+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bad time to be a Welsh supporter

International

A bad time to be a Welsh supporter

Wales football and Rugby are rubbish, Swansea are poor, and Cardiff City terrible, the only good thing is that even the glory-hunting Welsh Liverpool fans are having a bad time.

Re: A bad time to be a Welsh supporter

It’s cyclical, we will have an upturn soon enough (apart from Swansea hopefully).

The Devils aren't doing too badly

Wrexham are doing ok

Our international cricket team looking good and playing really entertaining stuff and its an Ashes summer.😀

We have been spoilt. The national football qualifying for three of the past four major finals including reaching a semi final.
    The national rugby team winning four Grand Slams and two other titles in the past 18 years and two World Cup Finals.
    Cardiff City and Swansea both in the top flight in recent times.

Compare the above to the 1990’s when Cardiff and Swansea were in the basement division. Wales national football was going nowhere and the national rugby team were a laughing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We have been spoilt. The national football qualifying for three of the past four major finals including reaching a semi final.
    The national rugby team winning four Grand Slams and two other titles in the past 18 years and two World Cup Finals.

Compare the above to the 1990’s when Cardiff and Swansea were in the basement division. Wales national football was going nowhere and the national rugby team were a laughing stock.
    Are you reflecting on the past, or predicting the future?

The national rugby team winning four Grand Slams and two other titles in the past 18 years and two World Cup semi Finals.

Wales football rubbish? This is the best era for the national team by some distance

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Wales football rubbish? This is the best era for the national team by some distance
    We were embarrassing at the WC, I assume that’s what he was on about

A couple of months ago the football team were in the World Cup.
    It may not have gone well, but unless you're at least retirement age, you're unlikely to remember that happening in your lifetime before.
    Yes rugby is in a bit of a mess but the men's hockey team have just played in their first World Cup and Wrexham are enjoying their best times in years.

Looks like we are heading back to the 90’s….can the Wales team surpass Turkey and make it to the Euros and then a World Cup that that normal folk can go to in the USA. That’s my only hope

We’re going back in that direction ,now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It may not have gone well, but unless you're at least retirement age, you're unlikely to remember that happening in your lifetime before.
    Yes rugby is in a bit of a mess but the men's hockey team have just played in their first World Cup and Wrexham are enjoying their best times in years.
    Ice or Toff ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Wrexham are doing ok
    That's not proper Wales.

International

Yes, it's been amazing in the past, but that's gone now, our two World class players have been replaced with Championship and lower-level Premier players.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, it's been amazing in the past, but that's gone now, our two World class players have been replaced with Championship and lower-level Premier players.
    I saw Steve Evans play for Wales while he played in the Conference. We're miles away from that.

However, given how shit we were at the world cup, I wish we would stop singing "it's coming home". It is so embarrassing.

I've just seen Steve Evans made 7 caps, and got released by Wrexham within 12 months of his last one. Yeh, this ain't a bad time to be a Wales fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think a lot of people may see that as the peak. It was also disappointing as a peak.
    All down to how the new wave of talent is brought through. Johnson looks the part for example. I think it would've made sense to part ways with the Manager at this point so it's a fresh start for the euros but there we are

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    There's plenty of young talent in the side, it's still a good and exciting time for Wales. Not too long ago we were playing Steve Morison and Andrew Crofts. We can still field a team made up mostly of top division starters, that's decent going for such a small country

Memories are short.

I think the glory days may have gone with Bale's resignation and Ramsey well past his best. But we have enough talent coming through to be able to get through to major tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I saw Steve Evans play for Wales while he played in the Conference. We're miles away from that.

However, given how shit we were at the world cup, I wish we would stop singing "it's coming home". It is so embarrassing.
    I think most of this board's members would like to see an end to the anti-English stuff, especially when a good proportion of our squad are English. After spending 20 years working in Bristol I have no illusions of the disdain they hold us in but it just makes us sound petty.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I think a lot of people may see that as the peak. It was also disappointing as a peak.
    All down to how the new wave of talent is brought through. Johnson looks the part for example. I think it would've made sense to part ways with the Manager at this point so it's a fresh start for the euros but there we are
    Much of the recent success has been on the back of the connection between the players and managers - managers who themselves who played for the team. That helped develop the Together Stronger mantra and I think the FAW would find it difficult to break that cycle and appoint someone outside this model. Without an obvious replacement coming through at the moment I can see Page being here for another couple of years. Maybe then one of the current senior players may be ready to take over.

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Yes, he's not bad, so instead of a World class superstar possibly one of the top three players in the World, we have a young unproven bottom-of premier league/ Championship Striker.

He's probably our best hope and wouldn't get in the England team, how many of our players would?