+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Based on yesterday, I think we'll stay up

Based on yesterday, I think we'll stay up

It'll be tight and it won't be pretty but I think we just about have enough to survive.

We conceded a shockingly poor goal and due to a mistake from the usually solid Kipre. Apart from that we limited Millwall, who are playoff candidates, to only a handful of chances.

McGuinness looked like a top end Championship defender and his performance yesterday was hugely encouraging. He is head and shoulders above Nelson and Simpson.

Our attack had more chances that our last 3 or 4 league games combined and whilst we're still not converting those chances, there was a big improvement from our performances on Boxing Day and away to Coventry. We could've played another 90 minutes in those games and still not scored. Yesterday it felt unlucky that we didn't score.

Keep the faith

Re: Based on yesterday, I think we'll stay up

I like the positivity but we didn’t create any clear cut chances and I felt like we could play for another week and not score

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    It'll be tight and it won't be pretty but I think we just about have enough to survive.

We conceded a shockingly poor goal and due to a mistake from the usually solid Kipre. Apart from that we limited Millwall, who are playoff candidates, to only a handful of chances.

McGuinness looked like a top end Championship defender and his performance yesterday was hugely encouraging. He is head and shoulders above Nelson and Simpson.

Our attack had more chances that our last 3 or 4 league games combined and whilst we're still not converting those chances, there was a big improvement from our performances on Boxing Day and away to Coventry. We could've played another 90 minutes in those games and still not scored. Yesterday it felt unlucky that we didn't score.

Keep the faith
    On the Whiskey’s early I see !

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I like the positivity but we didn’t create any clear cut chances and I felt like we could play for another week and not score
    I agree it did seem a better display but it’s all relative. Teams don’t have to do much to beat us these days.
    Thought Allsop was just as culpable for their goal. I like Kipre but his actions for the Wigan goal in leaving his marker in the six yard box - albeit the last of a long list of mistakes by the whole side in conceding that late goal - goes to show there are costly mistakes in all our side on a weekly basis. The quality just isn’t there.

I'm not saying it's a game we should've won 4-0 but compared to recent weeks there were more definite chances. In the first half O'Dowda hit the post and Robinson put Philogene where he took a touch instead of shooting first time. In the second half Robinson put it just wide after a good 1 2 with Etete on the edge of the box. And Ojo had 2 good crosses to him, one he mishit and the other he headed over.

Defensively we've been okay this season, 14 teams have conceded more than us and we're 10th for clean sheets. Typically we lose games by a single goal or throw away a 1-0 lead. McGuinness coming back is only going to help improve our defence. Typically we only need to score a goal to get a result and that looked more likely yesterday that it has in weeks.

I also think our performance yesterday looked a lot better than how Blackpool and Wigan looked when they came to us recently and if they continue like that I expect them to start drifting from safety. I think by the end of Feb the relegation battle will be "who takes the final spot"

I'm not saying it's a game we should've won 4-0 but compared to recent weeks there were more definite chances. In the first half O'Dowda hit the post and Robinson put Philogene where he took a touch instead of shooting first time. In the second half Robinson put it just wide after a good 1 2 with Etete on the edge of the box. And Ojo had 2 good crosses to him, one he mishit and the other he headed over.

Defensively we've been okay this season, 14 teams have conceded more than us and we're 10th for clean sheets. Typically we lose games by a single goal or throw away a 1-0 lead. McGuinness coming back is only going to help improve our defence. Typically we only need to score a goal to get a result and that looked more likely yesterday that it has in weeks.

I also think our performance yesterday looked a lot better than how Blackpool and Wigan looked when they came to us recently and if they continue like that I expect them to start drifting from safety. I think by the end of Feb the relegation battle will be "who takes the final spot"
    Missing that two on one chance (not even getting a shot on target) was criminal. Two of our better players too which is most concerning.

Keep the faith
    I agree with you to the extent that we lost to a supposedly good team by giving away one soft goal, but the problem is we just can't score. Having said that, Millwall have only conceded 27 goals over 27 games. So who knows? But I definitely thought yesterday was a slight improvement over recent games.

