+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UK to be only G7 country in recession this year.

UK to be only G7 country in recession this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-year-imf-says

I look forward to the Olympic gold medal worthy mental gymnastics from the usual suspects on this thread.

Re: UK to be only G7 country in recession this year.

Mental gymnastics aren't difficult here Dorcus. It's a prediction so extreme caution with the figures is what is wise.

There is actual real data out there for 2022.

The question is why you ignore real data and start threads on predictions?

Still. Good to keep this thread as a handy means of assessing how accurate the predictions are throughout 2023 perhaps? Am all for that 👍

The real data says the UK has the highest energy bills in the world and the only major economy to be smaller than it was pre covid.

More real data if anybody wants to put in the effort.

https://nickcohen.substack.com/p/202...uks-decline-is

Of course we must also acknowledge that better 4.30 and 8.55 last Tuesday, UK growth was better than France and Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    More real data if anybody wants to put in the effort.

https://nickcohen.substack.com/p/202...uks-decline-is

Of course we must also acknowledge that better 4.30 and 8.55 last Tuesday, UK growth was better than France and Germany.
    So basically when faced with facts about GDP that don't fit your narrative, instead of acknowledging them, you will reach for guesswork and a journalist to try and back you up?! Sounds like a familiar modern tale that!

We know some countries full data already so why don't you wait just over a week and we will have all the full 2022 GDP data that is actually real. Not hypotheses, real findings.

We can speculate over reasons behind it, but surely you recognise real data is better than guesswork?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So basically when faced with facts about GDP that don't fit your narrative, instead of acknowledging them, you will reach for guesswork and a journalist to try and back you up?! Sounds like a familiar modern tale that!

We know some countries full data already so why don't you wait just over a week and we will have all the full 2022 GDP data that is actually real. Not hypotheses, real findings.

We can speculate over reasons behind it, but surely you recognise real data is better than guesswork?
    I guess you either didn't mean to reply to me or you didn't read the link as it is based upon data from the last 40/50 years which is going to be far more robust in terms of seeing patterns emerge than just picking a year/metric to suit

Apart from ploughing money into their and their mates’ bank account (other accounts are available) what is this government actually doing well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Apart from ploughing money into their and their mates’ bank account (other accounts are available) what is this government actually doing well?
    I'd say lying, but they're not doing it very well. So i'll go with increasing support for labour.

Jokes aside, it's actually a really, really good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Part of the IMF report says that after this year the UKs prospects are better and have laid good foundations for that to happen.
    Basically Truss and Kwarteng fecked up any prospects of growth this year.
    Still, it's only speculation and forecasts so we don't want to take them too seriously at this stage do we?

Brexit costing UK £100 billion a year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._campaign=copy

Truly hilarious, and deranged, headline from the Daily Mail today - it’s that line about doing the same thing and expecting a different result again.

https://www.frontpages.com/daily-mail/

First Team

Jimbo

You've acknowledged you have zero expertise in Economics so maybe lay off the high horse BS.

I thought you loved forecasts? Correction - you love your own and don't like experts as you are (boringly) once again demonstrating.

Basically you're a just poundshop Rees-Mogg/Hannan.

Do tell us how you think 2022 provides for optimism about 2023 and 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Jimbo

You've acknowledged you have zero expertise in Economics so maybe lay off the high horse BS.

I thought you loved forecasts? Correction - you love your own and don't like experts as you are (boringly) once again demonstrating.

Basically you're a just poundshop Rees-Mogg/Hannan.

Do tell us how you think 2022 provides for optimism about 2023 and 2024.
    No I haven't AZ. I've actually challenged you to put your god like status to the test and make some predictions. You declined, bar some wild totally improveable statement. Offer is still there. What are you so afraid of? If you have that expertise you won't mind testing it.

Incidentally, I don't really like forecasts. I mean they are useful but I prefer facts. The same way I prefer Final Score at 4.45 more than Lawros predictions on Football Focus.

As stated here by the way, the reason for this is that they are frequently wrong. That's understandable but the IMF have consistently under reported UK growth 15 times out of the last 15.

