+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our new manager: Clever politics behind it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Our new manager: Clever politics behind it?

The timing and delays of the selection of the next coach is quote frankly laughable.

Knowing the lack of budget, lack of results of the prior manager and the knowledge that we need to improve the squad by January, the fact that we are at end of January with no selected replacement shows a lack of management skills and planning. There were two simple ways of approaching this situation:

1. One option, the clever one, was to approach a short list of coaches in advance. Better still, as Swansea do, have an ongoing radar of players and coaches that suit you. When adverse events happen you reach for your shortlist. Quickly and efficienltly. You start discussions end of November to sound people out. Decide by end December who it is. If existing manager is deemed to have failed by end of December then you move quickly. Sack. Replace ruthlessly. Use January to recruit with a full month of dealings possible. It’s called good risk management and resource management. All commercial people of good standing should be familiar with these simple concepts.

2. Or, you leave it late. Recruit late at mid / end of Jan, scurry around in a flap. Reach end of month. All the juicy means available for loan or tranfer have gone. You are left to sign dregs that others did not want. Either this approach shows a total lack of planning competence. Or it shows “clever” politics by Tan/Choo/Dalman - that they wish to sign a coach as cheaply as possible, deliberately leaving him little time to deal in the market. Cheap coach, cheap players. And with it, continue to carry the risk if a poor coaching environment and a low performing squad. The natural result being a not so golden hello with the relegation monster and his minions at the trap door of the said League One dungeon.

It either points to gross incompetence on planning of the timing / cycle of the sacking replacement. Or it is what is an attempt at “clever” politics. If it is the former, then it is high time they left the building. If it is the latter, then whoever is approaching itthis way (Dalman, Choo or Vinny T) has assumed that the new coach, fans and journalists are stupid - which shows how arrogant, un-streetwise, and stupid these “clever” people really are.

Re: Our new manager: Clever politics behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    The timing and delays of the selection of the next coach is quote frankly laughable.

Knowing the lack of budget, lack of results of the prior manager and the knowledge that we need to improve the squad by January, the fact that we are at end of January with no selected replacement shows a lack of management skills and planning. There were two simple ways of approaching this situation:

1. One option, the clever one, was to approach a short list of coaches in advance. Better still, as Swansea do, have an ongoing radar of players and coaches that suit you. When adverse events happen you reach for your shortlist. Quickly and efficienltly. You start discussions end of November to sound people out. Decide by end December who it is. If existing manager is deemed to have failed by end of December then you move quickly. Sack. Replace ruthlessly. Use January to recruit with a full month of dealings possible. It’s called good risk management and resource management. All commercial people of good standing should be familiar with these simple concepts.

2. Or, you leave it late. Recruit late at mid / end of Jan, scurry around in a flap. Reach end of month. All the juicy means available for loan or tranfer have gone. You are left to sign dregs that others did not want. Either this approach shows a total lack of planning competence. Or it shows “clever” politics by Tan/Choo/Dalman - that they wish to sign a coach as cheaply as possible, deliberately leaving him little time to deal in the market. Cheap coach, cheap players. And with it, continue to carry the risk if a poor coaching environment and a low performing squad. The natural result being a not so golden hello with the relegation monster and his minions at the trap door of the said League One dungeon.

It either points to gross incompetence on planning of the timing / cycle of the sacking replacement. Or it is what is an attempt at “clever” politics. If it is the former, then it is high time they left the building. If it is the latter, then whoever is approaching itthis way (Dalman, Choo or Vinny T) has assumed that the new coach, fans and journalists are stupid - which shows how arrogant, un-streetwise, and stupid these “clever” people really are.
    Second option was what I was getting at when I predicted they would hold on to Hudson until very late in the day to spend as little as possible with the new guy (through wages on new signings). As it turns out they're just dragging it out with Whitehead as caretaker or, God forbid, they give it to Whitehead based on literally nothing but a random selection at Leeds and a poor showing against Millwall.

There is incompetence and then what is going on at this club. Embarrassing.

This much we know

But unless Tan sells the club this is what we have

More and more people are voting with their feet , its all you can do

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This much we know

But unless Tan sells the club this is what we have

More and more people are voting with their feet , its all you can do
    FFs don't let Mike Pillow get a whiff of this.

I wonder if Vincent Tan is this reactive when appointing senior people at his other business interests.