Our 'problem' - assuming it can be summarized as one single thing - is taking chances that come our way. If we had converted our fair share this season, even allowing for games when we hardly created anything, I'm sure we would be 9 or 10 points better off. Trouble is, this has been a season-long weakness, and it's not going to be solved by bringing in a good 'No9'. Nowadays chances fall to players throughout the team - yesterday Ojo, Philogene missed easy chances - how you get the whole team to be more composed in front of goal God knows..

No chance of getting enough wins ....at least 6 .....with poor management and this team

Need 4 or 5 new faces at least and a tracksuit manager or we will go down

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I agree with you to the extent that we lost to a supposedly good team by giving away one soft goal, but the problem is we just can't score. Having said that, Millwall have only conceded 27 goals over 27 games. So who knows? But I definitely thought yesterday was a slight improvement over recent games.
    As I said, it'll be tight. But our shocking performances have kept us out of the relegation zone all season, a slight improvement should be enough to keep it that way.

As I said, it'll be tight. But our shocking performances have kept us out of the relegation zone all season, a slight improvement should be enough to keep it that way.
    I agree....even bad teams usually pick up a couple of wins...and we are not THAT worse than other teams. On the law averages it will come.....easy to say but it is all about confidence and belief......motivation.....a leader is needed, on and off the pitch.

I'm not saying it's a game we should've won 4-0 but compared to recent weeks there were more definite chances. In the first half O'Dowda hit the post.....
    Did he? I don't remember that and it wasn't on the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Did he? I don't remember that and it wasn't on the highlights.
    I thought he did. It was about halfway through the first half. I was in the Canton though so might not have seen it properly.

Keep the faith
    Got some far tougher games than we’ve had coming up

I thought he did. It was about halfway through the first half. I was in the Canton though so might not have seen it properly.
    Side netting I thought

Side netting I thought
    Which netting, ours or theirs?

Don't think so. Don't remember O'Dowda having a shot that came especially close and there's nothing on any of the highlight packages I've seen, including Sky's 15-minute job.

I thought the fact that City failed to produce a meaningful save from the Millwall keeper yesterday was telling. The side is so feeble in attack it's embarrassing. However, if the club can find a striker worthy of the description, they start playing O'Dowda further forward and confidence begins to return to the side, then all is not lost by any means. The fact that City have been as poor as they have but still haven't been in the relegation zone tells its own story about the quality of the Championship this season.

City can stay up if we sign a left back, a creative midfielder and a striker (ideally 2). I'll take a winger and another CM, too, but the first 3/4 are an absolute necessity.

Then you've got to decide where to play Robinson (either up front with a partner, or off the left), O'Dowda on the wing and whether you play the new CM in the middle, presumably alongside Wintle, or in behind the new striker. The league this year is God awful. We haven't scored in about half our games and we're still 3 points outside the drop and in touch with other sides.

If they don't manage to bring in at least 2 new players, this side is going down. There is no way on Earth they'll score enough goals. They don't create from the middle, the strikers aren't clinical and you can't go long.

I think it's not so much down to us . it's how the other results come in that will decide our fate

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I think it's not so much down to us . it's how the other results come in that will decide our fate
    I can’t speak for Rotherham or Huddersfield but I think Wigan and Blackpool look worse than we did yesterday. For the final spot we think it’ll be between us, Huddersfield, Rotherham and possibly Birmingham and Stoke based on their form.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No chance of getting enough wins ....at least 6 .....
    7 wins from 28 games so far. We need at least 6 wins from the remaining 18 games, tough task.

do we really need 6 wins ? ?

we need to win 2 more than Hudds, 1 more than Blackpool and Rotherham and can even have 1 less than Wigan

then we are safe

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    7 wins from 28 games so far. We need at least 6 wins from the remaining 18 games, tough task.
    Get a new manager in and a handful of new faces and we have a chance

But not with Whitehead and this lot

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    do we really need 6 wins ? ?

we need to win 2 more than Hudds, 1 more than Blackpool and Rotherham and can even have 1 less than Wigan

then we are safe
    Huddersfield are on a point a game, so if parity remains, 46 points. Based solely on extrapolation we need 18 points from games.

Millwall took the lead pretty early against a side they knew don’t score goals often.

It’s hard to take too much positivity away as they may not have got into 3rd gear