+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Queens Arcade doomed?

Queens Arcade doomed?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...pping-26137687

It has been dying on its arse for years. Looks like the aftermath of COVID will finally finish it off.

Re: Queens Arcade doomed?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...pping-26137687

It has been dying on its arse for years. Looks like the aftermath of COVID will finally finish it off.
    I havnt been shopping into Cardiff City Centre for years

The internet has been a godsend for me as I hate places like queen's arcade , St David's 2 etc .....bad news for the shop owners though

I have no idea why people do it especially at Xmas when it's busy

I used to enjoy a trip for music at spillers or buffalo but that was about it

It’s always been awful. The layout and the mix of shops was just wrong.
    It’s no wonder that it’s just used as a passageway.

Used to be heaving years ago when Argos was upstairs. Now Drapers has gone as well, is The Entertainer still there? Have to admit haven't been in there for some time.

Perhaps we should stop using these places (also Capitol Arcade) as somewhere to drink, eat or shop. How about opening the units up to other things?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Perhaps we should stop using these places (also Capitol Arcade) as somewhere to drink, eat or shop. How about opening the units up to other things?
    It's funny you should say that, to quote from the article "Acting on behalf of Sapphire, Addington Capital in 2021 unveiled plans to demolish the scheme for a new mixed-use development with commercial and retail space alongside a new hotel and upper level apartments. The plans centred around the creation of a new open street linking Working Street, Queens Street and St David’s Shopping Centre. While at a pre-planning scheme the project had the backing of Cardiff Council with positive feedback from a public consultation exercise.

As well as seeking to stabilise the current scheme, Addington and Savills will look for a new investor to take a mixed-use development forward"

Town has always been cyclical, there's always one end of town that's on the up and another that is in decline, there just isn't the population here to support the whole of town being thriving at the same time - and I guess that has been significantly increased by covid and the rise of online shopping.

I'm surprised the Capitol is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Town has always been cyclical, there's always one end of town that's on the up and another that is in decline, there just isn't the population here to support the whole of town being thriving at the same time - and I guess that has been significantly increased by covid and the rise of online shopping.
    That's the same for most cities

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think most town and city centres are dying - not so much cyclical or some parts up some down.

As you say on-line shopping, Covid.... and out-of-town shopping centres that damaged a lot of traditional centres from 30 odd years ago.

In Sheffield all the department stores have closed (Debenhams, Rackhams, John Lewis etc), the centre is full of empty shops and demolition sites. The pop ups and charity shops are fewer than a couple of years ago. Phone and vape shops are closing down. Even the 'new barbers' that appeared all over the place before Covid are disappearing. There are a few staples left (but with warnings about their dodgy future) like Boots, WH Smiths and M&S.

It looks as if planners are preparing for a future of little more than food outlets, entertainment venues and more flats on the sites of former shops. Even offices are going with the switch to WFH and services run by smart tech. It is happening really quickly too.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think most town and city centres are dying - not so much cyclical or some parts up some down.

As you say on-line shopping, Covid.... and out-of-town shopping centres that damaged a lot of traditional centres from 30 odd years ago.

In Sheffield all the department stores have closed (Debenhams, Rackhams, John Lewis etc), the centre is full of empty shops and demolition sites. The pop ups and charity shops are fewer than a couple of years ago. Phone and vape shops are closing down. Even the 'new barbers' that appeared all over the place before Covid are disappearing. There are a few staples left (but with warnings about their dodgy future) like Boots, WH Smiths and M&S.

It looks as if planners are preparing for a future of little more than food outlets, entertainment venues and more flats on the sites of former shops. Even offices are going with the switch to WFH and services run by smart tech. It is happening really quickly too.
    Using city centre shops for residential purposes was seen as bizarre 30 years ago but its definitely on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Using city centre shops for residential purposes was seen as bizarre 30 years ago but its definitely on the rise
    Yup, a homeless person in every doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, a homeless person in every doorway.
    Not for the want of Cardiff Council who move on homeless people whenever they can