a bad decision with another. They make shrewd and clever decisions where possible. Learning from clubs who have gone in the direction they need to go in previously.

They run the club sustainably and if they are hemorrhaging money look at the reasons for this and stem that flow where possible rather than continuing to blindly pay it and think this is just the way it is.

They take money from fans who want to spend money. They make sure the website for tickets, merchandise and information regarding all of this is as good as it can be and take money if fans want to spend it.

Most of all they realise a club is nothing without fans and communicate with them at every step of the journey.

I would add that well run clubs have a common goal or ethos that most at that club buy into.

They take action in pursuit of this goal rather than being reactionary to any crisis that may arise from lack of planning or knowledge.

They also listen to fans more than anything.
    What business can survive by not listening to the people that pay their money, in effect the customers? Not many.

Obviously very early and big fish in a small pond so far, but Wrexham are doing everything the right way to this point.

Building bridges with the fans and respecting the clubs history
    Experienced knowledgeable CEO in charge of football affairs making the day to day decisions
    Picking a manager based on experience and philosophy and sticking with him even when fans are restless or immediate success isn’t achieved
    Investment in the club in terms of infrastructure and development
    Willing to get the checkbook out when the manager and scouting staff deem it wise

Some of those Tan has done in the past to him to be fair, but he’s failed miserably on a number of them as well and I’d argue the most important ones he missed from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Obviously very early and big fish in a small pond so far, but Wrexham are doing everything the right way to this point.

Building bridges with the fans and respecting the clubs history
    Experienced knowledgeable CEO in charge of football affairs making the day to day decisions
    Picking a manager based on experience and philosophy and sticking with him even when fans are restless or immediate success isn’t achieved
    Investment in the club in terms of infrastructure and development
    Willing to get the checkbook out when the manager and scouting staff deem it wise

Some of those Tan has done in the past to him to be fair, but he’s failed miserably on a number of them as well and I’d argue the most important ones he missed from the start.
    I think it is all about understanding and attitude.

I watched the first few episodes of 'Welcome to Wrexham' last night and they respect the fans, their tradition and work with them rather than doing what they like with no real rhyme or reason to it.

It is a world away from what is happening here.
    The fans, from one crisis to another, seem as in the dark as ever as to what is going on. If anything the lack of communication has got worse, if that is even possible.

Look at the Kaba situation as a typical example of people not knowing what is going on, including our new manager it seems.

I concur. That programme is a real eye opener.
    It’s also frustrating, because they make it look relatively easy, so why can’t our owner do this?
    He should be forced to watch an episode.