+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Echo Is Here !

Football Echo Is Here !

Loved those days

Sitting in the pub after the game early evening and it would turn up

In those days it was amazing to get a match report a few hours after the game

Times have changed of course , not sure for the better

Re: Football Echo Is Here !

I loved it too and I remember as a kid once getting the Birmingham version at Birmingham New Street after a game up north and being absolutely amazed by it.

Used to sit in the pub and pass it round.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I loved it too and I remember as a kid once getting the Birmingham version at Birmingham New Street after a game up north and being absolutely amazed by it.

Used to sit in the pub and pass it round.
    The Manchester Football Echo was a good read , so many clubs in that region

Growing up in South Manchester we had The Pink on a Saturday evening. It covered the big clubs along with the smaller clubs like Altrincham. A couple of seasons ago United dedicated one of their away kits to the paper I believe.

Loved the football echo
    Checking your Football accumulator with the days results, remember when one result let me down for a few quid and I didn't bin the bet just in case the one result was a miss print and wanted to see the results again in Sunday's papers just to be sure sure ..........
    Like you say how times have changed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Loved those days

The anticipation, waiting on Senghenydd square for the pink football echo’s to arrive at the fish shop. You’d have no idea what the scores were. Especially if you’d been out for the day with your mates and missed the video printer.

I couldn’t wait to see the attendances at each club for some obscure reason.

Mind I always new when the City lost, only had to see the glum faces getting off the Cyril Evans football coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Growing up in South Manchester we had The Pink on a Saturday evening. It covered the big clubs along with the smaller clubs like Altrincham. A couple of seasons ago United dedicated one of their away kits to the paper I believe.
    Where in South Manchester ?

I lived in Withington as a student and after

Chips and gravy , football pink in the pub

Loved chatting to the locals who were man City around there , always interested in ccfc

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    The anticipation, waiting on Senghenydd square for the pink football echo’s to arrive at the fish shop. You’d have no idea what the scores were. Especially if you’d been out for the day with your mates and missed the video printer.

Mind I always new when the City lost, only had to see the glum faces getting off the Cyril Evans football coach.
    I loved the attendances , still do

I still read the western mail and the Wales on sunday but they are both utterly shit

Sometimes 3 or 4 of the attendances in the championship are missing !

Either they can't be bothered or it's a glitch but it's feckin annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Loved the football echo
    Checking your Football accumulator with the days results, remember when one result let me down for a few quid and I didn't bin the bet just in case the one result was a miss print and wanted to see the results again in Sunday's papers just to be sure sure ..........
    Like you say how times have changed
    As I said below I have never been interested in match reports from United or Chelsea so the Sunday papers never interested me

Until the western mail on a Sunday started as the Wales on sunday

I still buy it now but its crap and its like watching a car crash

They often miss out results too 😂

On that awful day when we were relegated at Plough lane and worse still the day of the Bradford fire we didn't know it had happened until we got back to Cardiff and bought a football echo with that terrible photo of the stand ablaze and the headline FIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    On that awful day when we were relegated at Plough lane and worse still the day of the Bradford fire we didn't know it had happened until we got back to Cardiff and bought a football echo with that terrible photo of the stand ablaze and the headline FIRE.
    Nightmare

Same here!

Loved those days

The “Pink ‘Un” as it was called. Dai and Ianto another blast from the past.

I used to have Football Echo delivery round in Abertridwr as a teenager. There would be a race between us to try and get back to the Workman's Hall first to sell any surplus.

Proper journalists in those days. Woodward, Jackson, Lovejoy. Couldn't wait to get their reports of away games, particularly on the odd occasions that we won!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I used to have Football Echo delivery round in Abertridwr as a teenager. There would be a race between us to try and get back to the Workman's Hall first to sell any surplus.

Proper journalists in those days. Woodward, Jackson, Lovejoy. Couldn't wait to get their reports of away games, particularly on the odd occasions that we won!
    Karl Woodwards son did that ayatollah song for the fa cup final

It was shocking

He's a season ticket holder apparently

Didn't the pink football echo be replaced by a white paper version? It was never the same for me after Peter Jackson left; his replacement Karl Woodward wasn't up to much in my view although his successor Joe Lovejoy was a good journalist. I bought the football echo every Saturday in my early teens; when we played away I would stand outside the local newsagent awaiting delivery.

They would cover the Cardiff & District junior school rugby results, even to the detail of including try scores names. As a young kid that was an unbelievable feeling to see your name in the Football Echo, no matter how small the print was.

Now this is something old school I can get on board with.

First Team

Is my memory playing tricks or did they print the Manchester pink in vans outside the ground and you old get a copy within 15 min of the final whistle?

Loved the football echo as a kid.
    Joe Lovejoy was so good. There is nothing to compare to a late goal so
    I always went through every game looking for late winners.
    And attendances, so much sport revolves around stats.

Where in South Manchester ?

I lived in Withington as a student and after

Chips and gravy , football pink in the pub

Loved chatting to the locals who were man City around there , always interested in ccfc
    I was born in Sale, used to go to Altrincham games along with some at Old Trafford. Mainly Citeh and Liverpool fans at my school.

Loved those days

I’m pretty sure that I have posted this before but in the early 1970s when my Dad was the Circulation Manager at the Eggo, I remember that we’d go into the players’ lounge after home games, and I’d watch the scores coming in on TV whilst my Dad had a drink. Then we’d drive home via Thomson House in town and he’d pick up a copy of the Football Eggo straight off the presses and it was still warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m pretty sure that I have posted this before but in the early 1970s when my Dad was the Circulation Manager at the Eggo, I remember that we’d go into the players’ lounge after home games, and I’d watch the scores coming in on TV whilst my Dad had a drink. Then we’d drive home via Thomson House in town and he’d pick up a copy of the Football Eggo straight off the presses and it was still warm.
    PS I meant to add that I also still love looking at attendance figures….. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    PS I meant to add that I also still love looking at attendance figures….. :-/
    Yep

Local Derby.......oh that's a good crowd

Hours of fun

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I was born in Sale, used to go to Altrincham games along with some at Old Trafford. Mainly Citeh and Liverpool fans at my school.
    The student land fallowfield , Rusholme, Withington used to be citeh as the ground was so close

Different now I suppose