+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iconic 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural to be painted over

Iconic 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural to be painted over

Gutted. Loved it.

It has been announced that the 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural, which has become one of Cardiff's most loved pieces of art, is to be removed.

Full story: https://bit.ly/3Jbokwf

Re: Iconic 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural to be painted over

These should be preserved as they brighten up the city better than a fast food advert or whatever is going to replace it.

Put Dalman and Choo on the job to cover it up.

It will still be there for all to see in a decade.

Not going to feed the poor tho is it, or end the war in Ukraine.
    At the end of the day A piss in Mississippi.

That's a shame. It would be nice to have something like that be permanent. I still don't understand the yellow shirt though.

Christ Cardiff is a crap city

This sort of thing reaches across everybody but no let's paint over it

Gareth Edwards from West Wales ......something like that

Keep the feckwits happy

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That's a shame. It would be nice to have something like that be permanent. I still don't understand the yellow shirt though.
    Don’t understand any of it if I’m being honest - never met a brother who refers to wales as Cymru.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    These should be preserved as they brighten up the city better than a fast food advert or whatever is going to replace it.
    Did you read the article?

I like it but there's been a few murals there and the idea of them evolving and changing over time is no bad thing.

When I used to live in Cardiff, I didn't have any friends or family who would refer to Wales as "Cymru".. not one!

I often drank down the docks area (yes, that's right - before it was fashionably known as... "The Bay" ).
    Lots of the local ethnic minorities there were proud to be be called 'Cardiffians'. However, they didn't feel as comfortable outside of the city when in other parts of Wales...not even as close as places as Caerphilly.

The mural is wishful thinking that ethnic minorities identify with Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Christ Cardiff is a crap city

This sort of thing reaches across everybody but no let's paint over it

Gareth Edwards from West Wales ......something like that

Keep the feckwits happy
    Sludge - you know feck all about Cardiff.
    If you don't like it, fine, stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Don’t understand any of it if I’m being honest - never met a brother who refers to wales as Cymru.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sludge - you know feck all about Cardiff.
    If you don't like it, fine, stay away.
    Don't be a bell end

The fathers and shakers of Cardiff do absolutely feck all to promote the incredible history of the city , most especially the cosmopolitan Butetown

There are statues of famous black sportsmen born in Cardiff in Hull

Yet in Cardiff a white bloke from West Wales is the subject of a sculpture in the city centre

It's an absolute joke

I have lived in Cardiff , worked in Cardiff and know plenty of Docks people where I used to work

So I am happy to state Cardiff is crap at celebrating its past and always has been

And this mural in Quay Street should have stayed

Now stay in China you nerk

Didn't we have all this fuss a few months ago, when it was painted over 'by accident. Anyway, it's a shame, yes, but it's hardly 'iconic'. It's only been there five minutes....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Didn't we have all this fuss a few months ago, when it was painted over 'by accident. Anyway, it's a shame, yes, but it's hardly 'iconic'. It's only been there five minutes....
    It would be iconic if it was left for ten years

Celebrates Cardiffs cosmopolitan nature

But as is the point I am trying to make , Cardiff misses another opportunity

Don't be a bell end

The fathers and shakers of Cardiff do absolutely feck all to promote the incredible history of the city , most especially the cosmopolitan Butetown

There are statues of famous black sportsmen born in Cardiff in Hull

Yet in Cardiff a white bloke from West Wales is the subject of a sculpture in the city centre

It's an absolute joke

I have lived in Cardiff , worked in Cardiff and know plenty of Docks people where I used to work

So I am happy to state Cardiff is crap at celebrating its past and always has been

And this mural in Quay Street should have stayed

Now stay in China you nerk
    Oh, feck off!

You proclaim to have first-hand knowledge of just about every city in the UK - from Bradford to Oxford!
    You know all about the rough estates of almost everywhere within the UK, and no one can challenge your knowledge.
    You might have lived in Cardiff (in your seemingly short working life! ) but you really don't KNOW Cardiff.

You're rather like the student population, they come and go and yet claim to know the city.

Oh, feck off!

You proclaim to have first-hand knowledge of just about every city in the UK - from Bradford to Oxford!
    You know all about the rough estates of almost everywhere within the UK, and no one can challenge your knowledge.
    You might have lived in Cardiff (in your seemingly short working life! ) but you really don't KNOW Cardiff.

You're rather like the student population, they come and go and yet claim to know the city.
    Well pm me and I will tell you exactly where I have lived in YOUR city , where I worked and what I know about it

Some people in life move around and don't just got to school , get a job and live in the same place all their lives , we move about

Hence knowledge is acquired

You should try it

Cardiff has a fantastic history with regard to Butetown but it's airbrushed out far too often

Ding Dong

Well pm me and I will tell you exactly where I have lived in YOUR city , where I worked and what I know about it

Some people in life move around and don't just got to school , get a job and live in the same place all their lives , we move about

You should try it

Cardiff has a fantastic history with regard to Butetown but it's airbrushed out far too often

Ding Dong
    Ah, nice shift.

You went from.. "Cardiff is a crap city" to.. "So I am happy to state Cardiff is crap at celebrating its past".

You don't need to pm me, you can say what you have to say here.

How many years did you live in Cardiff?

Which areas/estates did you live?

You should try it

Ding Dong
    You're suggesting "I should move about"?
    Am I right in thinking, that you've never been outside of the UK?

When I used to live in Cardiff, I didn't have any friends or family who would refer to Wales as "Cymru".. not one!

I often drank down the docks area (yes, that's right - before it was fashionably known as... "The Bay" ).
    Lots of the local ethnic minorities there were proud to be be called 'Cardiffians'. However, they didn't feel as comfortable outside of the city when in other parts of Wales...not even as close as places as Caerphilly.

The mural is wishful thinking that ethnic minorities identify with Wales.
    Times do change.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It may not be iconic, but has it left a legacy ? Bingo anyone ?

I've lived in Cardiff all my life. I don't have any friends or family who refer to Wales as Cymru - unless the very small number who can actually speak Welsh happen to be talking to each other in Welsh.

The whole 'Cymru' thing with regard to the Welsh football team is utter nonsense. I've attended countless internationals over the years. Never once have I heard the crowd chanting 'Cymru! Cymru!' The Welsh FA have got a lot right in recent times, but they've got this one badly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Times do change.
    So, tell me have they; in relationship to the ethnic minorities in Cardiff and their perceived identity to being Welsh?

its no Banksy is it

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcbluebird View Post
    Gutted. Loved it.
    You'll be alright. Just take a picture of it. Then you can look at it whenever you want.

Considering the slogan refers to Wales as Cymru, shouldn't the rest of it also be in Welsh?