+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham for the prem?

Re: Wrexham for the prem?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I admire how the owners have come in with the plans they have, how they have shown great respect for the club and the community.

I do wish them well but I'm not quite on the hype train just because the club is Welsh. Also I'm slightly jealous of the buzz they have for their club atm. Been a while since I even properly celebrated a goal.
    Yes, very true. The atmosphere and excitement at their game yesterday was reminiscent of our cup tie with Leeds in terms of passion from the home fans ( without the malevolent tension).

My long time Bolton supporting mate always said the journey up the leagues is the best time supporting your club, he wasn’t wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes, very true. The atmosphere and excitement at their game yesterday was reminiscent of our cup tie with Leeds in terms of passion from the home fans ( without the malevolent tension).

My long time Bolton supporting mate always said the journey up the leagues is the best time supporting your club, he wasn’t wrong.
    Bolton, there's a club. I was looking at some of the players they signed during their Premier league days, Holy Crap! The wages they must've been spewing.

They need to concentrate on the league.They are playing a lot of games.They picked up a few injuries yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Historically their crowds suggest otherwise

http://european-football-statistics....eague/wrex.htm
    Pointless comparing with historic attendances. They've never had Hollywood investment before, a documentary series beamed across the world and a shirt sponsor of the calibre of TikTok.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Bournemouth had millions pumped in by Russian owners, breaking FFP rules to promote to the Prem.
    Exactly. Wrexham’s owners aren’t worth anywhere near the Russian owners

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Pointless comparing with historic attendances. They've never had Hollywood investment before, a documentary series beamed across the world and a shirt sponsor of the calibre of TikTok.
    Well, it is. It’s Wrexham, it’s not a big place. They’ll also hit the skids at one point and the gloss will wear off. Look at some of the clubs in League One, this isn’t going to be a cake walk

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just had a look on Wiki. As usual population figures are all over the place depending on where the boundary is drawn. Wrexham is either a town of 61,500 or 135,100. Bournemouth has 3x the population of Wrexham (by either count).
    Small then….not saying it’s not possible. Burnley manage it

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Rob and Ryan are actors.
    They are indeed both actors, but they have hired a group of people who not only know what they're doing, but are also people that they can trust. Even after ten years or more, Vincent Tan doesn't have that.
    That said, I think they will reach a point at which serious cash is required (as someone else said - look at Salford, or Forest Green even), and that's when they might baulk at paying out more of their own. That would be the time to get someone else on board. If they go up this season, they'd be well placed to go up again, but then things might start to slow down.

Historically their crowds suggest otherwise

http://european-football-statistics....eague/wrex.htm
    Our attendances were very similar mid 90s. I know many people who wouldn’t watch us then but are now season ticket holders. No reason to think it won’t happen to the people of North Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just had a look on Wiki. As usual population figures are all over the place depending on where the boundary is drawn. Wrexham is either a town of 61,500 or 135,100. Bournemouth has 3x the population of Wrexham (by either count).
    I think you’ll find Wrexham is a City

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    Our attendances were very similar mid 90s. I know many people who wouldn’t watch us then but are now season ticket holders. No reason to think it won’t happen to the people of North Wales.
    They were , but I just don’t think they would consistently achieve big crowds. Even in the boom post war era of attendance figures they appeared to have missed out.

It’s a small club on a roll at the moment , that’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    there are a lot less people in North Wales

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They are indeed both actors, but they have hired a group of people who not only know what they're doing, but are also people that they can trust. Even after ten years or more, Vincent Tan doesn't have that.
    That said, I think they will reach a point at which serious cash is required (as someone else said - look at Salford, or Forest Green even), and that's when they might baulk at paying out more of their own. That would be the time to get someone else on board. If they go up this season, they'd be well placed to go up again, but then things might start to slow down.
    will ferrell ( who has been to a few games with RR ) could well get on board and bring in the LAFC lot, that would make sense

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I think you’ll find Wrexham is a City
    So is Hereford , I’d argue they are of similar size

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They've hired people like Shaun Harvey who did a great job at Leeds . Their CEO is from Burton. Mathew Benham has spent his life developing money ball. He even tested it on a club in Denmark first. Wrexham have thrown millions at this and have a half decent side but it isn't the same thing. It isn't data driven, ground breaking stuff. It is just well thought out and sensible, unlike us. Wrexham have a ceiling.

They don’t have the money for a Premier League team. Probably don’t have the money to support a competitive Championship team.

I imagine they'll get further than the likes of Salford/Forest Green as unlike those two they are a proper club. If you haul yourselves to the Championship then who knows? You're one promotion away from the Premier League. It is also the point where the wheels can come off though

In terms of size, comparing them to us is ridiculous and I imagine most Wrexham fans would acknowledge that.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I imagine they'll get further than the likes of Salford/Forest Green as unlike those two they are a proper club. .
    What’s the definition of a proper club? Why aren’t Forest Green a proper club? Formed 10 years before City, climbed their way through the leagues, I can’t agree with your opinion. They deserve to be there as much as Wrexham, or City.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    What’s the definition of a proper club? Why aren’t Forest Green a proper club? Formed 10 years before City, climbed their way through the leagues, I can’t agree with your opinion. They deserve to be there as much as Wrexham, or City.
    They don't have a history at Football League level, don't really have a fanbase large enough to sustain a League 1 club and are based in a town of 5,000.

Wrexham spent 87 years in the Football League, have proven themselves to have a decent fanbase even in non-league and have the catchment area to sustain a League 1 club or higher

Not a proper club is a little harsh on Forest Green, but Wrexham are a different level of club

So is Hereford , I’d argue they are of similar size
    Merthyr 58k, Wrexham 63k….

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They don't have a history at Football League level, don't really have a fanbase large enough to sustain a League 1 club and are based in a town of 5,000.

Wrexham spent 87 years in the Football League, have proven themselves to have a decent fanbase even in non-league and have the catchment area to sustain a League 1 club or higher

Not a proper club is a little harsh on Forest Green, but Wrexham are a different level of club
    I’m very defensive of FGR, as having played against them several times, they represent a success story that so many amateur footballers aspire to & wish for. I’ve witnessed their efforts & climb first hand and they deserve to be where they are. Nothing taken for granted & every step earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m very defensive of FGR, as having played against them several times, they represent a success story that so many amateur footballers aspire to & wish for. I’ve witnessed their efforts & climb first hand and they deserve to be where they are. Nothing taken for granted & every step earned.
    Bloody 'ell Des, you do like them. Did you let a 'few in' in order to help speed up their progress

Absolutely not, but if you are welsh and from north wales you should be supportive of Wrexham

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bournemouth are the exception to the rule. Brentford are incredibly well run by someone who really knows what he is doing, it is his life's work. Rob and Ryan are actors.
    And Tan is a ?

Not sure I really get this ‘love in’ with Wrexham?

Why would we (CCFC) want them to be successful?