+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Failed Managers always in demand-Why

Failed Managers always in demand-Why

They are failures, that’s why they got the sack and are now in the dole queue. Then why are these sort of managers always wanted by other clubs ? Dean Smith the latest one to be linked with mission impossible just off Leckwith Road. I just don’t understand. It’s the same or even worse in the Premier League. The merry go round at that level goes beyond, as far as I can see.
    Would you employ a failure ? I wouldn’t.

Re: Failed Managers always in demand-Why

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    They are failures, that’s why they got the sack and are now in the dole queue. Then why are these sort of managers always wanted by other clubs ? Dean Smith the latest one to be linked with mission impossible just off Leckwith Road. I just don’t understand. It’s the same or even worse in the Premier League. The merry go round at that level goes beyond, as far as I can see.
    I think that even the most successful managers will have failed somewhere. Learning and development.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    I think that even the most successful managers will have failed somewhere. Learning and development.
    It’s a very short list of “only” successful managers. Eddie Howe failed dismally at Burnley but now at Newcastle?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a very short list of “only” successful managers. Eddie Howe failed dismally at Burnley but now at Newcastle?
    And Brendan Rogers failed at Reading but hasn't done too badly at Swansea and Leicester!!

define failed manager.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    define failed manager.
    Frank Lampard.

Everyone we could get has been sacked. Managers that don’t get sacked end up at super clubs. Heck, Ancelotti has been sacked

Why haven’t we got a Merry Go Round emoji?

It’s a Merry Go Round..

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Fergie was failing at United. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Everyone we could get has been sacked. Managers that don’t get sacked end up at super clubs. Heck, Ancelotti has been sacked
    I bought his book on the weekend, Quiet Leadership. The reasoning was for work, but as a football fan it's also of interest anyway.. only had a glance at it not has time to read it yet.

Didn't Dean Smith take a rock bottom Walsall ( by some distance) to safety, and following seasons kept them around the play-offs? Same Smith then moving on to a fairly steady few years at Brentford before leading Aston Villa to promotion. I'm surprised he even shows his face in the public the loser!

In a similar vein, fans sometimes clamour for the return of a manager or player even though they were sacked or released originally because they weren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Frank Lampard.
    Lampards mistake was jumping into bigger jobs without the necessary grounding in management that a few years in the lower league's would have given him.
    As a top class player there's no guarantee that will make you a top class manager as we've seen time and time again.
    He might still turn out to be a half decent manager, if that what he wants to do, but the best way of learning any trade is by starting at the bottom and working your way up, whilst gaining the right experience on the way.

International

When I lived in the NE of England there was a similar merry-go-round of Working Mens Club Stewards.
    One would get sacked, usually because of some "Accounting discrepancy", and the next thing you'd know is that he'd appear at the club down the road. I went on all the time.
    I could never understand it either

I think I asked the question on here a few years ago. What makes a successful manager? Is it tactical acumen, man management, a mixture of both, good luck or something indefinable? I still don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Why haven’t we got a Merry Go Round emoji?

It’s a Merry Go Round..
    and a matter of swings and roundabouts.

They are failures, that’s why they got the sack and are now in the dole queue. Then why are these sort of managers always wanted by other clubs?
    In most cases it’s ability and experience.

For example, a manager named Neil Warnock has plenty of failures and sackings on his CV, but he also has plenty of successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In a similar vein, fans sometimes clamour for the return of a manager or player even though they were sacked or released originally because they weren't good enough.
    Or for player dropped from the first team to return when the team continues to do poorly.

Depends on the failure.

It's unlikely you will have managers never fail somewhere.

It could be looked at as an experience from which they could learn and develop.

The nature of the sport though, they could be manager of the year and sacked by the following Christmas.

I agree some seem to be picked up time and again. It's all nepotism.

It's mostly because the failed managers are out of work and available. There's no contract to buy them out of.

It's this sort of thinking that got us Morison and Hudson
    Please remove this

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    and a matter of swings and roundabouts.
    Horses for courses.