+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 11 games without a win

11 games without a win

By my calculations including the FA Cup it's 11 winless games. Anyone know when we had a longer winless run than that?

I doubled checked and last season (when we lost 8 in a row) we went on a 10 game winless run.

Must be a decade at least? 15 years?

Re: 11 games without a win

I can remember 1980-1. 10 league games and a FA Cup defeat at Leicester making 11 in a row. We actually stayed up thanks to Richie Morgan, finishing 19th but it was a grim December and January....

I was just 20!

We went 9 without a win at the start of the last PL season. 10 if you include the draw in the final game of the promotion season.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    By my calculations including the FA Cup it's 11 winless games. Anyone know when we had a longer winless run than that?

I doubled checked and last season (when we lost 8 in a row) we went on a 10 game winless run.

Eric will know

1999-2000 13 league games without a win. Won on 26 December 1999 and next was 17 March 2000. Second Division which was Tier 3 then. Relegation to the dungeon at the end of the season.

The last time we went on a winless run this long was in the 2006/07 season. We failed to win in 13 league and cup games and failed to score in 10 of them. This run was something of a surprise. We were 3 points clear at the top of the table at the time and were the division's top scorers, having scored 31 in 17 games, failing to score in only 1 league match. After the run of 13 without a win, we would win 6 of the next 9, before winning 2 points in our final 9 matches.

This is the 17th time we've gone on a run of 11 without a win. We've managed 12 without a win on 10 occasions, 13 without a win on 7 occasions, 14 without a win 4 times and 15 without a win on 1 occasion.

That run of 15 without a win was in the 1961/62 season. We'd beaten Villa at home on Boxing day, then managed 5 draws and 10 defeats. We were 12th after that win against Villa (quite incredible to think that the First Division table on Christmas day was Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea!). Amzingly after that record breaking run we weren't bottom of the table. Somehow successive wins were obtained at home to Birmingham and West Ham to put us level with Fulham with 2 games to go, but Fulham beat Man Utd at home while we lost 8-3 at Everton to virtually send us down on goal average.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    1999-2000 13 league games without a win. Won on 26 December 1999 and next was 17 March 2000. Second Division which was Tier 3 then. Relegation to the dungeon at the end of the season.
    And that's the 2nd longest run of league games without a win in our history.

Ah 2006/7 I remember that collapse but don't remember it being so severe. I recollect that the Birmingham home game in the sept was the first home league sell out for years.

Thanks for very comprehensive reply.

Ah 2006/7 I remember that collapse but don't remember it being so severe. I recollect that the Birmingham home game in the sept was the first home league sell out for years.

Thanks for very comprehensive reply.
    We played some of the best stuff I've ever seen in those opening months, we took teams apart almost weekly, then we were just terrible.

For a bonus point, who scored the winner for us when we did finally manage a win, away to Wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We played some of the best stuff I've ever seen in those opening months, we took teams apart almost weekly, then we were just terrible.

For a bonus point, who scored the winner for us when we did finally manage a win, away to Wolves?
    The Irish player Byrne we signed from an Irish League side I think (Bohemians?)

Was a scrambled close range effort maybe? I feel like away fans were banned?

Jason Byrne

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5386058]The last time we went on a winless run this long was in the 2006/07 season. We failed to win in 13 league and cup games and failed to score in 10 of them. This run was something of a surprise. We were 3 points clear at the top of the table at the time and were the division's top scorers, having scored 31 in 17 games, failing to score in only 1 league match. After the run of 13 without a win, we would win 6 of the next 9, before winning 2 points in our final 9 matches.

I remember this collapse but also don't remember it being quite as bad as it was!
    I think what makes this particular run we're on feel all the worse and longer is the feeling we are going from one mistake to another, and there doesn't seem like a lot of hope around the club

The Irish player Byrne we signed from an Irish League side I think (Bohemians?)

Was a scrambled close range effort maybe? I feel like away fans were banned?
    That was the guy.

Also, in reply to you and Superfeathers comment about it not feeling so bad at the time, when we did manage that win at Wolves we were back in the top 6. Of the 11 league games played during that run we drew 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The last time we went on a winless run this long was in the 2006/07 season. We failed to win in 13 league and cup games and failed to score in 10 of them. This run was something of a surprise. We were 3 points clear at the top of the table at the time and were the division's top scorers, having scored 31 in 17 games, failing to score in only 1 league match. After the run of 13 without a win, we would win 6 of the next 9, before winning 2 points in our final 9 matches.
    That's the epitome of blowing hot and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    I can remember 1980-1. 10 league games and a FA Cup defeat at Leicester making 11 in a row. We actually stayed up thanks to Richie Morgan, finishing 19th but it was a grim December and January....

I was just 20!
    Happy days!!