Fishy? 🤔

https://order-order.com/2023/01/31/a...imf-forecasts/

I never said 2022 particularly provides optimism for 2023 or 2024 either. I merely said that real data is more important than guesswork. Do you disagree?

As it happens though, I do think the next 2-3 years will be better for the global economy than the last 2-3. Not hard of course, barring some unforeseen actions globally. How China responds to slower growth than they have been used to will be interesting.

IMF stands for Information Mindless Feckers .

They will never stand in front of politicians and back up tjier utterings ..

The IMF lost its primary mission when the international financial system moved away from the gold standard to a floating exchange rate system. It also is clear that the IMF's approach to economic development has been a colossal failure.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The IMF lost its primary mission when the international financial system moved away from the gold standard to a floating exchange rate system. It also is clear that the IMF's approach to economic development has been a colossal failure.
    You deserve a nice sweet drink after those nasty sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

https://www.heritage.org/report/the-...poorer%20today.

Back to 1997 for your earth shattering insight on the current IMF. Any similar thoughts you may have on the untimely passing of Diana, Princess of Wales feel free to share.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Part of the IMF report says that after this year the UKs prospects are better and have laid good foundations for that to happen.
    Basically Truss and Kwarteng fecked up any prospects of growth this year.
    Still, it's only speculation and forecasts so we don't want to take them too seriously at this stage do we?
    Strangely part of the reason the IMF sees such a doomsday is high taxes , BOE threw a wobbly when Truss took up that tactic ?? Its all bollocks . IMF last year were predicted growth FFS

No I haven't AZ. I've actually challenged you to put your god like status to the test and make some predictions. You declined, bar some wild totally improveable statement. Offer is still there. What are you so afraid of? If you have that expertise you won't mind testing it.

Incidentally, I don't really like forecasts. I mean they are useful but I prefer facts. The same way I prefer Final Score at 4.45 more than Lawros predictions on Football Focus.

As stated here by the way, the reason for this is that they are frequently wrong. That's understandable but the IMF have consistently under reported UK growth 15 times out of the last 15.

Fishy? 🤔

https://order-order.com/2023/01/31/a...imf-forecasts/

I never said 2022 particularly provides optimism for 2023 or 2024 either. I merely said that real data is more important than guesswork. Do you disagree?

As it happens though, I do think the next 2-3 years will be better for the global economy than the last 2-3. Not hard of course, barring some unforeseen actions globally. How China responds to slower growth than they have been used to will be interesting.
    Where did you reach the conclusion that the IMF has underreported UK growth the last 15 times it made predictions?

You seem to base this a Guido Fawkes graph that mysteriously ends in the middle of 2019 then adds some point in time dates which state that the IMF were "off" that extend for the last three years (Given the use of the word "off" and the absence of the graph I would presume that there were regular intervals where the IMF overestimated UK growth in this time).

The IMF button gave a useful insight into how Guido works. If you scroll down you will see that every time the IMF forecasts low UK growth it calls its forecasting into question and every time it puts the UK at or near the top of growth forecasts it trumpets the forecast to the high heavens.

https://order-order.com/tag/imf/

Fishy?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    https://www.heritage.org/report/the-...poorer%20today.

Back to 1997 for your earth shattering insight on the current IMF. Any similar thoughts you may have on the untimely passing of Diana, Princess of Wales feel free to share.
    snip - 2023-02-01T105351.321.jpg

The UK has a smaller GDP now that pre-Covid. We are the only major economy where that is the case. The government now accept that the lockdown restrictions were too severe, and that they were too profligate with the nations cash, without proper controls. I accept that at the time the ends justified the means, and we are looking back with perfect hindsight vision, but they were decisions taken by BoJo and Rishi and they were very much the wrong decisions. That is evidenced in our current economic malaise. When you overlay the cluster**** that is Brexit, I can understand why the most ardent supporters just stick their head up their arses and pretend all smells rosey.

Great news for lefties, globalisation and capitalian failed and dead.

Bring on workers collective, same workers uniforms , martial law , shutdown, rationing , oh and a big army to make it work.