+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham for the prem?

Wrexham for the prem?

Sports Illustrated, probably the most prominent sports magazine in the United States, speculates that those two movie stars, who I don't think I have ever seen in anything, could take Wrexham to the Premier League in 10 to 15 years.

I don't know where the fan base would be, unless a lot of people from all over Wales jump on the bandwagon.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/...premier-league

Re: Wrexham for the prem?

No chance.

They will definitely get to the Championship within that time.

In terms of fanbase, there's already a few Championship clubs they are bigger than.

Never understood the argument that they do not have the fan base for the top leagues.

They can already draw a similar attendance to what Bournemouth are in the Premier League.

Look at Brentford / Fulham, it is certainly possible to sustain yourself as a premier league side with sub >20k attendances.

fan base is less important than ever, certainly once you start getting some serious TV money

When and if they get in the football league the rug will be pulled from under their feet with the ffp rules.
    If Giggs the Nevilles et al can't do it with Salford these yanks have no chance.

I don't see why they would. Fair play to them, and they've grown the fanbase etc and will very likely be back in the football league next season..I think think they will get promoted again too into League One.

Wrexham would then find themselves in a league containing (currently) teams such as Sheff Wed, Derby, Pompey, Ipswich etc. There is no reason to think their fairly limited wealth and by then 15,000 crowds will get them into the championship, let alone the prem..

Could happen of course but I can't see any more than I can see dozens of clubs doing it

If Barnsley can get in the top flight then so can Wrexham

Staying there is the problem as we found out

They definitely have the support to survive in the championship

Wrexham have the problem that so many of the locals in North Wales follow Liverpool , United and Everton

But they could get 12000 gates in the championship I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If Barnsley can get in the top flight then so can Wrexham

Staying there is the problem as we found out

They definitely have the support to survive in the championship

Wrexham have the problem that so many of the locals in North Wales follow Liverpool , United and Everton

But they could get 12000 gates in the championship I reckon
    They’re getting 9k now in the conference. They’re the same as us, sustain championship football and they could be pushing 20k+ no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    They’re getting 9k now in the conference. They’re the same as us, sustain championship football and they could be pushing 20k+ no problem.
    Historically their crowds suggest otherwise

http://european-football-statistics....eague/wrex.htm

Who were the club that went from the old division four to the then top tier of division one in consecutive seasons and then were relegated back to division four in consecutive seasons? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    fan base is less important than ever, certainly once you start getting some serious TV money
    But you've got to get into the PL to get that serious TV money...

Maybe 20 years ago but can’t see it nowadays. In my opinion League 1 is a realistic target.

The will certainly go through League 2 pretty quickly on what I’ve seen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Never understood the argument that they do not have the fan base for the top leagues.

They can already draw a similar attendance to what Bournemouth are in the Premier League.

Look at Brentford / Fulham, it is certainly possible to sustain yourself as a premier league side with sub >20k attendances.
    Bournemouth are the exception to the rule. Brentford are incredibly well run by someone who really knows what he is doing, it is his life's work. Rob and Ryan are actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    They will definitely get to the Championship within that time.
    I wouldn't say definitely, there are many and varied ways in which they could cock it up, they're doing well now as they have a lot more money that their rivals, the higher up the pyramid they go they will have less and less advantage, and will actually need to be well run if they want to progress

No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bournemouth are the exception to the rule. Brentford are incredibly well run by someone who really knows what he is doing, it is his life's work. Rob and Ryan are actors.
    Bournemouth had millions pumped in by Russian owners, breaking FFP rules to promote to the Prem.

I admire how the owners have come in with the plans they have, how they have shown great respect for the club and the community.

I do wish them well but I'm not quite on the hype train just because the club is Welsh. Also I'm slightly jealous of the buzz they have for their club atm. Been a while since I even properly celebrated a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Who were the club that went from the old division four to the then top tier of division one in consecutive seasons and then were relegated back to division four in consecutive seasons? 🤔
    Off top of my head I think Northampton?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    I don’t know about that…it’s a small town isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Shit ones too….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t know about that…it’s a small town isn’t it?
    Just had a look on Wiki. As usual population figures are all over the place depending on where the boundary is drawn. Wrexham is either a town of 61,500 or 135,100. Bournemouth has 3x the population of Wrexham (by either count).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just had a look on Wiki. As usual population figures are all over the place depending on where the boundary is drawn. Wrexham is either a town of 61,500 or 135,100. Bournemouth has 3x the population of Wrexham (by either count).
    Sludge will be along in a bit to put you right.