+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Nathan Jones thread

The Nathan Jones thread

Re: Nathan Jones… not working out too well

Job’s too big for him, as you said, lost the plot.

TBF…..he was out of his depth at Luton.

He has had his fair share of odd interviews. Didn’t he have one after we beat them once.

Why’s he lost the plot? Did I miss something? He said he’s compromised and he won’t in the future. The video title is also misleading he didn’t say that.

The problem with football these days , especially in the top divisions is the sense of entitlement the clubs and sometimes the fans have

Southampton are a yo yo club these days after many years in the old first division

A couple of wins and they shoot up

Another season the same side could be mid table

Or equally relegated

I am sure he's quite a good manager and he's right that Luton were hard working and very fast and direct under him

However he appears nervous and under pressure in the Southampton job and I can't see him lasting long

It’s everything most managers would want to say in that position but can’t.

His heads gone and it’s going to go one way or the other. History tells us when emotions come through it’s usually negative but may do him some good and give the whole squad a kick

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Except he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why’s he lost the plot? Did I miss something? He said he’s compromised and he won’t in the future. The video title is also misleading he didn’t say that.
    Agreed, don’t see what the fuss is about - good to hear a manager not using the usual platitudes. We, rightly, knock all of the “across the line”, “in the building”, “on the grass” bollox and then a manager who tries to be a bit different is ridiculed for “losing the plot”.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    How has he lost the plot? I think that’s a brilliant interview and exactly how interviews should be. In day to day life, managers do not have to get up in front of the world and explain themselves when things haven’t gone well. It doesn’t happen outside of sport. Every football fan complains about boring managers and cliches. Then you get a brilliant and honest press conference like this and people accuse Nathan Jones of losing the plot. Bollox. Fans demand to know what’s going on and then don’t like hearing somebody battling and backing themselves. Good for Nathan Jones I say. I liked Steve Morison and had no issue with his so-called “abrasiveness”. Do not moan about cliches and dinosaurs set in their ways, and then complain about somebody giving their honest opinions. Nathan Jones has only risen considerably in my estimations after this.

He came across as (the message boards favourite current phrase) “rattled” for me. Say all that behind closed doors if you need to say it.

It's Cardiff City's fault, sort of, indirectly.... Nathan jones was an apprentice from 90-92 at the club. He became good mates with Mattie Crocker (Llanedeyrn boy) who was there the same 2 years, and is now Dof at Southampton, who got the job at Southampton because Gavin Tait was head of academy when he went there (Tait was head of academy at city) So it's our fault and we're getting relegated again......

The exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The exact opposite.
    I’m surprised that anybody bothered replying to this post by Grangetown Blue. It’s either a mistake, a poor wind up or sheer stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    He came across as (the message boards favourite current phrase) “rattled” for me. Say all that behind closed doors if you need to say it.
    Yep , twitching , fiddling with his t shirt , fast talking

He might always be like that but he was definitely on edge

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, don’t see what the fuss is about - good to hear a manager not using the usual platitudes. We, rightly, knock all of the “across the line”, “in the building”, “on the grass” bollox and then a manager who tries to be a bit different is ridiculed for “losing the plot”.
    Fair enough. I can rationalise how you or somebody else might think that. My take was that he’d lost the plot (the dressing room, the supporters, the leadership - call it what you like) I certainly wasn’t ridiculing him. In my experience you ask the questions about culture, expectations and accountability before you take the job… not a few weeks after you’ve taken it. We all make mistakes.. sounds to me like he thinks he’s made a few. Appreciate others may think differently

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Fair enough. I can rationalise how you or somebody else might think that. My take was that he’d lost the plot (the dressing room, the supporters, the leadership - call it what you like) I certainly wasn’t ridiculing him. In my experience you ask the questions about culture, expectations and accountability before you take the job… not a few weeks after you’ve taken it. We all make mistakes.. sounds to me like he thinks he’s made a few. Appreciate others may think differently
    Looks like he's been found out from what I could see

He was all over the place in that

It's clearly not his fault that football fans want success yesterday but he's come in as the saviour , results have been poor so he's getting stick

I don't think he's used to it or can deal with it

He wouldn't have been suited to CCFC

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He comes across as a bit mad from that press conference though. Not in control.

And not managerial in the slightest.

I’d worry for him and Southampton based on that. There is absolutely no way that Premier League players are going to buy into his approach if he comes access like that. I suspect that his days are already numbered.

And yet, ironically his attitude would probably be ideal for our players atm!
    Last edited by Bobby Dandruff; 06-02-23 at 01:35. Reason: Adding content

He seems to have a similar one after every defeat.

When we beat them there last year he was saying how he had changed for our style of play and how he wouldn't be doing that again, never again.

Likes the drama a bit Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    He seems to have a similar one after every defeat.

When we beat them there last year he was saying how he had changed for our style of play and how he wouldn't be doing that again, never again.

Likes the drama a bit Nathan.
    And since then, Luton have beaten us three times out of three, twice with Nathan Jones in charge.

I don't think I'm going over the top when I say Jones did a phenomenally good job at Luton, but he's not proved he can transfer that ability to another club yet. I looked at the Southampton side under Hasenhüttl and thought they were the worst in this season's Premier League, so, with no eye catching signings last month, I'd say Jones will have done a great job if he keeps them up. There's been a few signs that he can improve the team, but a comprehensive defeat like Saturday's will have been a kick on the teeth for him - he wears his heart on his sleeve and I'd guess his reaction to the defeat wouldn't have come as a total surprise to anyone who has followed his managerial career closely.

Jones is going to get sacked today according to TalkSport. Well, they are “reviewing his position”

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    How has he lost the plot? I think that’s a brilliant interview and exactly how interviews should be. In day to day life, managers do not have to get up in front of the world and explain themselves when things haven’t gone well. It doesn’t happen outside of sport. Every football fan complains about boring managers and cliches. Then you get a brilliant and honest press conference like this and people accuse Nathan Jones of losing the plot. Bollox. Fans demand to know what’s going on and then don’t like hearing somebody battling and backing themselves. Good for Nathan Jones I say. I liked Steve Morison and had no issue with his so-called “abrasiveness”. Do not moan about cliches and dinosaurs set in their ways, and then complain about somebody giving their honest opinions. Nathan Jones has only risen considerably in my estimations after this.
    I kind of like it, but he's definitely on the edge, his Management style will work at Luton, but not with higher-profile and more talented players, saying trackback, run faster harder, and get stuck in won't work, he'll be gone before the end of the season.

As someone said above, it would have worked here, he would have been great for us.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Jones is going to get sacked today according to TalkSport
    Wouldn't be surprised, it's the wrong club he's out of hs depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I’m surprised that anybody bothered replying to this post by Grangetown Blue. It’s either a mistake, a poor wind up or sheer stupidity.
    So….he’s “out of his his depth” at Southampton, but wasn’t at a club just 3 places below them in the football league ?

What are his best qualities? Tactical awareness, man management, player motivation? I’m suggesting he possesses none of these. *IMO

So….he’s “out of his his depth” at Southampton, but wasn’t at a club just 3 places below them in the football league ?

What are his best qualities? Tactical awareness, man management, player motivation? I’m suggesting he possesses none of these. *IMO
    He's twitchy like Bellamy