+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superbowl

Re: Superbowl

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Best 4 teams, both games would grace a Super Bowl (I know it’s not possible).

Mahomes v Burrow, Hurts v Mr. Irrelevant

Chiefs to beat the Bengals. Head says Eagles, heart says 49ers

For once I don’t mind which of the 4 win it, they’re equally deserving.

Signed Des. Founder member, tight end, strong safety. Manx Comets 1986-88
    It's great that people have an interest in it and a knowledge of the game

It's not of any interest to me although I do find the names of the teams interesting

Minnesotta vikings ......based upon the northern European origin of settlers to the area ?

Green bay packers .....something to do with the food industry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    over 80000, google the ice bowl
    Sludge doesn't do googling

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's great that people have an interest in it and a knowledge of the game

It's not of any interest to me although I do find the names of the teams interesting

Minnesotta vikings ......based upon the northern European origin of settlers to the area ?

Green bay packers .....something to do with the food industry ?
    Vikings, yes Vikings landing in North America.

Packers being off the back of the team being set up by an employer of a Meat Packing Factory and persuading them to sponsor the team.

I suppose when the north American winter draws in a trip to see the game is a welcome past time

Have you been ?

What drew you towards green bay ?
    The romance of the Little town amongst the big cities, vince lombardi etc read about it as a kid in the 60s then followed 30 years of crap until Brett Favre, saw them at Spurs in Oct bucket list to go to Lambeau Field

What made you a 49 ers fan ?

My mate watches any game , my other mate like St Louis .......why I don't know
    St Louis Cardinals baseball? The Rams headed back to LA a few years ago.

As for the 9ers, I saw them lose a playoff game against Washington when the NFL first came on and liked their name. After that I followed them and got into reading counter culture stuff based around San Francisco from beatniks to hippies. Always enjoyed visiting the city and area, very liberal place in general.

Been living in the States for more than a decade now and have come to enjoy NFL. We lived in Minneapolis for the first 7 of those years and am therefore very fond of the Vikings. Have to say though, I'm not bothered about watching other teams that much but will watch 49ers tonight because of Mr. Irrelevant, that's Brooke Purdy who last season was the superstar QB for Iowa State University which is where my Mrs teaches. Purdy was very good for the 'Cyclones' but not really expected to be drafted to one of the major NFL teams.

As the OP said, he's playing only because the 2 QB's above him have been injured but Purdy has taken his chance and done well reeling off seven consecutive wins for San Francisco. I read in the week that one of the injured QB's could be well enough to replace him for today's game. Apparently Purdy hasn't created a lot but has been safe while 49ers rely on their defence, reckoned to be best in NFL at the moment. They'll have to be to keep the Eagles from winning this 'semi-final' comfortably.

Definitely worth a watch though.

When Channel 4 first started showing American Football in the 80s, my team was the Houston Oilers (whatever happened to them?) because they were the worst team in America for the first couple of years of coverage. I can remember them picking Warren Moon as first draft pick and he was supposed the catalyst for a new era for them, but they were still crap - this year I’m hoping for a 49ers Super Bowl win, but with no confidence at all.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When Channel 4 first started showing American Football in the 80s, my team was the Houston Oilers (whatever happened to them?) because they were the worst team in America for the first couple of years of coverage. I can remember them picking Warren Moon as first draft pick and he was supposed the catalyst for a new era for them, but they were still crap - this year I’m hoping for a 49ers Super Bowl win, but with no confidence at all.
    The Oilers relocated to Memphis and are what is now the Tennessee Titans (who relocated to Nashville themselves).

There is an NFL team now in Houston. The Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The Oilers relocated to Memphis and are what is now the Tennessee Titans (who relocated to Nashville themselves).

Yes, I knew about the Texans and assumed they weren’t the same franchise as the Oilers, but I didn’t know about the link to the Tennessee Titans - thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    The romance of the Little town amongst the big cities, vince lombardi etc read about it as a kid in the 60s then followed 30 years of crap until Brett Favre, saw them at Spurs in Oct bucket list to go to Lambeau Field
    Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    St Louis Cardinals baseball? The Rams headed back to LA a few years ago.

As for the 9ers, I saw them lose a playoff game against Washington when the NFL first came on and liked their name. After that I followed them and got into reading counter culture stuff based around San Francisco from beatniks to hippies. Always enjoyed visiting the city and area, very liberal place in general.
    Some great metal bands from the bay area

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

This is where I think mmmm not for me

This is where I think mmmm not for me
    It is what it is.

The American sports model is there in most of the sports to create a level playing field.
    The draft system gives the worst team that year the first pick of the college talent coming through.

The fact no teams go down also gives them licence to do things a little fairer. For example merchandise is run by the NFL, you get an equal split of the merchandise proceeds regardless of whether you sell one mug and Green Bay Packers sell millions of jerseys etc.

I don't agree with moving teams elsewhere but it is usually a result of lack of support, sponsorship or things like a City not building new ground/facilities etc.

Eagles into the Superbowl.

Comfortable home win over the 49'ers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Eagles into the Superbowl.

Comfortable home win over the 49'ers
    Big anti climax of a game though. 49ers didn’t have a QB

Fly Eagles, fly!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Big anti climax of a game though. 49ers didn’t have a QB
    If I was making a football (saccrrr) comparison then it's like having your centre forward and central defender sent off in the first 10 minutes.

Disappointed as a 49er fan but crap for the neutral too

If I was making a football (saccrrr) comparison then it's like having your centre forward and central defender sent off in the first 10 minutes.

Very disappointing, the decision to bring Purdy back on, when he clearly couldn't throw the ball, just completely handicapped them.
    They really did need to bring in an emergency QB and take some risks. Bad decision ultimately, but the Superbowl should be a cracker.

If Brock purdy or even Jimmy G was was playing, the SF defence didn't do enough to keep them in the game. The Eagles defense just smothered the Niners' running game. It wasn't particularly exciting once the Eagles started racking up the points. But it was still a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If Brock purdy or even Jimmy G was was playing, the SF defence didn't do enough to keep them in the game. The Eagles defense just smothered the Niners' running game. It wasn't particularly exciting once the Eagles started racking up the points. But it was still a good game.
    Yeah, large part of Eagles closing down the running play so effectively was down to them knowing Purdy couldn't throw though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've read acres of comments from writers, fans of both teams and neutrals, you are the first one to say it was a good game. I guess you wanted the Eagles to win quite badly?

As for how it may have looked minus the injuries, we'll never know. I thought the SF defense was getting on top well into the second quarter but completely lost their heads and discipline after the Johnson fumble turnover. 7 penalties for first downs says it all, I don't think that would have happened if they were able to hold onto the ball for longer drives and give the D a break.

Really looking forward to the Super Bowl, it’s some time since the #1 seeds meet in the SB.

Difficult to call, Mahomes is a super talent and Kelce gives him options … but the Eagles are the slightly better team.

Hope the game reflects the talent of these two teams.

The Superbowl should be a decent watch for the neutral/casual fan. Eagles are the personification of the saying that "matches are won in the trenches" as their OL/DL's are scary good, whereas the Chiefs are the high-flying, offensive powerhouse with a QB that sounds like Kermit.

Seem to remember this place having a fantasy NFL league going years ago. I remember naming my team after the current Head Coach of the team I follow and he left in 2014, which shows you how long ago it would've been.