I do sometimes think the whole thing has to be deliberate - no-one experienced in running a business can seriously be acting the way Tan is, towards his own investment. It's as if he genuinely wants it to fail, and it beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I do sometimes think the whole thing has to be deliberate - no-one experienced in running a business can seriously be acting the way Tan is, towards his own investment. It's as if he genuinely wants it to fail, and it beggars belief.
    Revenge for the red reversal!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I think the exact opposite.

For this to be deliberate Vincent Tan and his inner circle would have to have a plan.

I don’t think they have any sort of plan - or only the vaguest possible type of plan: reduce the wage bill, recruit from within (players but that now extends to managers), somehow play more progressive and exciting football, and the big one ‘be lucky’!

The seems to be complete drift, a disconnect between the manager and coaches, the board and the owner. The Chief Exec is part time and based away from Cardiff. The Chairman is now non-exec, ignorant about the manager and recruitment plans, and based in Monaco. There is no communication. To return to a popular theme on the Sludge board, this looks to me like monumental cock up (incompetence, inertia and delusion) not conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think the exact opposite.

For this to be deliberate Vincent Tan and his inner circle would have to have a plan.

I don’t think they have any sort of plan - or only the vaguest possible type of plan: reduce the wage bill, recruit from within (players but that now extends to managers), somehow play more progressive and exciting football, and the big one ‘be lucky’!

The seems to be complete drift, a disconnect between the manager and coaches, the board and the owner. The Chief Exec is part time and based away from Cardiff. The Chairman is now non-exec, ignorant about the manager and recruitment plans, and based in Monaco. There is no communication. To return to a popular theme on the Sludge board, this looks to me like monumental cock up (incompetence, inertia and delusion) not conspiracy.
    I completely agree with this. I think Tan believes he knows best, and every wrong decision someone else makes just confirms this to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I completely agree with this. I think Tan believes he knows best, and every wrong decision someone else makes just confirms this to him.
    There is one very large flaw to this way of thinking.

The wrong decisions made by someone else would be fine if he didn't put the person in a place of responsibility.
    In effect if you pick the person and they repeatedly balls things up then I'm sorry but you're the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    There is one very large flaw to this way of thinking.

The wrong decisions made by someone else would be fine if he didn't put the person in a place of responsibility.
    In effect if you pick the person and they repeatedly balls things up then I'm sorry but you're the problem.
    Tan doesn't believe this. By the way, rule out us signing Ramsey and Messi will you

One wonders whether Tan is simply the sort of guy who's achieved success more through luck than judgement.

Surely luck only lasts a limited time and you get caught out - he has been rich and successful for a while now albeit not in any of his football business - here or elsewhere - I just think he is incapable of manaaging a football club but lacks self awareness and surrounds himself with yes men - it's all emperors new clothes

This is the guy who back in the autumn said we are still focusing on a push for the prem when all the signs are that is a small dot on the horizon which is getting nigh on invisible by the day and continues to employ Dalman who admits to the club not having a plan, not wanting Morrison, not knowing much about Hudson and now disowning any decisions made by the club as nothing to do with him and choo may as well be a ghostly mute as we hear or see nothing of him

Rudderless leaderless and clueless but apart from that all is well

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

If by clever you mean incompetent then I'm with you all the way but putting clever and ccfc is not something we are familiar with

I think running a football club is so completely unlike any of his other business ventures that he has no clue what he’s doing, but he wants to be the ultimate decision maker. He’s probably convinced he’s the smartest man in the room and he’s rather see the club in shambles rather than give up decision making to anyone else.

I do think early on he probably saw himself as more the business side and let others handle more of the football side, but he felt like he got burned by Malky/Ole and the amount spent on transfers and wages just to come straight down from the Prem. That with the reaction to the rebrand probably reinforced the fact that he needed to get more involved and run it more like a traditional business, which we are seeing the end stage of now.

We got lucky with Warnock and a relatively cheaply put together squad, spent a bit to take a shot to stay in the prem which ended up in the Sala tragedy and Tan again feeling like he’s been burned on a transfer and I just don’t see any way he’s putting in anything except the bare minimum going forward.

Short answer is we are fecked unless a buyer comes in and even then Tan is going to need to take a massive loss to sell which I can’t see his ego taking. The other option is we end up in league 1 which let’s be honest is about the level we should be at given everything around the club - playing squad, organization, ownership etc… Hopefully we don’t drop even further and do a Portsmouth.